It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last night I literally forgot how to dream. Very unique/bizzarre. Explanations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ok so this is quite hard to explain but ill do my best.

Let me start by saying ive never ever experienced anything remotely like this before. I am hoping others have had a similar experience and may be able to give their story too.

Also want to add that last night we had a lunar eclipse, incase it is somehow possibly related.

BEDTIME

I went to bed at about 11:30ish. I know it didnt take long till i seemed to have fallen asleep. During the next 30mins approximately, i seemed to have a "dream", though i am not liking that term this time. Doesnt describe the event well.

Let's imagine there are 3 states we can be in with regards to sleeping/dreaming. There would be:
1) The dream state/place
2) The sleeping state/place; and
3) The waking state/place.

THE DESTINATION

I was not in any of these places/states. Where i "was" felt totally different and unlike anything ive felt before. In this case it seemed to be some outdoors function type area. Very bad description though, very hard to describe. But it wasnt like it looked some mystical place or anything - it looked relatively like the real world.

While in this place, i was seemingly 'setting up' for something. The feeling is that i was planning out or mapping my nights dreams. I know, it sounds weird. But before i mapped out anything i built some kind of statue. My memory is telling me that for some reason it was a statue to Isis (though i have recently watched 'John Carter', so the Isis element could be due to that). Regardless, i built this very basic and rudimentary 'staute' out of what i recall to be akin to an organised pile of chairs or furniture (???) in a rough pyramid shape.

As soon as the statue was built, i was suddenly out of the outdoor function room type environment and taken somewhere else. At this point though my memory fails me.

NEXT THING I KNOW

The next thing i recall was being in another state entirely again. Not any of the first 3 states mentioned above or even this initially 'statue building' state, but something in between sleeping and dreaming. The over-riding thought i had was of a kind of stress or annooyance at having to map out my dreaming and sleeping. I kind of didnt want to have to organise it and was frustrated that i did.

I then recall hearing a voice (prob just my internal dialogue, but not 100% convinced) which basically said "you just gotta close your eyes. Remember, you just close your eyes, the rest just happens". After this i felt the knowing sensation of being awake and i felt like "oh # yeah thats right. just close my eyes. I dont have to go through all that to sleep and dream." Then i fell alseep because i have no more recollection.

CONCLUSION

So bascially i seemed to "go somewhere else", somewhere in between sleeping and dreaming, kind of like a 'backstage' place where the subconsciouss pieces get put together. I am aware of astral travel, even once successfully achieved it, and it was a very different feeling to astral levels.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Where for all intents and purposes you forgot what to do to dream, you forgot that it was a natural process, and you went into the controll room to kick-start it? The feeling when i remembered just to close my eyes and sleep in order to dream was so bizzarre. I have never EVER been in such a disconnection that i forgot how to dream.

Thought?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
...Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Where for all intents and purposes you forgot what to do to dream, you forgot that it was a natural process, and you went into the controll room to kick-start it? The feeling when i remembered just to close my eyes and sleep in order to dream was so bizzarre. I have never EVER been in such a disconnection that i forgot how to dream.

Thought?

Wow - Sorry, but don't think I can be of much assistance...though, I do find your ability to recollect what you have presented...enviable.
Hope someone-else comes along who can be of assistance.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Interesting dream OP S&F

I will offer my thoughts on this, maybe something in my interpretation will be of service to you.

THE DESTINATION

I was not in any of these places/states. Where i "was" felt totally different and unlike anything ive felt before. In this case it seemed to be some outdoors function type area. Very bad description though, very hard to describe. But it wasnt like it looked some mystical place or anything - it looked relatively like the real world.

While in this place, i was seemingly 'setting up' for something. The feeling is that i was planning out or mapping my nights dreams. I know, it sounds weird. But before i mapped out anything i built some kind of statue. My memory is telling me that for some reason it was a statue to Isis (though i have recently watched 'John Carter', so the Isis element could be due to that). Regardless, i built this very basic and rudimentary 'staute' out of what i recall to be akin to an organised pile of chairs or furniture (???) in a rough pyramid shape.

I would interpret this as you "mapping out" your current life behind the scenes so to speak. The mention of a pyramid shape seems you are creating a mystery for your true "self" to solve. The Pyramid shape represents the ultimate mystery IMO.

NEXT THING I KNOW

The next thing i recall was being in another state entirely again. Not any of the first 3 states mentioned above or even this initially 'statue building' state, but something in between sleeping and dreaming. The over-riding thought i had was of a kind of stress or annooyance

This is your current state of awareness, hence the "stress & annoyance" experienced. You intentionally forgot that you created this mystery "behind the scenes", what should be enjoyable has become frustrating. That is the point though..

I then recall hearing a voice (prob just my internal dialogue, but not 100% convinced) which basically said "you just gotta close your eyes. Remember, you just close your eyes, the rest just happens". After this i felt the knowing sensation of being awake and i felt like "oh # yeah thats right. just close my eyes. I dont have to go through all that to sleep and dream." Then i fell alseep because i have no more recollection.

This could possibly be a subtle reminder from your subconscious by saying ~ "Remember, you just close your eyes, the rest just happens" ~ as a reference to the work that was put forth behind the scenes. You had to close your eyes or "lose awareness", that way you could teach yourself what your "self" needed to learn.

So bascially i seemed to "go somewhere else", somewhere in between sleeping and dreaming, kind of like a 'backstage' place where the subconsciouss pieces get put together. I am aware of astral travel, even once successfully achieved it, and it was a very different feeling to astral levels.

You indeed are somewhere else now and most definitely "between dreams" as in two states of awareness. You are beginning to put the pieces of the mystery you created together. I would look at it as a positive message to your subconscious like "work with me here"

The feeling when i remembered just to close my eyes and sleep in order to dream was so bizarre. I have never EVER been in such a disconnection that i forgot how to dream.

Thought?

The last bit IMO is again your subconscious trying to get you to look at something differently, so differently in fact you should not look at it with you eyes.

Maybe there is another way to "see" the world around you.

As you begin to "see" with your eyes closed, a new awareness will come in.

You are being asked (by your self) to remember.

edit on 1-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

What a coincidence running into your here.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Great interpretation friend
I agree with ALOT fo what you write, you may be onto something here. I am certainly one of those people who never stop seeking 'truth'. I do not believe in coincidence and look for meaning in all places. I believe that everything happens for a reason.

I describe the above because recently i am been struggling with a concept and feel it is important to my personal and spiritual evolution: Do we live in a strictly Service to Self reality? Think about it, I cant think of a purely Service To Others action - even the most well-intentioned STO action results in a feeling of satisfaction to the person doing it. So if so, how can one be Service To Others if we exist in such a STS reality? This idea REALLY challenges the mind - what indeed would a Servie to Others reality be like if this one is predetermined Service to Self?

I pondered it for a long time until recently letting it leave me, no answer, solution or insight derived as of yet. I perhaps wonder if this line of thinking is greatly benefitial and my higher-self/subconcoius is trying to remind me of it? There's a chance i could be being asked to return to this query? Its something to chew on at least.

Originally posted by SyntheticPerception
I would interpret this as you "mapping out" your current life behind the scenes so to speak. The mention of a pyramid shape seems you are creating a mystery for your true "self" to solve. The Pyramid shape represents the ultimate mystery IMO.

I do believe in the idea that we tend to map-out our current lives 'behind the scenes', i am quite sure this is where my interpretation of 'where' i was came from. Interesting to consider the pyramid shape as relevant. Hmmm...

The last bit IMO is again your subconscious trying to get you to look at something differently, so differently in fact you should not look at it with you eyes.

Maybe there is another way to "see" the world around you.

As you begin to "see" with your eyes closed, a new awareness will come in.

Interesting take. How does one see with their eyes? They sense? They feel? Energy? This could be a great insight - thank you. This time we are in has alot to do with energy. But, still being able to recall this quite alot, I really dont think it had this message behind - to be aware of energies and learn to possibly 'see' them.

It had that glitch in the matrix feel about it. Something significant. But regardless, i will certainly take your advice on-board. I am already quite open about and sensative to energies, so will look to increase my awareness.

Thanks again mate, i enjoyed reading your interpretation alot!!

edit on 2-12-2012 by srsen because: .

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

I describe the above because recently i am been struggling with a concept and feel it is important to my personal and spiritual evolution: Do we live in a strictly Service to Self reality? Think about it, I cant think of a purely Service To Others action - even the most well-intentioned STO action results in a feeling of satisfaction to the person doing it. So if so, how can one be Service To Others if we exist in such a STS reality? This idea REALLY challenges the mind - what indeed would a Service to Others reality be like if this one is predetermined Service to Self?

Thank you for giving me a few things to mull over that have been in the back of my mind.

Thanks again mate

You are welcome.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I found your experience interesting for a particular reason. I've often thought that there is a 'loading zone', for lack of a better term, that we enter before dreaming. A 'place' where certain aspects of the dream are decided and agreed upon. Like the physics, whether or not you can fly, that sort of thing.

One of the things that led to this idea was how people in the dream react when I become lucid and/or start to bend the 'rules'. It's almost as if I turn invisible to them, when they should be watching me levitate or whatever.

I like to think of dreams as 'channels' you can join. Some of them are 'public' and you share them with other dreamers, like an internet chat room. And they have 'terms and conditions' that the visitors must adhere to. I don't remember ever agreeing to any rules, or planning my dreams, but I think that's the point; you're not supposed to. Your 'glitch in the Matrix' expression seems quite fitting.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma
I like to think of dreams as 'channels' you can join. Some of them are 'public' and you share them with other dreamers, like an internet chat room. And they have 'terms and conditions' that the visitors must adhere to. I don't remember ever agreeing to any rules, or planning my dreams, but I think that's the point; you're not supposed to. Your 'glitch in the Matrix' expression seems quite fitting.

Interesting take. You may be onto something. The first 6 or 7 years of my life, I could lucid dream every single night with absoluely no effort whatsoever. I thought it was completely normal and i did it at will. One night, being a curious young man, i was dreaming and i saw an attractive woman. This may sound kinda awkward and irrelevant, but i walked up to her, lucidly, and well, grabbed her breasts against her will. I dont know why, but ever since that moment i have been unable to lucid dream. Going off your idea, i wonder if i 'broke the rules' in some way because ever since then lucid dreaming has been impossible. I have successfully astral travelled, but not lucid dream.

So who knows mate, perhaps you are right - maybe i got a glipse into this part of our dreaming process??

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

reply to post by WanDash

Coincidence?
I'm thinking - Conspiracy!

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
...I do not believe in coincidence and look for meaning in all places. I believe that everything happens for a reason.

While this is a possibility - can't say I'm as convinced as you (and - as I once was of the same).

I describe the above because recently i am been struggling with a concept and feel it is important to my personal and spiritual evolution: Do we live in a strictly Service to Self reality? Think about it, I cant think of a purely Service To Others action - even the most well-intentioned STO action results in a feeling of satisfaction to the person doing it. So if so, how can one be Service To Others if we exist in such a STS reality? This idea REALLY challenges the mind - what indeed would a Servie to Others reality be like if this one is predetermined Service to Self?

Have considered this question, as well.
Without "service to self", I wonder if "self" would be able to survive.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Well. *ahem* (glances around nervously). This isn't something I would've been likely to volunteer, but since you went first; I must confess to having done exactly the same thing.

See, I used to believe very differently about dreams. I considered them a completely inward and internal experience, and as such, felt that how I conducted myself in them was nobody's business but mine, and that everyone and everything in them was mine to do with as I pleased.

Once becoming lucid in a dream, I'd often just start attacking the nearest person for no reason at all. I'm a very non-violent person but I equated my actions with playing a video game. I've mentioned this on other threads. Now, one of the things that first led me to this 'rules' and 'public channel' concept is that usually, for whatever reason, I can never really hurt anyone with my punches. By the time I connect, it's almost like a big squishy force field reduces my hooks to nothing more than annoying taps. The people usually just look at me as if to say 'WTF are you DOING?' Or they completely ignore me.

I find it quite odd that you haven't been able to lucid dream since doing that. It seems like you may still be harboring some guilt over that? I've done it more than once, but maybe I was in a 'channel' designed for such activities, and everyone there was there for that reason?

I have since abandoned the violence as a good thing to spend my lucid dream-time doing, and now usually try to fly or walk through walls, with varying degrees of success.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Also, I wanted to add:

In my 'channels' theory, a dream and an astral projection are almost the same. Both are an OBE where the consciousness 'goes' somewhere and gets input from an external source. The main difference is that with astral travel, instead of visiting a 'dream world' setting, the input is from the 'real world'.

I also believe that I've traveled out-of-body and dreamed AT THE SAME TIME. I used to dismiss these experiences as pure dreams, because I'd be flying over otherwise familiar territory, and everything was as it would be at that hour, only "WAIT A MINUTE, I don't remember there being a big Ferris-wheel in the middle of that intersection!"

I now attribute this to actually visiting the place, but having my mind half-in-and-out of the dream-state, sort of manifesting things from my imagination directly into the actual setting.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Once becoming lucid in a dream, I'd often just start attacking the nearest person for no reason at all. I'm a very non-violent person but I equated my actions with playing a video game. I've mentioned this on other threads. Now, one of the things that first led me to this 'rules' and 'public channel' concept is that usually, for whatever reason, I can never really hurt anyone with my punches. By the time I connect, it's almost like a big squishy force field reduces my hooks to nothing more than annoying taps. The people usually just look at me as if to say 'WTF are you DOING?' Or they completely ignore me.

I find it quite odd that you haven't been able to lucid dream since doing that. It seems like you may still be harboring some guilt over that? I've done it more than once, but maybe I was in a 'channel' designed for such activities, and everyone there was there for that reason?

Thats really interesting, thanks for sharing! I what you mean by that "WTF are you DOING?" reaction people in dreams give. Ive experienced it myself. I often dream of zombies (dont ask lol), and sometimes its an all-out battle for survival. Sometimes i can kill every zombie in the dream, other times they give me that "WTF??" vibe and i cant hurt em.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps there are channels within the dream world, each with it different rules?? Perhaps we have 'agreements', subconciously of course, that this dream is about x,y and z and in this environment pnly a, b, and c is allowed? Break the rules. the consequences would be that which you had already prescribed for yourself if you broke them??? Perhaps my golden rule was not to do what i did, when i did it, boom no more lucid dreams??? Then again, perhaps it is a guilt thing? Though i wouldnt think so TBH. Or it could even be a long-term (across many lives) problem i had in the past when dreaming? So when i did it again it was like i used up my only strike?

This is a very interesting area. If any of this is possible, then maybe my OP is describing a re-setting of dream boundaries? Making new rules????? Maybe lucid dreaming is back on the table now and it was this 'reseting' that created my odd experience???

I also believe that I've traveled out-of-body and dreamed AT THE SAME TIME. I used to dismiss these experiences as pure dreams, because I'd be flying over otherwise familiar territory, and everything was as it would be at that hour, only "WAIT A MINUTE, I don't remember there being a big Ferris-wheel in the middle of that intersection!"

THIS i am very familiar with. I have dreas where i am not flying but instead each step is like im on Earth with 5% gravity. I can leap houses with one step. In these dreams EACTLY what you describe occurs. Its like reality, but its not reality. I have likened these dreams to a mini-astral travel. As if astral travel was achieved unintentionally and accordingly was not fully achieved, so instead a dream/astral travel resulted. These dreams always feel amazing though, even when they are in an environment that is not so positive.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash
Have considered this question, as well.
Without "service to self", I wonder if "self" would be able to survive.

Great question. Im not even sure what the answer would be. If it is a STS reality, then i would argue that no, some level of STS action would be required. Afterall, eating, sleeping, etc are all STS actions. So without them we would die. Right? If we are in a reality in which STS or STO are both equally valid choices (as most believe) then physically we still need those STS actions, but perhaps no so on a deeper level. I dunno, its really difficult as i cannot imagine any reality that would be purely STO.

Though i had a thought recently. Lookin at this from other levels - in the plant world: STS - A weed. STO - a fruit tree. In the animal world: STS - A leech. STO - A dog. In the human world: STS - human being. STO - ??? also human being?? Angels?? I dont know. Just something to ponder.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Thats really interesting, thanks for sharing! I what you mean by that "WTF are you DOING?" reaction people in dreams give. Ive experienced it myself. I often dream of zombies (dont ask lol), and sometimes its an all-out battle for survival. Sometimes i can kill every zombie in the dream, other times they give me that "WTF??" vibe and i cant hurt em.

The only dreams that involved zombies for me was at a buffet style restaurant

I always seem to experience what feels like "teachers" in my dream. The "buffet" was different levels of scary zombies that progressed in scaryness. I had to gain enough realization in the dream to make them "disappear", after I would make one go "poof"
another even scarier undead would show up.

Odd. Still not sure what to make of that one.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash

reply to post by WanDash

Coincidence?
I'm thinking - Conspiracy!

HAHA

I promise I am not stalking you!!!

If I am is on a completely subconscious level so don't get mad at me.

I like reading the dream forum, one of my favorites I frequent.

edit on 2-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Dreams are very important, absolutely vital to the extent that to loose the ability to dream would cause death. It is also extremely important to understand that dreams are an entirely natural process and that to interfere with them will damage that process. You talk of astral travel, and I know lucid dreaming is very popular these days, but these sorts of mind games are really bad news and damage one's ability to dream properly. This dream, or rather odd state that you have experienced, may be a warning that, assuming you are indulging in such mind games, you are damaging your ability to dream properly and should therefore stop.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Zombies. I wish I dreamed about them more often.

Your assessment of a possible self-imposed exile from lucid dreaming does make sense. Whether it's 'guilt' or something else, it does seem to have had a profound effect on you. I believe everyone has the right to dream in whatever capacity they desire though, so I hope you're able to 'let it go' so to speak.

THIS i am very familiar with. I have dreas where i am not flying but instead each step is like im on Earth with 5% gravity. I can leap houses with one step. In these dreams EACTLY what you describe occurs. Its like reality, but its not reality. I have likened these dreams to a mini-astral travel. As if astral travel was achieved unintentionally and accordingly was not fully achieved, so instead a dream/astral travel resulted. These dreams always feel amazing though, even when they are in an environment that is not so positive.

I've experienced dreams similar to the low-gravity scenario. I've also had ones where it's like the exact opposite; I can barely move, it feels like I'm trying to wade through jello. Then I realize somehow that I can really truck along if I use my arms and legs together (like a gorrilla). I've always wondered if this wasn't some kind of residual pre-evolution memory, a la "Altered States". These dreams aren't exactly lucid, but they are set around my city, in the middle of the night, and nobody seems to be able to see me.

So yeah, it seems to me like all of the conditions are there for achieving an OBE, but the brain is still tripping on '___', so the signals are slightly 'corrupted'?

new topics

top topics

join