It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If health care should be a right shouldn't water and electricity be one too?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Hey, no one seems to bitch about the free military protection, free police protection, free parks, free emergency response, and free benefits of national space association.

Oh wait, all that stuff isn't free, it's paid for by taxes!

Why bitch about the cost of health care? If you're uninsured, and get hurt, and you're not on medicare or welfare or social security, or you're not a retiree with medical benefits... basically if you're an able bodied individual without health insurance, you pay out the ass!

The fact is this country's already on the government-insurance-healthcare billing cycle, and a minority of people are the only ones who get screwed with backbreaking costs. I think a solution is in order, and government coverage has to be spread.

"Oh but government should stay out of healthcare!" Uh-huh. It's already waist deep in health care, providing it for those on welfare, social security, medicare, etc, through state and federal levels. We have the FDA making sure things are safe. Basically if you're a loser without a job, a retiree, you're covered, if you're rich enough you can buy your own health insurance, and it's the middle and upper classes that are left out.

And we do get 'free' water. Never saw a fountain in a public park? We do get 'free' electricity. If you're too poor to pay the patheticly small cost of it, you get state or federal assistance. Also, it's federally regulated. I suppose we could take those regulations off so it's not 'free' anymore and have another Enron.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Hmmm mwm, i normally jive with you but...
i see where your going with your reasoning with food, so ill make an exception....water free to grow your PERSONAL food, but not for commercial farming. Both food and water, at the level of SUBSISTANCE should be free, meaning plan on eating alot of white rice and government cheeze....but above that needed to survive, your on your own.

Tiabunnsu,
while government certantly provides subsidies or entitlements to some groups and not others regarding health care, in no way do they pay the full costs for the treatments, and oftentimes hospitals/doctors end up eating the difference, which helps drive up the cost of healthcare.
I'm willing for a generous society to allow some subsidies of healthcare for those in true need (emergency care) but do not feel that the gov should pay the full costs or provide it for those that can provide for themselves.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Not sure if this fits, but there are laws stating that people can't be shut off from their primary power source for heating in the winter. So the power company can't shut off your gas if you don't pay until April. Of course, this involves mounds of paperwork. In triplicate.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If health care should be a right shouldn't water and electricity be one too? Ihave thought of this...you can't survive without them today. Well, you can, but not in the cities...you know what I mean. Problem is, who would pay for it...LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Abso-effing-lutely!!!

Add to that the right to free information (internet) and we have a serious reason to ammend the UN charter of Human Rights.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
What about the right to a certain wage....or wealth.....or good times�..why dink around with the small stuff like an idiot trying to comprehend a large word.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join