It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting picture taken by Mars Rover

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Seen something similar here on ATS and actually got it. I know there was other threads but I'm just posting this one I found already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11/29/2012 by Connman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
As others have mentioned, it is the a "hood" over the rear part of the "twin rovers" Spirit and Opportunity (NOT the new rover Curiosity).

This can be seen on ALL of the "Rear Hazard Camera" pictures from Spirit and Opportunity (thousands of pictures look like this).

Here's an animated GIF I made for a thread last year where this same thing was discussed. I made this from 15 different images from Spirit's rear hazard camera (the "rear hazcam") that were taken over the course of about 150 days. The hood over the camera is visible in all of these, and you can see the ground reflecting off of this "hood".

Like I said, That object is just part of the rover, and can be seen in every one of the thousands of images taken by the rear hazcam of both Opportunity and Spirit. This is not a new phenomenon, and has been talked about many time here on ATS over the years.

You can view all of the Rear Hazcam images here by following these two links (and all other raw images from Spirit and Opportunity):

Spirit Raw Images
Opportunity Raw Images

edit on 11/29/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by loOranks
Hi all,
I've done a search on the NASA url of this picture, and the search came up with nothing so here I come with a thread of my own...

I've come across this picture from the Mars Rover site and was wondering what the collective wisdom of ATS would make of it...

Cheers!

Looks like a hotel on the mountain

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Source of the image: marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
It's from one of the Spirit rover's rear hazard cameras. The camera is located underneath the upper surface of the rover. marsrover.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

How in the world is the hood not obvious to everyone viewing the photo?

It's not even illusory or obfuscated in any way. Plus, the hood/dust shroud is in every single photo from that camera.

Did the squashed Lamborghini, sailboat, and sandcrawler follow the frame everywhere? FFS, WTF?

Are we all playing with a full deck peeps?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980
Did the squashed Lamborghini, sailboat, and sandcrawler follow the frame everywhere? FFS, WTF?

Me thinks you missed the intended tongue squarely placed into the cheeks of those facetious remarks. Lighten up a bit and realize that some read that others already posted what it was and decided that a little levity would make the next poster smirk.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's not even illusory or obfuscated in any way. Plus, the hood/dust shroud is in every single photo from that camera.

First of all, some people don't go back to the source and look at the other images (i.e., some people don't investigate). They just say "wow, you're right -- it could be a building!".

That's why I made that GIF. I figured if some people won't look at multiple images themselves, then I will show them the multiple images in one place. I originally made the GIF last year for a thread where the OP was convinced this was a huge base on Mars.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Soylent's work makes it easy to see, and credit to him. The 'hood' is the belly of the craft.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
That's why I made that GIF. I figured if some people won't look at multiple images themselves, then I will show them the multiple images in one place. I originally made the GIF last year for a thread where the OP was convinced this was a huge base on Mars.

Hang on to that GIF, you may get more mileage out of it yet. Just wait 2 months and look for a thread titled "Luxury cars and apartments on Mars".

Anyhow, thanks for mopping up.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think what people aren't understanding is that the hood reflects the ground. That is not actually physical ground between the rover and the objects at the edge of the hood.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I, possibly am not, speaking strictly for myself. Some people may have trouble orientating themselves through the camera image because they may not be used to viewing these... But I think the majority seem to know what they are looking at, or at the very least, are aware of a shroud. Myself? Not so much.

ETA: Yes, Soylents GIF does make the image more understandable.
edit on 11/29/2012 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/29/2012 by hhcore because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loOranks

Its a Jawa Sandcrawler!

starwars.wikia.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

because some folks are obsessed with NASA always lying and gives them a pre-disposed necessity to see "lies" where there aren't any.

I sometimes wonder , given the extreme reaction to the bleedin obvious (many threads many subjects), whether ATS should make a deal with a drug company and offer medication to fund the site.......

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon
reply to post by loOranks

Its a Jawa Sandcrawler!

starwars.wikia.com...

Thats what I thought at first too

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
good explanation

it wasn't clearly obvious at first, at least to me but i got it. it's like an optical illusion where you have to switch your view and then it all comes clear.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join