It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The folly of atheism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wonders

“If a brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault just between the two of you. If he listens, you have won your brother back. But if he does not listen, take one or two others with you so that every word may be verified by two or three witnesses. If he ignores these witnesses, tell it to the church. If he also ignores the church, then treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” (Matt 18:15)

So you can see here that Jesus did not say that everyone deserved to be treated the same like you thought he did, so either you didn't read it or you couldn't comprehend, which is it?

you may have read the bible or been taught by your local preacher but i think it may be you that is having trouble comprehending.

i get it perfectly well. what im saying is you can treat people as tax collectors or pagans because they dont get your books accusations of sin (ie: dont want to live like you).so what does that entail? is it saying to have patience? is it only ostracizing them from your community? or is it worse? are you saying that jesus went so far as to say you should eliminate the enemy? to which the bible says that only god will have the power to judge.

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. ... " Romans 14:1-23

so, once again it seems your comprehension skill need some tweaking. ill repeat my previous reply, jesus is telling you to be strong in your convictions. you'll meet opposition as he supposedly did. he isnt saying not to rebuke people because you should be a hippy but to go ahead and rebuke all you want...but expect confrontation. he's also saying not to succumb to anger and violence. or, bring the horse to water but dont expect him to drink and then dont stab him because he wont.

www.loveyourenemies.org...

edit on 11/30/2012 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
It's no skin off my back what you believe but it has been my observation that people who decide not to believe often have a ulterior motive for not wanting to believe . Sometimes it's their life style that conflicts with the commandments of God , or the tything thing .

thats all speculation on your part. atheism isnt about trying really super hard not to believe. its not about saying that they want to live the so called wicked lifestyle and im going to do the opposite of what dad says because you know hes a jerk and doesnt want me to have fun. its all about the absence of belief. many religious think that the belief in god is the default position and anything otherwise is incorrect.

your problem with science is your own problem. do some scientists have the absence of belief of god/gods? of course and some of them are more than happy to tell you but thats their personal issue. it has nothing to do with the observation and testing of the mechanics of the world we live in.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by godlover25

You can't convince atheists with quotes from the bible.

Romans 10:17-18 (KJV)
17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

How many christians does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, cos their all to busy boring people to death with their sanctimonius arsewaffle.

edit on 30-11-2012 by Elvis Hendrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix

None, because we are the light of the world.

Matthew 5:14-16 (KJV)
14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

I rest my case.
Sanctimonous Arsewaffle........................................................

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

you said "We all die and pass through that door we call death . Whats on the other side for you ? Doctors have already put forth that the Soul does not die with the Brain . This was as a result of their research of clinically dead patients who were revived . For a doctor to post such a paper could be professional suicide . They must really believe it ."

True enough but doesn't automatically mean God is the answer. What if you go to Zeus? or Apollo? Or Nirvana?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

you kinda just proved his point. the circular argument again.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I rest my case.

How many Atheists does it take to change a light bulb?

None, because there is no light among them.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I rest my case.

derp. wouldnt they need a light bulb then? thats probably why scientists invented it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
You were an atheist when you were born, untill you decided to put your faith into a book which is wrong on astronomy, science, facts, proof, reason, logic etcetera
it's ironic how you said ''the folly of atheism, while the definition of folly is ''Lack of good sense''
see the irony
nuff said.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet

you kinda just proved his point. the circular argument again.

Not for those Atheists still capable of faith.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet

I rest my case.

derp. wouldnt they need a light bulb then? thats probably why scientists invented it.

I speak of Spiritual things which your "scientists" cannot understand.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNutjob

Were they witnesses? Were they persecuted?

If you're a Christian, you must know that the four gospels were never signed. We don't know for a fact who wrote them. Tradition, as far back as we can go says it was the names the church has placed on them. But there is no conclusive evidence the gospels we have aren't just anonymous fiction writers who wouldn't even take credit for their work.

There is also some debate among biblical scholars as to whether the gospel writers could have even met Jesus, providing Jesus was a real person. Most scholars believe he was obviously, or they probably wouldn't be biblical scholars.

So we really need reliable witnesses before we can come to the conclusion you say I have discounted.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Not only Mason symbolism. There's the nights Templar, The Vatican, The Illuminati and a couples of other subtle
things in there too. I tell people be as spiritual as you want to be but leave religion out of it. Why, because it only creates division. religious people always pass judgement. Instead of using common sense, which religion destroys as well, they turn to the "good book" which was written by man not god. Instead of taking the bible at it's word, get an education and research where, when it was written and how many times the bible was re-written. You will then understand that you, as your bible states, are worshiping a false idol.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Again, words of the bible = worthless to me. To me the bible makes as much sense as Willie Coyote buying all those gadgets to catch the road runner. It makes no sense what so ever but they both sure are entertaining.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Again, words of the bible = worthless to me. To me the bible makes as much sense as Willie Coyote buying all those gadgets to catch the road runner. It makes no sense what so ever but they both sure are entertaining.

Then you would be one not capable of faith.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Your post tries to belittle atheists, so I defend their viewpoint with the above quote. I am not atheist, but I do agree with some of their thoughts. I do not, however, agree with your "God" worship and sycophantic groveling. The above quote lists my reasons for disagreeing with your premise and defending what you have clearly outlined to be the opposing perspective.

With that said, I'll be watching to see how this goes - not that I really expect progress. Both parties think far too much of their far too little expanse of worldly knowledge amassed in far too short a time in far too subtle a world

There you go again.....

Atheists by definition are defined by lack of faith in god/s, this is the one and only 'thought' that can be attributed to them by default.

You do not believe in god/s

You are an atheist.......stop attempting to act as-though you're better than either side when the truth is you lack the integrity and honesty of both parties.

Stick your neck out, have an opinion, or any points you attempt to make on these boards are going to seem flaky and unreliable...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Oh! No!
Then I will surely be going to hell.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Oh! No!
Then I will surely be going to hell.

It's your choice.