It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio sinkhole grows to football field size overnight!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I have reported this in a couple of threads already, but I wanted to open it up for the whole ATS community at this point.

This is a new sinkhole that has recently opened up and grown quite large just overnight.

www.19actionnews.com...

Wednesday afternoon, the Dover Fire Department responded to a report that the ground had shifted at Newton Asphalt Plant, 2411 State Route 516, causing a large sink hole. The issue was called in by employees at Newton Asphalt. The fire department says that State Route 516 is closed to traffic for an unknown period of time because the roadway is seriously compromised.

www.19actionnews.com...

More to follow as the details come in.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Another Source

Another massive sinkhole has emerged, this time outside of Dover, Ohio. According to WTOV9, emergency crews have been forced to close down an 8-mile stretch along a road in Tuscarawas County because of the rapidly growing monster. Officials said the sinkhole is 30-feet deep and as long as four football fields, and it’s still growing. It takes up about half the roadway.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Holy smokes and that thing appeared overnight?

Man there's some massive earth changes afoot.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That looks a wee bit bigger than a football field.

Anyhow, does anyone know what they do to repair the damage of a sinkhole? Especially one of this size?

I'd fill it with world peace.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Those people are standing right on the side knowing it's a sinkhole. One of the men is stepping on a crack in the road, what makes them think it won't cave in right under them?

I wonder what they will blame this on, there are plenty of natural possibilities and artificial ones as well. I can't remember who but someone in the other thread mentioned there is a lot of fracking in the area.

It's definitely weird as heck though and I am going to be keeping an eye one for any developments.
edit on 11/29/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
its prolly just natural, but since we build everywhere its happening where we notice it more often

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Seems this one was caused by man.

www.wtov9.com...

But the situation could have been much worse. The nearby sand- and gravel-dredging operation caused the so-called rapid drawdown, leaving a huge mess and an exposed gas line.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
That looks a wee bit bigger than a football field.

Anyhow, does anyone know what they do to repair the damage of a sinkhole? Especially one of this size?

I'd fill it with world peace.

Haha implying there's enough world peace to fill a football, let alone a football field

It's no wonder the earth is caving in under us. It wasn't really designed to withstand artificial structures on it, let alone support the entire human civilisation building things non stop on top of it.

Still, impressive - wish we had one here. I'd have something to do apart from contemplating the concept of world peace fitting the insides of a football.

edit on 29-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It would be a little intimidating for me to be that close. News reporters are crazy like that though I guess.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that one yet.

I like how the guys were able to hop off of their machinery and stop traffic in time before a major accident.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Yes great thinking on the workers part. Could only imagine being one of them seeing it unfold.
I still find it a little strange it wasn't linked to this from the start though.
I was actually thinking it was going to be caused from mining but that might not have been done so much around there as it was in the next county over I'm originally from in Ohio.

Here in Florida where I'm at now is littered with small sink holes from the Tropical storm over the summer that stalled out over us and caused major flooding.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
When you remove pressurized gas from pockets or large amounts of earth from the ground, something has to take its place. Sometimes its water, sometimes its the ground beneath your feet.
edit on 29-11-2012 by StrangeOldBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
If you take the expanding earth theory in consideration, this would explain sinkhole to some degree.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

MacAdam explained that the collapse occurred when Newton Asphalt Paving Inc. employees, who were dredging sand and gravel from the company’s pond near Bair Road, got too close to the edge of the pond.

Because the dredging was too close to the edge, the toe of the slope started collapsing into the water, and it continued collapsing around to the Route 516 side. In a few minutes, the collapse extended more than 100 feet, MacAdam said.

A little update about the reason this happened. I am glad to see that they are able to admit this is a mistake that man made.

I do feel sorry for the people who have to be rerouted around this though.

And Swihart, a grain farmer, intends to begin hauling corn to Agland in New Philadelphia on a daily basis in January. With Route 516 closed, and the fact he hauls with tractor-trailer rigs, Swihart said his trucks will be forced to detour onto other state routes — as required by ODOT for heavy truck traffic. That means he will have to route his trucks through Dundee and Sugarcreek, and back to New Philadelphia on state Route 39 — adding a distance of up to 20 miles each way.

www.timesreporter.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I am not trying to fear monger or be an alarmist, but drawing a line from Dover, Oh to Bayou Corne, La makes for an interesting map. The line passes through the New Madrid fault zone. Then you may want to check the future maps of the U.S. Navy and Edgar Cayce. A little stronger than my usual cup of tea in the morning...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm starting to notice a pattern to this but it is too early to tell what is going on. Maybe it is also related to the lowering of the water levels of the great lakes. The weight of that water is a factor in things, if it dissapears it could cause problems. Especially Lake superior, if that weight is lessened it could destabilize the region. By itself these weights aren't critical but when you add everything up including the fracking, it could pose a problem along that fault line. Mankind always goes overboard on things and finds out after he has messed up royally what they have done. I think the whole picture should be evaluated, we need to look at things better as a whole. And do something about it other than talk.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This is caused by the New Madrid pulling apart. I highly encourage all who live close to the New Madrid fault to move away as soon as possible.

The number one cause of sinkhole formation is underground karsts where limestone is worn away by groundwater.

Number two cause of sinkholes and less known is rift faults - due to the earth pulling away in two opposite directions - think rift valley in Africa or formation of the Red Sea.

Facts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join