It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post-election chaos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm just curious if anybody else thinks that, no matter the outcome of this election, there will be extreme anger, possibly even rioting on some level. This country is so bitterly divided it seems it is highly likely. I know, personally, the thought of four more years of Bush is almost unbearable. I'm sure the same goes for those who dislike Kerry. I feel four more years of Bush could bring major scale wars, and possibly even the end of civilization (worst case scenario of course). Bush supporters, from what I can tell, feel that Kerry will lower our guard, allow terrorists to attack, and hand our country over to the U.N. With such desperate and passionate opposition on both sides, it's almost impossible to envision this ending in a civil manner. What does everybody else think?

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
27jd - from what I see, the least that will happen is that on November 3, the winning party will gloat. A lot (that's why I don't plan on being on ATS that day). Of course, this will infuriate the losing party, and sow more bitterness.

I think the next President - be it Bush or Kerry - will have to make a very big show of national reconciliation. I don't know how it's going to happen, but barring a landslide (and by landslide I mean one of the candidates winning more than 55 percent of the popular vote, and at least 310 electoral votes) the next presidency will have to be one of unity. For example, having more than just one token opposite-party member in the cabinet would help.

However... I don't think it's likely to happen. The big problem as I see it - if this board is any indication - is that the eternal debate between Democrats and Republicans is no longer one of ideas. It's a blood feud, with each side being convinced the other one doesn't represent America and has no right to rule.

Add to that the fact that an increasing number of Republicans believe that Kerry is a traitor and unfit to be President, while on the other side Democrats are convinced that America is doomed if Bush is re-elected...

I just don't see, when the debate is now over which side is more American, how there can be a reconciliation or a bipartisan government after this.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
I just don't see, when the debate is now over which side is more American, how there can be a reconciliation or a bipartisan government after this.

I don't either, I think this is the dawn of a new, bitterly divided country either way. It's ironic that it comes only a few years after we were more united than ever before in my memory. It's hard to imagine things getting better. I'm just afraid this administration has scared alot of Americans into supporting them, it's also ironic that the majority of Bush supporters are the red-blooded, all-American tough guys, yet they look to this administration to protect them like little children look to their parents, they have no interest in domestic issues because they are so scared. It's hard to understand. This should be Bush's campaign slogan:

join