It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Looks at Doing Away with $! Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The biggest reason that all the prior $1 coins failed is because they kept the $1 bill. Why would you have both? I don't see a $.25 bill or a ten-cent bill. Either way, they need to make up their mind about which they will use.

Before anything else they should get rid of the penny.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
$4.4 billion over 30 years is such a drop in the bucket that we shouldn't even be worrying about it. We could save $4.4 billion by stopping our foreign occupation in less than a month, and countless other things that the government wastes our money on.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm a US citizen but I lived in Canada for 7 years. I don't understand why people are worried about weight. How many one dollar bills do people usually carry on them? Unless you get paid in singles and have like 20 bucks in loonies on you they're not heavy. Maybe if you have some kind of rare disease that makes you unable to carry what weighs less than a pack of cigarettes it would be a problem.

I thought I might not like it either then I lived there for 2 days and realized it's a better system. Like universal healthcare.

It's totally a reluctance-to-change issue. And the misconception that they're going to be carrying Hogwarts money.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Just a thought.....

How will the strippers keep the coins from falling out of their G strings?!?!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I hated the change over from paper bills to the Canadian loonie and toonie at first, but then got used to it and find it handy for vending machines and such.

The one thing though is the weight of them. If I'm paying twenty bucks for something, I tend to dig through my purse counting out loonies and toonies in order to get rid of the excess weight. You'd be surprised how much coinage you accumulate over a short period of time because it's just easier to pull out the wallet and pay with paper bills most times. We women have bottomless pits for purses and eventually find all kinds of goodies in there (change, gum, kitchen sink, reciprocating saw, etc)... so the weight does tend to accumulate if you don't clean it out regularly.

But like one poster mentioned, most people tend to toss their change into a jar at home... and when it's $1/$2 dollar coins, you end up with a nice chunk of money on hand for a rainy day.

It's really not a big deal guys, and if it can save the taxpayer money overall with reduction of printing costs, why on earth would you be opposed ?

Every penny of savings for your country is a benefit, not a liability.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Just a thought.....

How will the strippers keep the coins from falling out of their G strings?!?!

Ah...

Now here's a group of individuals who will benefit the most from getting rid of the $1 bill. When there's no more of those, the men then start stuffing $5 bills in their g-strings instead.

I would sometimes join the boys on a Friday liquid lunch. They always went to the bar for the buffet, cheap bubblies, and the stripper afternoon entertainment. Laughed my butt off watching them shove $5 bills down the g-strings while the oddball cheap SOB would try to plunk a loonie/toonie down the front of the gal's undies every now and then... until the rest of the guys would start taunting him for being so bloody cheap.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
So will strippers start wearing coin purses around their waists? I mean how I am supposed to put a $1 coin in a g-string honestly.
On a serious note I really like my $1 bills because they are light weight in my pocket and easy to carry. Could you imagine walking up to a convenience store counter that runs out of $10 bills and has to give you $13 dollar coins for change?

I hear in Canada you have to tip a stripper $5, because that's the lowest Canadian bill. So I suppose if they got rid of $1 bill strippers will make a lot more money.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The Congress has been trying to shove $1 coins down our throats for decades. First the ones that actually were decent and meaningful with the Silver Dollars....Then the Susan B. Anthony's that went over like a rock because people do NOT want a dollar coin that can be mistaken in a pocket for size to a quarter. Some of these Congressmen today were actually serving back then and ought to recall personally why that one was rejected before making the new one with the SAME problem. The changes to the edge didn't change the problem of size to the touch. Doh!

Now they're just down to FORCING it on us by taking the alternative outright. Yeah, that's Government lately. They'll ask us nicely and if the people don't like their idea they WILL insure we obey by force or lack of option eventually.

They can keep their dollar coin on general principle at this point.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well let's see, the first $1 coin was made in 1794 and the first dollar bill was made in 1861. For 67 years the USA had $1 coins. And ever since the introduction of the $1 bill, they have been trying to reintroduce the coinage to no avail. I usually only have about 20 bucks in my pocket at any one time. If my pocket get about 1-2 dollars worth of change, it is irritating to me. But I would forgo the irritation to save money for in this country. I am sick and tired of every money saving idea being tossed into the 'it's only a drop in the bucket' sea of sh#t when the total of these drops equal many many many billions of dollars.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Since so many people seem opposed to $1 dollar coins because they look like quarters - evidently most of those folks are BILND since the current $1 coins are gold colored unlike any other coins we've got. Yeah the Susan B Anthony dollars were pretty much a bust and they mostly got melted, but I go to the bank and get rolls of shiny gold dollars to carry around - they make great impressions on most folks.

Why don't we start minting $2 coins to replace the Jefferson $2 bill nobody seems to observe outside race track bettors windows? Perhaps this would help overcome the resistance to $1 coins we're experiencing. On the other hand, forget about $5 coins they'd be too cumbersome to carry in change for a Jackson.

ganjoa

What is even better is handing a younger kid working at a store a $2 bill. Bless her little heart she thought I was trying to pass off fake currency. The current Sacajawea Dollar is at least a different color and slightly larger than a quarter if I remember. I would definitely prefer it over some of the dollars I have come by in my life time where I wonder how it doesn't just disintegrate.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Ok, I am guilty of handing out some swampy coins from the cup holder in the car.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

At least he wasn't being cruel and freezing it first.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This will totally justify my viking coin bag!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I at first misread your threads title and thought it said

Congress looks at doing away with 1 Billion dollars. I thought pffft 1 Billion? what? They can blow 1 Billion simply by ordering take out.

I think we will eventually see the Dollar bill go. Not that soon though imho

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Some one else may have mentioned this already but can you imagine how many cash machines, vending machines, etc. will have to be changed! That is a serious expense!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Spending all the money to convert those machines to something else would actually help certain sectors of the economy by giving them something to do or something or modify and or install.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by grayeagle

Some one else may have mentioned this already but can you imagine how many cash machines, vending machines, etc. will have to be changed! That is a serious expense!

You would be surprised how many already have the capability to accept the coins. As long as the slot is large enough to accept the coin, a small modification to the "verification" mechanisms and a coin catch would be a nice boost to some companies out there.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I like the idea, but I say why stop there.

Why not make all money out of a scarse substance that is both strong and easy to test the validity of?

It would be counteractive to inflation, unproductive to counterfiet it, and strong so it does not need to be reproduced often or at all.

What that substance could be, I do not know, but I do like the idea of more effective moneys.

edit on 12/1/2012 by Bleeeeep because: changed reroduced to reproduced

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Or is that just the excuse they are using to make you all docile to the fact that coins won't even be in circulation eventually due to the rise of the "cashless society"?

step by step by step...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NurzeChris

Is this the change he was running on?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join