It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Life Terminator: CNN says military is 20-30 years away from "Autonomous Robots"(YEAH RIGHT)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Ever since I've been hearing about the drones that are constantly circling the skies over Gaza and Palestine I was wondering if our military has yet used their preprogramed drones to carry out attacks without any human interaction. It's already completely obvious that these drones can be autonomous or semi-autonomous because the military already uses them on preprogrammed flights taking off, doing surveillance, and then landing.

As I was thinking about this over the past weeks just this morning on CNN I noticed they posted an article talking about the new drones the military is using especially the stealth Navy drone that looks like a mini B2 Bomber that they have and were wondering "if" and "when" these were going to be able to be pre-programmed to identify and kill their own targets without using a pilot. The interviewer was talking to a US military representative and the military advisor said that we were 20-30 years away from having a drone that would be able to think and act on itself to pick out and destroy targets, as CNN was also showing scenes from the movie Terminator and Stealth. When CNN repeated that technology was 2-3 decades away and then showed the Navy's new drone taking off and landing by itself autonomously I was just thinking to myself "YEAH RIGHT". If we can already program our drones to take off and fly and land on preprogrammed routes, it would be simple as hell to just program that same drone to just launch a missle at a target as well.

I couldn't believe the stupidity of this subject as they were saying one thing but contradicting it just another minute later. I couldn't find a link to the new CNN news story but I'll just leave you guys with this older post and video: www.cnn.com...

20 to 30 years from autonomous drones that can take out their own targets my ass!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Think of our technological progress in recent years, it's only speeding up.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

all we spend our money on is making weapons, only a matter of time.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The two responders are missing the OP's point, I think. His point is that we have the tech now, basically, and 20-30 years is a lie for something we can already do.

Personally, I don't know if we have the tech or not yet, but I'd imagine 20-30 years is a very pessimistic estimate either way. I'd imagine in 30 years time we'd be doing way cooler stuff than that.
edit on 30-11-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

when i read Autonomous i assumed self governed artificially intelligent weapons

20- 30 sounds about right, we dont have that now.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
20-30 years, yeah right

Moor's Law

Moore's law is the observation that over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. The period often quoted as "18 months" is due to Intel executive David House, who predicted that period for a doubling in chip performance (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and their being faster).[1]

Not to mention that we are on the verge of swapping to a new computing technology (Quantum computing), which will increase computing capabilities a thousand fold.

The speaker is not military and does not have any knowledge about technological advancements, he is making a poor assumption.

Namaste.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim
The two responders are missing the OP's point, I think. His point is that we have the tech now, basically, and 20-30 years is a lie for something we can already do.

Personally, I don't know if we have the tech or not yet, but I'd imagine 20-30 years is a very pessimistic estimate either way. I'd imagine in 30 years time we'd be doing way cooler stuff than that.

We don't have the tech now though, no way.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

When the 'intellegence' technology catches up, the mechanics will be more than ready. I don't believe it will take 20 years for this to happen though.

I'm sure these clips have been posted here on ATS before but just to remind everyone...and this isn't even classified material!

edit on 11/30/2012 by ZombieWoof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by humphreysjim

We don't have the tech now though, no way.

I agree, not yet, but I also agree with WiseThinker. We're going to see some really major breakthroughs in shorter and shorter periods of time, due to the rate at which technology is improving at an exponential rate. We could see something truly astonishing in 30 years time at current rates.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
robots are real. I have a robot interaction story but this stuff is classified military . just make you think i'm the crazy one. if ufo's are real, they are, then we can reverse engineer them, if aliens have ufos, maybe they have very sophisticated androids, no doubt we have engineered androids completely autonomous and indistinguishable from the real thing. people are so closed-minded.

top topics

join