It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Probe Finds Ice and Organics on Mercury!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

It depends from where you start to measure...but as I am pretty sure you want to make a point, let's say the obvious one, but with an insurance ;-) Mount Everest, starting from sea level. NOT from its base...though.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomCommander
What more do you want?

Photographic evidence obviously.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Photographic evidence or personal account evidence?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blindIo

Anne Machin. It was reported that it's the highest mountain ever. Higher than Everest. Tops higher that ~40,000 feet.

No one has ever returned from a expedition from it because of a tribe that hunts those that go near it.

Located on the Nan Shan highlands of Tibet.

Everest can only top to ~29,000 Feet from sea level.

So maybe that is the reason why it isn't the highest mountain recorded on Earth, to keep people away from it and to save lives.
at least they did something right.
edit on 12-12-2012 by FreedomCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Just a brief comment to point out that Hydroplate theory of geology here on earth accurately predicted organics and ice in the craters of Mercury and other solar bodies including asteroids over 20 years ago. While Walt Brown's work is not without flaw, its predictions are proving true in many areas. You can read up on it at: Link

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Again, I do not know where you found that claim, but :
www.peakware.com...

A high snowy mountain massif, Amne Machin was the second of two Chinese mountains to be wrongly measured in 1929 with elevations surpassing 30,000 feet. Both Minya Konka (24,790 ft.) and Amne Machin were estimated by American botanical explorer Joseph Rock to be 30,000-footers. In Rock's 1930 article in National Geographic, his estimate was reduced to 28,000 feet to make it more believable, but a subsequent erroneous report from an American military pilot confirmed that a 30,000 foot peak did indeed exist in the Amne Machin Range. In 1949 the Amne Machin summit was climbed by a Chinese expedition from the Peking Geological Institute, who reported its true height to be 23,491 feet. It was later revealed, however, that the Chinese party had climbed the wrong peak, and had measured it incorrectly. The peak that they had climbed actually measured 20,524 feet, only slightly smaller than Amne Machin. The Chinese blunder was concealed until 1980, when the Chinese Mountaineering Association finally announced that Amne Machin was still unclimbed. The following year, the Chinese government opened its doors to one of the first foreign climbing expeditions ever permitted in their country. This was a United States party who successfully sent Galen Rowell, Harold Knutsen, and Kim Scmitz to the summit.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomCommander
Photographic evidence or personal account evidence?

There were only three words in my reply, I do not think it was too difficult to understand.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by blindIo

Hey, dude, I'm telling what I find. Old or new, it's just what I find.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

No problem Freedom!
Let's leave it here, it's still off topic :-)

Cheers! See ya on another thread, for sure ;-)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I don't own this in any shape or form.

It's kind of like the perspective of people thinking the world is flat, the world is round, and the world is hollow.

I'm just taking it in with a grain of salt, nothing else.

To throw in some expedition, You got these guys.
edit on 12-12-2012 by FreedomCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Video stolen from this guy.

Just a little impression I did of a forming black hole, viewed from the space shuttle 8)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

You can book a visit to the North Pole through various organisations.
www.adventure-life.com...
www.arcticodysseys.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

*sigh*

I ask for photographs and I get a crappy youtard video.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I wrote a major article on this theme for the December 2013 issue of 'Astronomy', but it was behind a subscriber wall.

Well, it's now available, because the article just earned a major space journalism award. So please take a look about why they said it was so good!!

www.astronomy.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CALGARIAN

NASA has just announced that MESSENGER, the first spacecraft to orbit Mercury, has confirmed the presence of ice covered by an unknown organic material inside craters near the planet's north pole - two major building blocks for life!

blogs.discovery.com...=fbsci1

Wild!

I thought Mercury was like 10000000000 degrees lol and was too hot to harbour anything! Well I guess everyday i look at the news nowadays, I'm proved wrong!

i think mercury is tidally locked. and with a tenuous atmosphere convection cannot even the day side and night side temperature. also inside craters permanently in shadow anyway can be cold enough for water ice and probably other types of ice as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: CALGARIAN

NASA has just announced that MESSENGER, the first spacecraft to orbit Mercury, has confirmed the presence of ice covered by an unknown organic material inside craters near the planet's north pole - two major building blocks for life!

blogs.discovery.com...=fbsci1

Wild!

I thought Mercury was like 10000000000 degrees lol and was too hot to harbour anything! Well I guess everyday i look at the news nowadays, I'm proved wrong!

i think mercury is tidally locked. and with a tenuous atmosphere convection cannot even the day side and night side temperature. also inside craters permanently in shadow anyway can be cold enough for water ice and probably other types of ice as well.

Mercury isn't quite tidally locked. When it's around the aphelion (furthest from the Sun in its orbit), it does kind of a half-turn: www.youtube.com...

But the ice on Mercury is, of course, in the permanently shadowed craters. Perhaps there's some hidden under its surface too.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join