It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Projections of sea level rise are vast underestimates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Projections of sea level rise are vast underestimates

www.newscientist.com

..... That's the take-home message from two studies out this week that look at the latest data on sea level rise due to climate change.

The first shows that current projections for the end of the century may seriously underestimate the rise in global sea levels. The other, on the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica, looks at just how much of the water stored up there has been moving into the oceans.

Both demonstrate that global warming is a real and imminent threat...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New science upsets calculations on sea level rise, climate change

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just on the heals of the last thread you can find right here... we have a counter to the daring assertion that the opposite was true....

Why the discrepancy?
The likely culprits are continental ice sheets. "[In IPCC models], the two big ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica contribute nothing to future sea level rise, because they assume that the mass loss from Greenland is balanced by ice gain in Antarctica due to higher snowfall rates," says Rahmstorf.

But satellite data show that the ice sheets are losing ice to the oceans.

This is one of the double-take moments for me....

It appears more 'scholarly' debate is in our future; with "experts" parrying via publications.

It appears this scientist has already taken the material which I referenced in the related thread... and still found himself drawing the opposite conclusion.

As I stated earlier today (New science upsets calculations on sea level rise, climate change) the only thing I know is that there's no way carbon taxes will address this problem realistically.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-11-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Global warming is natural and not really a threat. As long as were not in the way

and people wonder why we have been having freak weather.

edit on 29-11-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well, that whole climate-change is a natural cycle, whether we add to it or not..

But what about the crust-displacement theory that says Ice Ages are not really global freezes, but rather shifting tectonic plates that put different areas into the polar regions? Yes, the sheets are melting as we warm up.. but way back when Wisconsin had its massive glacier/ice sheet, the North Pole was located in Hudson Bay.

I smell something fishy.. and I blame the red herring we're being fed by contentious sources!!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
"global warming is a real and imminent threat" well yeah. Once the caps are melted all that ice is gone "Ice age end", there is going to be loads of liquid water, due to slightly raising temps there will be more evaporation, leading to an glasshouse effect. tropical weather all round.

Mother nature at its best.

The End of an ice age. Dam and we will be here to record the transition in all its glory.
Climate scientists 500 to 1500 years in to the future will have a really good start at a actual recorded climate model.

Start moving family to high ground. Saves having to do it later.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Obviously scientists don't have enough information right now to say whether glacial ice melts completely on either cap before an ice age begins. Without that knowledge it is hard to predict how long we have before the next ice age.

We have some signs in the ocean currents stalling, but the effect is still speculative. We might get another ice age or maybe the ocean will just keep warming and send the planet into a runaway effect.

My little brain is telling me that when sequestered carbons and CO2 are released in massive quantities it causes some significant changes to natural processes. I have no doubt that we have changed our planet through our machination.

My question is how much is our fault and how much is cyclical? There is no answer for that. There is plenty of speculation either way.

Two facts remain:
1) the Earth is warming and
2) the oceans are rising

I believe we must change how we waste energy and quickly find solutions to fossil fuels so they can be phased out. That will never happen in the current capitalist atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

what about the natural balance, massive re-vegetation clean oceans "Great Pacific garbage patch" Even this post an be equated to a pollution quantity. What about emerging (GWP) products like Nitrogen trifluoride all the liquid toxic waste. Even with a 0% pollution out put the balance is still way off. We would need to continually physically scrub The extra natural accruing Co2 to even consider a balance.

Now lets put a $$$ to the only planet we have. Only on the cusp of human devastation will we act, because we have to not because of how much profit someone can make.

And lets face it.... We all like the growing technological life style we all want.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
New York City underwater?
The toxic wasteland that is New Jersey converted to an area to fish for mutant species?
The sunny shores closer to my house?
Tropical fruits picked from trees in my backyard?

Promises, promises.....

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

As I stated earlier today (New science upsets calculations on sea level rise, climate change) the only thing I know is that there's no way carbon taxes will address this problem realistically.

No they won't and it almost seems like sabotage to continue to pursue it. Progress had been being made til that nonsense was introduced. There's plenty that can be done to get the anti-AGW dogs to back down even if incrementally. Carbon tax will keep their teeth bared.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join