It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treated like "A caged animal" Bradley Manning Wikileaks Hearing.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hey guys, the Chinese Communist Party called and congratulated our government for advocating and promoting their punishments for those that expose government wrongdoing.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think what it comes down to was Manning's original motivation for the Leaks.

If he saw war crimes and atrocities and said something about it, but his superior's told him to stay quiet and it was done out of Conscience and because he made an oath to live by the constitution ...then it's genuine and soulful.

If he was on a hacker trip and just wanted to make some $ or thought it was cool to release a bunch of this and have some ego trip about it, then it was done under false and guilty motivations.

We need to find out what his original motivation was for the leaks. then we'll know if he's traitor or a hero

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

And what people were ever put in danger because Manning showed the world the US government and Military are a bunch of liars, murderers and torturers that have no respect for human life, unless it suits them?

Who?

Names, i want names, not vague slogans.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I don't need it quoted for me nor do I require lectures. I serve in the Army now. I also know what to do if a crime is committed and I find out about it. What Manning did is NOT the right way.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

Poor baby. Someone get him a bottle of milk.

Traitorous bastard.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Most of the folks who died were killed in revolts in the middle east. Tunisia?

Some of them were likely endangered and had to be relocated or extracted in the middle of critical operations. Many of these people may or may not have been killed in the process. I don't know. But I do know how these things work and I do know how people would be placed in precarious situations because of a classified info leak.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente
Hey guys, the Chinese Communist Party called and congratulated our government for advocating and promoting their punishments for those that expose government wrongdoing.

Clever. Except there are legal methods for dealing with the kinds of things you're talking about. What Manning did was treason.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I've been out of the Army for a long time. Do they still hang for treason?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Look at it this way. He didn't reveal movements, he didn't release anything of timely nature that would give away some plan at strategy in the theatre, nor did he release any technical know-how or weaknesses that would give up our military's advantages.

What he did was release CYA material because somebody out there #'d up and didn't want to take the heat. If anything, it exposed corruption endemic within at least one chain of command. Pretty weak-# case for treason, imo.

Now some people argue that that material incites outrage and further acts of insurrecton or terror or whatnot. I think that's a crock of # too. As if first hand accounts of people on the recieving end over there don't do enough of that already. (Look at it from their perspective. If some foreigners rush and occupy your home, who are you most likely to believe? The foreigners, or your neighbor who was minding his business and took a hit of shrapnel. I can't believe it's that hard to be master of the obvious.)

If the U.S. wants to claim the high ground in their actions, then they've got to take it. It doesn't look like what they've been doing in this particular case. A war for hearts and minds indeed.

Somebody's being made an example of, and that's about it. (You know what always rolls downhill, keep that in mind if you go enlisted.) Former military here too, so take that for what it's worth.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

He was in a position of trust, which he violated. His job was to keep his mouth shut.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Seems some of the war monkeys on this thread are less arsed about the illegal use of weapons on innocents than they are about treason.

Shame on you.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Having followed some of the Manning case, there are a few things that can be stated:

While it may have been noble that he did copy and release some of the information, all of which was classified, the real problem is that he did such. While the government has tried and been struck down by the courts in the past, specifically the Pentagon papers, the facts remain, he did release classified information to the general public.

As noble as his intentions may have been, he is still going to have to pay the price for getting caught. He did not release this to say a publication, he released it to wikileaks, and got caught. While the information is deemed to be in the public interest, and the damage that it caused from its releasal, has caused problems, what Private Manning did, in short was wrong and he did break the law.

While it may seem that his punishment is wrong, or even cruel, the question is what should he be entitled to while he is in jail? Is he fed, cloathed, cared for and in short his health maintained? Yes it is, that is what the law, both the civillian and the military prescribes. As long as they do not violate the UCMJ or the legal precepts put out, then he is not going to be released, nor should he be.

War is not a pretty thing, the movies do no justice, nor can they. People die, on both sides, and there are often wrongs that are further inflicted during any armed conflict. People get hurt, die, that is the nature of war.

For my ownself, I do not believe he release all of that information, or had access to such, and if he did, then our government is in a far worse situation. He is being used as a symbol, all though a poor one, but a symbol and a message for those who would follow in his footsteps and release classified information.

Be it that he is innocent or guilty, it is now in the perview of the lawyers and the Court Martial board to determine such and what his punishment is or should be. And if he is indeed guilty, then he needs to be punished, as perscribed by the law.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

Yes. And for dessertion.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

He should swing as an example to the rest of them that this country isn't going to tolerate treason.

I've had enough of these spoiled brats in uniform.
edit on 11/30/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Seems some of the war monkeys on this thread are less arsed about the illegal use of weapons on innocents than they are about treason.

Shame on you.

Shame on you for assuming I didn't see those videos and thought "i hope they try and fry those guys".

Murder is wrong.

Treason and violating your oath is wrong too. There is a right and wrong way to go about things in the Army. Y'all have this ridiculous notion of how the Army handles war crimes and how it handles criminal behavior in general. It isn't the Hollywood anti American psychodramas that are peddle on ATS.

Bradley Manning is wrong. He is a traitor. Those pilots in those.videos are wrong and they should be tried and I hope they are.

The Oath of enlistment isn't a set of clauses that can be followed selectively. You either abide by it or you don't.
edit on 30-11-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Edit:

I'm in an aviation unit. I fly as a crew chief on an air assault Blackhawk every day. I know a lot of air cavalry guys in Kiowa helps and Apaches. If this happened in my unit they would come back in handcuffs.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Yeah that's called jail moron. (not you op)

I hope they make an example of this traitor.

I agree with you 100% - what was he expecting would happen? There's only one end to that trail, and it's hard time in Leavenworth at best.

However, I think that a little collateral fallout ought to occur, too. One, whoever was his clearance adjudicator should be tossed, his CO and immediate NCO had the responsibility to see his behavior deteriorating and should have stepped in, also the security officer in charge of the secure area ought to be in Leavenworth along with him for allowing the guy the opportunity to do this.

The SO ought to be like the padlock on a footlocker - he's there to help keep the users honest. If a user screws up, it's partly the SO's fault for LETTING the guy screw up. He provided an atmosphere where it was allowed to carry material in and out. He didn't check the bags. He allowed systems to have writable media with no oversight or lockout. So part of the blame for Manning ought to fall on him as well - if the place had been run right, Manning might have had the urge but not the opportunity to screw his life over.

Not that I'm sympathetic to the guy. It's just that the screwup here was a team effort.

/it's f-bomb free!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
He's doing this for his country.. His people. Be proud.
This man will be in our childrens History books.

One of the most Patriotic moves since the the 1945.
edit on 30-11-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

I think technically he could do the Danny Deever but they don't actually DO it anymore.

They certainly won't for this. It'll be Bubba the deranged 18B for a cellmate, though, I'd bet.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I find some of the replies to this thread utterly disgusting. Manning saw atrocities and he followed his heart in exposing those CRIMES. He did the right thing by exposing those crimes, because being knowledgeable of a crime, yet withholding that information, IS A CRIME. Furthermore, the world deserves to know about those war crimes, not have them dealt with in some hush hush fashion where everything would be swept under the carpet. That's what really pisses them off, that he showed the world these horrendous acts. Being treated as a criminal for exposing crime is simply absurd. I don't give a flying f what oath he was under, you people are so indoctrinated you can't see the god damn nose on your own face. WAKE UP FOOLS.
edit on 30/11/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Pfft. I think it's less that he was following a noble cause to expose wrongdoing than that he was a whack job that was becoming more and more mentally unstable as time went by.

His CO knew it, too, and wouldn't downrate him because they were short personnel.

Add him to the next cell over, I say.

edit to add: Oh, and by the way? If he actually DID perceive that a crime was being committed, how did he know it for sure? As a PFC, he's not in any position to be making that judgement, and if he WAS convinced of this, what he should have done was take it to the base JAG office, or the OOD, or provo if they had one, or the base CO, or hell, you can, if you're bold and decisive bump it WAY out of channels and approach General Chapman with it.

The point being, there are channels for this sort of thing to evaluate classified material that appears to describe a crime (a real one,not just 'I don't like the government or the military').
edit on 30-11-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join