It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island Cops Make Teenagers Do Push-Ups As Punishment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by geldib
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

He totally abused his powers, hes not judge, jury and executioner like Judge Dredd, this isn't a comic book. Now a days more people have records than not because of these overzealous buttholes.

Would you rather he had arrested them? Once they are in the system it's a done deal. He did not shoot them or beat them. He probably saved from the judge jury and executioner.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by geldib

"Or maybe the judge might of thrown the ticket out and no punishment or record, but the cop eliminated that option when he decided the kid was guilty, then he decided the punishment without the ticket be scrutinized by anyone."

True, but the family would most likely have to pay court fees. The cop may of saved his parents the money and hassle that is the justice system.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
Reply to post by geldib

"Or maybe the judge might of thrown the ticket out and no punishment or record, but the cop eliminated that option when he decided the kid was guilty, then he decided the punishment without the ticket be scrutinized by anyone."

True, but the family would most likely have to pay court fees. The cop may of saved his parents the money and hassle that is the justice system.

Can you define "might of"?

Did you mean "might have"?

When it comes to mail box vandalism, most judges don't mess around, it's a crime that's rampart in New England, even I engaged in this activity 2 decades ago, unknowingly. My friends broke mail boxes without my initial knowledge, when they broke their 1st mailboxes in front of me, I began liking the activity..

I didn't need push-ups, all I needed was to hear the penalties for that injustice..

Mail box destruction should be a felony IMHO. I partook in this activity and agree with this law.
Doing push-ups instead.... no brainer.

edit on 29-11-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

There are no court cost if the judge throws the ticket out. Now if you pleade not guilty and he finds you not guilty, then you would pay court cost. To anyone who agrees with this, imsgine having a 16 year old daughter and this cop pulls her over for speeding or whatever. Then the cops says he can add additional charges to make it worse, but he would let her go right then for some sexual gratification. Now most girls would probably say no, but there are some who would do it. I see no difference between what i described and what this cop did. If you agree with what he did then one day when a cop ddcides to beat you up because he decided that puishment fit the crime don't go crying to the courts for justice because you wanted to eliminate their job.
edit on 29-11-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Reply to post by JibbyJedi

"Can you define "might of"?

Did you mean "might have"?"

you mean "may of" and yeah I meant might have. Im not good with the words

I agree with you about just needing to hear the penalties, I know mailbox vandalism is a federal offense, that sounds pretty bad to have on your record all by itself.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by geldib

Im really looking at this topic with the point of view that im in those teens shoes. whether what the cop done was right or wrong isn't up to me but I would have accepted the punishment.

I don't have children but if I did I wouldn't want an officer to even talk to my child without me there. If im not mistaken I think their not suppose to.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by geldib

It's a far leap between sexually assaulting a child and having them do pushups. The type of cop who would sexually assault a child wouldn't bother with the ticket anyway, but go straight for the coercion. I had teachers make me do pushups in school as discipline. Why would you assume a cop would sexually assault a girl? I'm not saying it could never happen, but these two things do not compare.

And there are always legal costs in court. Lawyers aren't free whether you're guilty or not.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Absolutely agree. If a choice was given, do push-ups or go to jail, then not a bad judgment call.

There is a part of me that is apprehensive because this amounts to police taking law into the own
hands, and that gives me pause. But another part of me realizes that LEO's take law into
their own hands ALL DAY LONG--the can write a ticket or not, or jail someone or not based
on their opinion alone, and not the strict rule of law. I have been let go when I should have
gotten a ticket or gone to jail, and I have gotten tickets I didn't deserve, all based on
one LEO's mood, or perspective at the time.

It's a tough call, but I like the old school aspect of this, like the coach pf the high school team
punishing poor behavior with extra physical exercise.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What morons! This is the best punishment those police could've handed out! Do they think sending them to jail and ruining their lives will help society? No let's all play by the rules and anyone one single person who breaks the smallest rule should sit in prison mandatory-yeah right.

I agree with the cops on this one, and I really hope the parents are upset too.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by geldib

Seriously? Are you a teen? Do you have one?
Because I did have a teen, that had been in trouble, this is the way it should be.
I had an officer get into a heated argument with her superior in my DRIVEWAY. Because the superior said he would take my son in. Why, because he knew him and wanted to have a "discussion" with him on the way.
I was all for it as we knew him well. My son actually respected him, and has continued to have talks with this officer, now that he has grown up a bit.

That is the way it used to be, and thankfully still is with most of the police in our small community.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Seems like a good punishment to me. I mean I wasn't a good egg either and had a lot of tough discipline which helped me out and while I'm sure some will say it's not right or doesn't work for everyone it is certainly a lot better than what the cops could do in some circumstances.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I am on the fence about this one. Part of me agrees with it and the other half wonders what the responses on here would have been if one of those kids had a heart attack while doing those push-ups and died. My guess is there would be pages upon pages of how horrible of a thing it was to do and some of whom who are applauding now would be critcizing it calling for those officers heads on a pike saying they have no right to do such things. Then there is the issue of personal responsibilty. If they were hurt they risked a law suit.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I agree with the Police. That was the kind of punishment years ago. It's only these bleeding heart liberals that ended it, and criminals flourished.
When i was a kid in the UK, (I'm 59 now) if a copper caught you doing anything he would give a smack up the Tab (Ear), and send you on your way. If it was serious he would either take you home, or to the police station, and contact your parents.
Discipline was harsher those days but it didn't do me any harm, it only made me respect other peoples property, and feelings, and it taught me courtesy.

Tony

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
The point of what I am trying to say is that by punishing this kid, this cop is saying by his action "You are guilty", with no presumption of innocence. Without that right whats to stop cops from executing us when they judge us guilty? Do you not understand where this can and will lead? If we give them an inch, they take a mile. By definition his job is not to be the judge. We have the Right to face our Accuser in court which would be the Cop. By doing these push ups the Accused is allowing the Accuser to also be the Judge and Jury, but I guess that is OK. I am sorry I feel so strongly about this since its fine with others for cops to trample on our rights.
edit on 2-12-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I agree with cops being allowed to do things like this but the key word is *allowed.* As it stands they aren't allowed, it's not part of their remit and it isn't recognised in the criminal justice system.

Maybe it should be included as a power and allowed? It'd be something like 'restorative justice.'

A huge problem with what they did is proportionality. How do we weight that? What comes after push-ups?

Few of us have any problem with certain types of criminal being beaten, but the systems are in place to protect us all from being treated as/mistaken for that 'certain type.' The Police are there to work within the law and are definitely not there to make up suitable punishments on the fly. Maybe the public should be asked if they'd like to see push-ups being codified for discretionary use on juveniles?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The police service is a strict and uniformed service which is why you see police officers exhibiting strict behaviour out on the streets. It's not that they are abusing their powers or their position but this is the way we are trained. However, I never choose to preach to people. I'm more of a person who gives advice and explain why I am taking the course of action I am taking. I'm a big believer in bringing back national service to get discipline back to where it was. As much as police officers treat people with respect, there appears to be a lack of understanding that respect is a two way thing.
edit on 2-12-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by geldib

Here's the thing, cops aren't there to determine whether you are guilty or innocent. In a cops eyes, if they are arresting you, you are guilty. It's the courts job to determine whether that is actual fact or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join