Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

I can make my thoughts become almost silent

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
this sounds sort of like something me and my dad share. We both seem to be able to slow our minds down to the point of nothingness. Sometimes it seems to come on without notice. I will just suddenly become aware that i have been gone for a bit. dont know how to explain this. Does this sound familar?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by QueenofWeird

Many people don't think at all......

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

QueenofWeird you are living up to your name it seems. But honestly I think it is wonderful that you can still your mind like that. I think there is breakthrough when you are able to control your thoughts and the speed and chaos of your brain. I really wish I could do that but I even suck at being still for too long and my mind goes a million miles a second it seems.

However, since you posted a rather simple technique, I'm willing to give it a go and see if I can still my racing mind. Do you think that this will make you more receptive to seeing the forces that typically hide behind all the clutter and chaos?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Interesting name

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
yeah so, deaf people have this ability to do so, no sound and think silent...there are about 500,000 deaf people in america.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Silencing your thoughts can be powerful way to focus, however, most of us normal people can't make our mind stop thinking or think about nothing.

I find it incredibly useful to think about breathing. It's something you need, and it can occupy your conscience. It's helpful when going to sleep. Focusing on your senses is one of the best meditations I've found.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Lol, oh ATS you are an endless source of lulz.

Good job persons on the internet!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

A few months ago, at the end of sleeping I became aware that I had been in a state of zero thought. It was as if coming out of the sleep I was coming into existence from a state of nothingness. There was no pain there, but there was no pleasure either. It was just nothing. Now, this will be okay when I die, but why would anyone actually seek to experience this while living? I want as many thoughts as I can possibly have.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nothingness (pure awareness) is what you are prior to the thoughts appearing.
'Me' is just a thought that appears.

edit on 1-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
They used to surgically accomplish this enlightened state of consciousness back in the 50s. It was called a frontal lobotomy.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I have no problem to do the same when I go to sleep, but in the daytime, its sometimes crazy when I think 3-4 thoughts at once.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by jiggerj

Nothingness is nothingness. Awareness is somethingness. I am curious, however, how people can condition themselves into thinking and saying things that make no sense whatsoever? Even the most logical minds can suffer from the illogical tidbit or two. Does the thought of 'nothingness is pure awareness' come from the same part of the brain as religious irrationalities, I wonder?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
Ok like a lot of people I think a lot and it bugs me.

Our emotions come from our thoughts which have also helped us arrive to a perception, so an emotional body perception. The fact that people are doing something to bug you means that you have not mastered thoughts or emotions and you are probably perceiving something wrong.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Stormdancer777

according to a book i have [wait let me check think it's in the room]
ahhh!
Creative Imagery
How to visualize in all five senses
by William Fezler, Ph.D

when you mess around with one the other is affected

he provides visualizations [imagine a butterfly landing on a flower, again but slower, again...]
to slow down and speed up the perception of time
as a result of his using these he began to experience alterations in his perception of space

lol and we are expected to wait patiently by the church of scientism [and i am not anti-science by the way]
for peer reviewed experiments to prove whether space and time are aspects of each other or of something greater.
when we could be experiencing it NOW [some effort required]
though of course we'll be called hallucinating whack jobs till then
if ever.
ho-hum

That's interesting, I was going to look for some scientific studies on the subject.

The Space Between Our Thoughts
www.dailyom.com...
edit on 083131p://bSaturday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Nothingness is nothingness. Awareness is somethingness. I am curious, however, how people can condition themselves into thinking and saying things that make no sense whatsoever? Even the most logical minds can suffer from the illogical tidbit or two. Does the thought of 'nothingness is pure awareness' come from the same part of the brain as religious irrationalities, I wonder?

Because it seems like nothingness, that doesn't mean it was nothingness,maybe you slipped into another realm of existence for a split second, or maybe this existence is us slipping from true reality into this one and we don't have the ability to remember the other side.

When I was four I remembered, I became aware, I have a vivid memory of walking down the brick sidewalk in front of my home and realizing, I am here,

jiggerj, perhaps just as our bodies need rest/sleep, perhaps the space between our thoughts is respite for the mind.
edit on 083131p://bSaturday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)
edit on 093131p://bSaturday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Awareness is aware 'of' somethingness. Thingness is content.
What is aware of what is being seen right now? Is it a thing that can be described? Can you find it and grasp it and show it to me?
Is awareness a 'thing'? Or is it aware of 'things'?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

When I was four I remembered, I became aware, I have a vivid memory of walking down the brick sidewalk in front of my home and realizing, I am here,

You became 'self' aware. You separated yourself from the whole and since then you wish to return to wholeness.
This is the story of being human.
The 'self' is a mask we wear so we can pretend to be what we are not.
Awareness is what you are - there is no separate self.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

The Space Between Our Thoughts

The space is you and thoughts are just appearances that appear and disappear.
Watch them come and go and see that you never come or go - you are constantly present.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Does the thought of 'nothingness is pure awareness' come from the same part of the brain as religious irrationalities, I wonder?

Now there is a big difference between religiosity and spirituality.

There is a purpose and positive benefits

According to Andrew Newberg, a neuroscience author and head of the Center for Spirituality and the Mind at the University of Pennsylvania, prayer and meditation may boost brainpower and mental ability, Tom Heneghan writes for Reuters.

As Newberg’s new book, “How God Changes Your Brain,” explains, religious individuals and “even atheists can enjoy the mental benefits that believers derive from faith.” Exercises of faith such as meditation and prayer have beneficial effects on our brains, improving concentration and calmness. According to Reuters, brain scanners showed that “intense meditation alters our gray matter, strengthening regions that focus the mind and foster compassion while calming those linked to fear and anger.”

www.findingdulcinea.com...

Meditation found to increase brain size

People who meditate grow bigger brains than those who don't. Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found the first evidence that meditation can alter the physical structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced meditators boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with attention and processing sensory input. In one area of gray matter, the thickening turns out to be more pronounced in older than in younger people. That's intriguing because those sections of the human cortex, or thinking cap, normally get thinner as we age. "Our data suggest that meditation practice can promote cortical plasticity in adults in areas important for cognitive and emotional processing and well-being," says Sara Lazar, leader of the study and a psychologist at Harvard Medical School. "These findings are consistent with other studies that demonstrated increased thickness of music areas in the brains of musicians, and visual and motor areas in the brains of jugglers. In other words, the structure of an adult brain can change in response to repeated practice."

Read more at: phys.org...

that is the state

THETA - 4-7 cycles per second - day dreaming, dreaming, creativity, meditation, paranormal phenomena, out of body experiences, ESP, shamanic journeys.
"The brain is set up in such a way as to have spiritual experiences and religious experiences," said Andrew Newberg,

So even though you don't realize it you are having natural spiritual experiences, and I think those experiences are going to increase for you.

The evolution of religion in tribal societies was necessary, it was/is an evolutionary process, and like it or not we are programed to be spiritual, also religion/spirituality aided man and created reason.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You became 'self' aware. You separated yourself from the whole and since then you wish to return to wholeness.
This is the story of being human.
The 'self' is a mask we wear so we can pretend to be what we are not.
Awareness is what you are - there is no separate self.

Very interesting, I think sometimes we slip back into that state of awareness of becoming one with the whole, I have.

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join