Sabotage suspected at San Onofre Nuclear Plant

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Sabotage suspected at San Onofre Nuclear Plant

www.eastcountymagazine.org

Despite disturbing finding, Edison seeks to restart trouble-prone nuclear facility

Hearing Nov. 30 in Laguna Hills as nine cities voice concerns over safety issues

November 30, 2012 (San Diego)—Southern California Edison has notified the Nuclear Regulatory Commission of possible sabotage at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating facility, after finding coolant poured in the oil reservoir of an emergency backup generator at Unit 3, Energy News reports.

The FBI is taking over the investigation and criminal charges are possible, according to a plant employee who spoke under condition of
(visit the link for the full news article)

Union members and management at the plant, meanwhile, have been locked in bitter contract negotiations, and the atmosphere further deteriorated after the company announced in August that more than 700 employees would be laid off before the end of the year.

"Most of us are kind of baffled by it," the SCE employee said of the alleged tampering. "While morale is as low as it has ever been and the environment is as chilled as it has ever been, no one I know could imagine doing such a thing. First of all, the chances of getting caught are so high. But more importantly, what are you accomplishing? You're only endangering yourself and your coworkers and the surrounding public. I can't understand the logic behind it.
"On the other hand, I'm also not completely surprised because the environment really is so harsh. People can do crazy things when they are under extreme stress."

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
edit on 30-11-2012 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Why would anyone that worked there do this? Certainly they live in the affected area. As do their family and friends. I cannot even believe that they would even consider starting up a reactor again at this point. After reading the article I believe the plant should be shuttered forever.

Could someone that understands nuclear power a little better than I could explain how else this could happen other than sabotage?

www.eastcountymagazine.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Interesting....

All this while Iran is having trouble on their end too.....

Once is coincidence twice is happenstance three times is enemy action.

So I hope not to see another thread.

SS

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It can only be an employee. Either it is just incompetence or sabotage. I imagine there is a very thorough screening process, and anyone dumb enough to put coolant in an oil reservoir would not be working their.

That leaves only sabotage.

It is also impossible to sneak in there. That place is tighter than Fort Knox. So it can only be someone who works there.

Glad I don't live in that area anymore.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
They have a virtual tour of the plant SONGScommunity

This was kind of disturbing to read.

"A nuclear plant doesn't have many tours open to the public for safety and security reasons," said Pete Dietrich, senior vice president of SCE and chief nuclear officer. "But with this virtual tour, our community members, our customers and anyone around the world can come inside the plant and understand what the facility does and how it works."
Article

This also was more disturbing

The virtual tour is part of ongoing efforts by the utility to inform and educate the public about the plant and repairs, corrective actions and a proposal to restart and operate Unit 2, where the leak occurred. Engineers and community liaisons are also conducting open houses in several communities in the region and are available to speak to groups upon request.

Are these good ideas?
"Anyone around the world can come inside the plant ", virtually of course.
"Engineers and community liaisons are also conducting open houses in several communities in the region and are available to speak to groups upon request"

I'm on my iPad nod can't watch the tour, maybe someone could check it out.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

Here I haven't watched it yet, but this is the YouTube version:

top topics

join