It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA-Sponsored Trolls Monitor Internet & Interact With Users to Discredit Factual Information

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Yes

Like Reddit...

In the early days, reddit's community was built up thanks to hundreds of fake profiles created by the site's co-founders, according to Steve Huffman (coincidentally, a reddit co-founder). To make the site look populated and diverse, Huffman and Alexis Ohanian, the other founder, would submit links of their own choosing, each time under a new username.

A harmless hack of their own website to increase traffic? Or the deceptive use of sock puppetry to drive traffic to their site.

People like to think that they are creating all of this spontaneously out of their 'likes' and 'loves' that they take so seriously and hold so dear.

Everyone would like to think that their opinion counts. And there are bad people that capitalize on that desire.

That is why it is so difficult for them to hear that they had little or nothing to do with it.

In the case of reddit? It can be said with confidence that they built a fair amount of their success based on subterfuge.

Call it splitting hairs if you wish. I call it as I see it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

The CIA doesn't need paid trolls, they have autonomous personas that can interact in all forms of social media and discussions, that are far better at it than any human could ever be.

No they don't.

They are trying but they do not have it. That is what a fair amount of the interest in Natural Language Processing is all about.

So I think that your post is interesting, you are aware that they are trying to create AI with the potential to be not only indistinguishable from a person, but 'better' as you say, yet you think the data center is for ebay.

Listen, I sense that you are a good smart person with a quick mind. Why don't you get serious about checking it out, and go learn what Natural Language Processing is. if you do not already. Then you will understand more about what it would actually take to create a 'chat-bot' that is better at 'ATSing' than you or I. One that you or I could not recognize as not a person.

Here, I'll leave you with this, which is pureley anecdotal woo-woo, but take it as you like it: friends and I do think that we found one of what you are suggesting right here on ATS. Then we found the 'text corpus' that the thing derived just about all of it's posts from. Then we started f-ing with it, Then it got banned.

They're trying,

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I know this to be a fact. There are entire websites set up to draw certain people in and they have all their gatekeepers. Sockpuppets I believe is what they are called. They never travel alone.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Everyone likes to think they are of such value as to warrant oversight from the people who could not care less about them.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

They're trying,

Not anymore.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

What I find funny is the fact that we can prove that CIA paid internet trolls exist. It has been documented.
It is a fact. There have been people who have testified to this. There is ample evidence to support it YET????

If you even SUGGEST that they are here on ATS you get laughed at,mocked,ridiculed,and scorned.
It gets even worse of you point fingers at who they may be.
Sometimes it is quite obvious who they are.
People apparently think that our beloved ATS is somehow immune.

I could not agree with this statement more. I have seen certain members that seem to attack certain threads and certain threads only, as if they are take interest in no other threads here - attacking (sometimes repeatedly) other posters who have a different view of the subject matter. They also seem to attack those who present threads in a factual and very logical manner; who, many times, cite multiple sources of proof for their claims. This thread touches upon something I have been wondering about ATS; since before becoming a member even.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Rubicant13 because: mispelling

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

SIGN ME UP!! I totally want that job... just sit on my ass and troll the internet all day and get PAID!! hell yes i say.. i'll watch what you all have to post daily.. woot woot! oh wait i do that now.. but I'd get PAID hahahaaha...

where's this facility? I need to go apply.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

A suburb of Salt Lake City.............go for it.

Tell 'em I sent you.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
There are many here saying the CIA are trolling and feeding us lines of BS.

I say most of the BS is already on ATS. The CIA can't compete with ATS people in feeding stuff to the masses

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's interesting PA. Good work.
I se no ulterior motives by you haha!
And there are some petty comments that really
make me wonder why a giant reply is needed because
they think you put it in the wrong forum.
No wonder you don't post much, I wouldn't either with
chilly receptions like some of these.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Really? Then what is the Utah facility for then?

I am sorry, I apologize in advance.

I fully expert to be audited for this post and I don't really care.

If you don't think that the U.S. Government is not engaging with its citizens in the manner suggested by the OP?

You are deluded.

And underinformed.

And live in a cave.

As far as this thread is concerned?

You can all fend for yourselves and pray that another thread like this comes along to help you all out of the 1500 foot well that you insist on living in.

Even if they have computers that decypher phone calls and look for certain word patterns, The shear number of calls is beyond humans to assimilate and cordinate.

Number of cell calls in US.

The average person makes or receives 8 mobile phone calls per day. That is roughly 2.4 billion phone calls across the 300 million cell phone user in the U.S. The average mobile phone user in the U.S makes 250 phone calls per month or 3,000 phone calls per year. There are 300 million cell phone users in the United States so if you do the math that is 900 billion cell phone calls made per year.

And that's just the US cell phone.
Add in texts, tweets, email, snail mail.
Then add world wide for all the above.

Example:
Crimnal A calls crimnal B.
Employee A and B have to cordinate and research previous calls and texts for criminal A and B.
Meanwhile millions of other calls pass though.
It's not possible to monitor all communications and catch all the bad guys. Not until computers can think like humans and put 2 and 2 together.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminated0ne
Since when is a blog allowed to be posted as a Breaking News article? I see an AboveTopSecret link at the bottom of the blog, so I'm guessing the owner is a member here... Trying to get traffic?

Anyway... This conspiracy theory (CT) that government agents are trolling forums is getting out of hand, and I have a theory that it is destroying the CT communities. It is almost impossible to have a civil conversation on any CT website, about any CT, without having people attack you, and call you a government shill, and have the entire conversation derailed simply because you don't believe every theory imagined.

How ironic is it that the conspiracy they believe is real and happening, which they believe is done in order to derail topics, is actually causing the very people who believe in said theory to derail topics.

People believe what they want to believe, and people think what they want to think. No government agent posting on a forum is going to change anyone's mind. You can have all the agents in the world counter arguing about 9/11, but none of it will ever be of any value because the people who don't want to believe the official story, wont. It would be a giant waste of time for the agents... and all for what?

The blind will always be blind. The theorists will always theorize. The disbelievers will always disbelieve.

Sure they might have an agent or two watching and listening for things that threaten national security, but there isn't huge rooms full of hundreds of agents on computers replying to everything that they don't want people to believe or know... that is ridiculous.
edit on 29-11-2012 by illuminated0ne because: (no reason given)
But these peoiple are not necessairly CIA or any govt agent. They could be people who simply disagree with the posted theory what ever that might be.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Not anymore.

Prove it.

2nd.

P.S. Dude, honestly, if you are aware of something we are not, please point it out somehow. Anyhow.

Thanks.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The trick is to filter out the chaff so after a bit of training you can learn to filter out things like calls to the operator/customer services lines etc and then you repeatedly drill down so you know what is good or bad data and you keep looking for the good data

but as a brit i'd expect every country to have its own data centers / trolls etc as after all its a battleground out there

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
How many phone lines can one employee monitor?
How many emails can one employee per day?

Currently there are just over 2,000,000 federal employees.
You would need many millions more to monitor EVERY form of comm.
You can't hide that many. We can't afford the ones we have now.

Fear mongering.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

How many phone lines can one employee monitor? How many emails can one employee per day? Currently there are just over 2,000,000 federal employees. You would need many millions more to monitor EVERY form of comm. You can't hide that many. We can't afford the ones we have now. Fear mongering.

Dude, go back to sleep.

The Utah data center is capable of dealing with Yottabytes of data...

The yottabyte (derived from the SI prefix yotta-) is a unit of information or computer storage equal to one septillion (one long scale quadrillion or 1024) bytes (one quadrillion gigabytes). The unit symbol for the yottabyte is YB.

en.wikipedia.org...

You are silly. What do you think this is? The 1970's and we are dealing with Ma Bell.

What are you envisioning? A bunch of operators switching out jacks on a routing board with one hand on their headphones?

Seriously. Fear Mongering?

I am beginning to believe that ATS has clouded your ability to discriminate between what is an actual threat and what is not.

It's supposed to work the other way around.

It's alright, I suppose, things are moving so fast these days.

I'm out.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Xoanon because: bye

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

The system is programmed so it can automatically monitor all forms of chat and can use certain keywords to be able to point the conversation towards a human being able to properly understand the conversation as a mention of "these shoes cost me a bomb" may cause an alert to a computer the fact that the person listening can tell that it's two 18 year old females talking the same as they have every night will allow the operator to ignore the conversation

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by samkent

The system is programmed so it can automatically monitor all forms of chat and can use certain keywords to be able to point the conversation towards a human being able to properly understand the conversation as a mention of "these shoes cost me a bomb" may cause an alert to a computer the fact that the person listening can tell that it's two 18 year old females talking the same as they have every night will allow the operator to ignore the conversation

It can scan and process billions of text and voice conversations, all forms of communications, including internet. It can be customized to find keywords and phrases, and depending on sensitivity settings will alert appropriate agents when a "hit" is discovered, that agent can then monitor the parties involved and if the assessment warrants, further surveillance can be authorized.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

SIGN ME UP!! I totally want that job... just sit on my ass and troll the internet all day and get PAID!! hell yes i say.. i'll watch what you all have to post daily.. woot woot! oh wait i do that now.. but I'd get PAID hahahaaha...

There actually used to be a program where you were assigned a block of web sites to peruse for posts that had unusually accurate info. It was voluntary and unpaid, though, and the websites were really off the wall political.

NSA and CIA are two very very different agencies, though, OP. And "occupycorporatism" is renowned for being inaccurate, especially in technical postings. I've drubbed your source publically a number of times, she doesn't dare respond anymore.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

Not anymore.

Prove it.

2nd.

Prove what?

You know, the interesting thing about data processing centers is that people have to build them.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

It was far more interesting on the inside.... You'd be amazed at the opportunities that kind of access can present.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join