It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infrared Zoo...This is so cool!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Infrared light shows us the heat radiated by the world around us. By viewing animals with a thermal infrared camera, we can actually "see" the differences between warm and cold-blooded animals. Infrared also allows us to study how well feathers, fur and blubber insulate animals. As you tour this "Infrared Zoo", see what new information you can gather about the animals here that you would not get from a visible light picture. If you would like to learn more about infrared light and the infrared universe visit Cool Cosmos. Enjoy your tour!

I have been so bored with the same topics over and over again....I came across this and thought it was really cool. I will share some pictures from this site...coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu...\...there is much more to see, but here is a sampling...11 pictures in thumbnail view...go check out the rest on your own if it interest you.

Infrared Chicken...

Chickens are warm-blooded birds and generate their own body heat by converting the food that they eat into energy.

Infrared Ducks...

These warm-blooded ducks are covered with thick feathers which insulate them from the cold.

Infrared Bald Eagle...

Since eagles are warm-blooded, they radiate their own heat.

Infrared Emu...

This emu had been standing in hot sunlight before entering its shaded shelter to cool off.

Infrared Collared Lizard...

Notice how the lizard's body temperature has risen as it basks in the sun!

Infrared Turtles...

These turtles have just walked out of pool of cool water. Notice how cold they still are.

Infrared Baboon...

The bright areas on the baboon's body are places where her fur is thin, allowing her body heat to escape more easily.

Infrared Cat...

In the infrared images, you can see the cat's warm glowing eyes and the heat from the cat's ears and mouth area.

Infrared Dog...

Notice how cool the dog's nose is!

Infrared Elephants...

Notice how cool the tip of the elephant's trunk is after being in the water.

Infrared Giraffes...

Notice that their patches, which would appear brown in visible light, are warmer in the infrared, while the light beige (visible light) borders surrounding the brown patches are cooler in the infrared.

There you have it 11 to start with. Hope you enjoyed the presentation!

BAW33

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

That is so cool - my kids would love to see that, as would I.

Also, half of those would make awesome avatars - especially the Monkey, Cat and Emu.

Thanks - S&F
edit on 29-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Pretty cool!

I stole the cat pic to make into an avatar for future use. It's awesome!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thought you would. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

It was my hope that would be the case...unfortunately not very many found this interesting...oh well at least it wasn't a complete waste. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Here are some images I've taken.

Great Grey owl

Here is a photo of it.

Porcupine

Mule Deer

Sleeping Robin (You can see its been there for a while because it has transferred a lot of body heat to the branch.)

My Friends dog inspecting swallow holes in a sandy bank

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
BrokenAngelWings33
Id love to be able to see this..The presentation you showed was wonderful thank you for sharing this it was a nice break from the doom and gloom..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thanks for the additional pictures. The porcupine one is interesting.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Sweet just like you...there were a bunch more, I wanted people to go check it out for themselves...it does bring a different perspective to view doesn't it....thanks glad you enjoyed this.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Thanks for the good thread!
Porcupines are one of my favorite animals to come across at night. They are so friendly. I've learned that if you stand next to a shrub when you are near a porcupine, they will wander over and visit for a bit. They want to know if what you are chewing on is better than what they have found to chew on.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Just don't make any sudden moves...or they might stick you! lol
edit on 11/30/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Wow, thanks for sharing!!!

(o:

Will look into that!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by laffoe

Thanks and glad you figured out the avatar thingy!

new topics

top topics

join