It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The folly of atheism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Wonders

Originally posted by Angle
How an atheist behaves..

Foolish the one who denies God in his heart.

How does an atheist behave?

As an individual.

Life has meant so much more to me since I accepted I am atheist.

Its all on ME. There are no excuses.

I'm not sure I understand how a person who believes in God is liable to make excuses for themselves according to this verse:

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin.

Soo....yeah, I was wondering how you, as an individual, could have read this verse and came to insinuate that believers are to make excuses for themselves, especially since we are judged according to our deeds.

I'm not really interested in any verses.

Actions speak louder then words.

Why do you bother posting words in a forum then?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Originally posted by Wonders

Originally posted by Angle
How an atheist behaves..

Foolish the one who denies God in his heart.

How does an atheist behave?

As an individual.

Life has meant so much more to me since I accepted I am atheist.

Its all on ME. There are no excuses.

I'm not sure I understand how a person who believes in God is liable to make excuses for themselves according to this verse:

John 15:22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin.

Soo....yeah, I was wondering how you, as an individual, could have read this verse and came to insinuate that believers are to make excuses for themselves, especially since we are judged according to our deeds.

I'm not really interested in any verses.

Actions speak louder then words.

Why do you bother posting words in a forum then?

Her action of posting words in a forum speak louder than her words.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Ok, The ten commandments we made and delivered by god? Well now. Let's see proof of this. I would love to see it. I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to see proof. You said you've done your research. I hope this research is made from outside the religious context and objectively. Can't wait to see it. Again, I'm not being sarcastic.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I'm sorry for giving off the appearance of judgement,

It is not I who judges but my Father who does the judging,

If words which I have spoken have given you the feeling of judgement, it was not myself judging, it was the Holy Spirit giving a conviction,

I only speak the Words of the Holy One,

I love you so much,

Amen

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by godlover25

I'm sorry for giving off the appearance of judgement,

It is not I who judges but my Father who does the judging,

If words which I have spoken have given you the feeling of judgement, it was not myself judging, it was the Holy Spirit giving a conviction,

I only speak the Words of the Holy One,

I love you so much,

I don't recall the "Thou shalt not judge" rule listing that exception. I'm more inclined to believe that you are simply too weak to refrain from casting judgment upon others, instead of accepting them for who they are.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

If you had searched for the Truth then you would have seen the Truth,

The Truth cannot be divided against the Truth, and the only words I have spoken were in perfect alignment with the Truth,

If the Truth has given negative feelings, it is only because the Light is shining on the Dark, and the human emotion we feel when such a thing happens is sometimes rebellion or fear,

Love and Peace and Grace

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

The Light shineth on the darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not,

The Light of all men came into the world, and He came to His own, but the world knew Him not,

but to every man who received Him, He gave us the right to be called Sons of the Most High God, the offspring of the Living God, and the recipients and messengers of Good News,

God bless you in the name of the Triune One,

AlleuYah and Amen

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

If the Truth has given negative feelings, it is only because the Light is shining on the Dark, and the human emotion we feel when such a thing happens is sometimes rebellion or fear,

I daresay light is shining on the dark in this world. Personally, I don't find truth to be negative. I find humanity's reaction to it to be negative. As in, ignoring it. That includes Christians.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Thank you for being understanding,

May God bless you and your entire family,

With Love

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

The Truth cannot stand divided against the Truth,

If True Words have given you a feeling such as judgement,

It did not come from my personal spirit, it came from the Spirit of the One who is inside of me, whom we have in common with all our brothers known as Adam,

Please don't condemn a brother without understanding the Message,

With Love, Grace and Truth,

a Brother

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by Wonders

Ok, The ten commandments we made and delivered by god? Well now. Let's see proof of this. I would love to see it. I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to see proof. You said you've done your research. I hope this research is made from outside the religious context and objectively. Can't wait to see it. Again, I'm not being sarcastic.

Has there been any objective research done on the tablets of the ten commandments that CAN be done outside of the religious context?
If yes, then how so?
Please keep these two definitions in mind whilst considering my questions:

re·lig·ious
1.relating to religion: relating to belief in religion, the teaching of religion, or the practice of a religion
2.believing in a higher being: believing in and showing devotion or reverence for a deity or deities
3.thorough: very thorough or conscientious

ob·jec·tive·ly
1.without bias: without being influenced by personal feelings
2.accurately: on the basis of fact, experience, or some measurable quality

Synonyms: impartially, dispassionately, neutrally, independently, disinterestedly, fairly

BING dictionary was used in obtaining definitions for clarity of thought.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Objectivity...the great bane of the human species. It requires us to set aside our own feelings, something we have a very hard time doing.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Of course it can be done out-side of a religious context. You only have to leave your religious preconceptions at the door once you start your research. Which in turn will help you greatly to base you findings on your unbiased research. It does take a bit of practice but it is most definitely possible to accomplish.

With out trying to sound rude or disrespectful, if you did find proof you would of shown it despite my definition of research etiquette. So let's try this again. Can you show me the proof?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

There are no atheists in foxholes,

Therefore, thus saith the I am that always has been and always will be, Your Maker, to you, o son of man, using the online handle of "yourmaker",

Remember these words,

Because I have called and you refused,
I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
Because you disdained all my counsel,
And would have none of my rebuke,
I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when your terror comes,
When your terror comes like a storm,
And your destruction comes like a whirlwind,
When distress and anguish come upon you.

“Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.
Because they hated knowledge
And did not choose the fear of the Lord,
They would have none of my counsel
And despised my every rebuke.
Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,
And be filled to the full with their own fancies.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by Wonders

Of course it can be done out-side of a religious context. You only have to leave your religious preconceptions at the door once you start your research. Which in turn will help you greatly to base you findings on your unbiased research. It does take a bit of practice but it is most definitely possible to accomplish.

With out trying to sound rude or disrespectful, if you did find proof you would of shown it despite my definition of research etiquette. So let's try this again. Can you show me the proof?

No. I can't convince you that one mans who helped set a lot of slaves free got the ten commandments tablets from a mountain because he was the only one there, the slaves concluded that he died all alone on the mountain.
IMO there are two different aspects to the question as there are differing definitions of the words.
It was:
Has there been any objective research done on the tablets of the ten commandments that CAN be done outside of the religious context?
You've answered that question, now here's what I meant to ask but the use of the word CAN skewed it:
Has there been any objective (and this term I'm using the second definition of objective, which is 'accurate'), research done on the tablets of the ten commandments that has been done outside of the religious (and this term would be the second definition of religious which would be 'believing in a higher being', be it self scientists whoever you get your version of the truth from) Do you see what I'm getting at here?

I don't believe that there has been any accurate research done on the tablets of the ten that are without a belief in a higher authority because, like you suposedly did by practically commissioniong me to go and try to prove a thing that quite honestly is not going to change people's biases. Everyone else makes someone else an authority on the matter, people will either choose to believe or disbelieve no matter how accurately possibly thought out.
Jesus healed others in front of the pharisees and they thought he was evil. He even went so far as to say that even if a person rises from the dead people won't be convinced of God's authority let alone his existence.

I don't know if you know this, but I drowned when I was a child. Just yesterday I spoke to the girl's dad, the girl who helped me out of the water, she told him about what happened, but she didn't know my name as she was from another village but knew hers from overhearing others calling her at camp. I was kind of nervous about mentioning her name to him because she had committed suicide years ago, I didn't want to trigger any negative emotions in him, but he didn't seem to mind my asking, and still, our conversation was somewhat strained, neither of us really knowing what to say, but I was over the moon because when I asked my dad if he rememberd me telling him about what happened to me, he didn't care too much it didn't happen to him and I was about nine when it happened so it's more convenient not to get emotional about it, especially since I have little to go on besides my word and the word of an ex-preacher.
SO people can pick one little thing out of all that I have said and try to use it to turn me on my head, but contexually speaking, I know my convictions, no amount of discouragement will change that I came back to life. Actions do indeed speak louder than words.
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: To add.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet

why do christians always quote from the bible to atheists? you're using your belief system as evidence for your belief.

en.wikipedia.org...

Don't bother, you'll just get hurled with quotations from the fairy tale erm the bible and they'll say its fact.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

atheists are not truly scientific... they never approach the question of who/what is God from a scientific standpoint (you standard fanfare atheist) they automatically disavow the existence... which is truly not a scientific or should I say professional starting point.

an atheist likes to claim knowledge of science, when it appears by their practice they know nothing of.

a real scientific minded person would never assume a position.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

Why do athiest deny God without a clue of an alternative answer to the big question ? How did life begin ? Scientist have backed away from a spontaneous occurence of life .The Big Bang does not explain life begining .DNA has complicated things now . Athiest are by nature opposed to the existance of God . They are offended by the existance of a God who will hold them accountable . If they were not still concerned they would not be on this site .

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

It seems, for all intensive observation, that this thread is asserting that the God of Bible is THE GOD. So if we reject the Old Testament version of God, then we are atheists, right?

Well then, I guess I'm an atheist, because I reject that Yahweh is THE GOD.

Now what?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Atheism is a very vague term.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join