It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The folly of atheism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Atheism and the folly thereof is nothing new, King Solomon wrote about it in the Apocryphal Book of Wisdom almost 3,000 years ago.

1 For the ungodly said, reasoning with themselves, but not aright, Our life is short and tedious, and in the death of a man there is no remedy: neither was there any man known to have returned from the grave.

2 For we are born at all adventure: and we shall be hereafter as though we had never been: for the breath in our nostrils is as smoke, and a little spark in the moving of our heart:

3 Which being extinguished, our body shall be turned into ashes, and our spirit shall vanish as the soft air,

4 And our name shall be forgotten in time, and no man shall have our works in remembrance, and our life shall pass away as the trace of a cloud, and shall be dispersed as a mist, that is driven away with the beams of the sun, and overcome with the heat thereof.

5 For our time is a very shadow that passeth away; and after our end there is no returning: for it is fast sealed, so that no man cometh again.

6 Come on therefore, let us enjoy the good things that are present: and let us speedily use the creatures like as in youth.

7 Let us fill ourselves with costly wine and ointments: and let no flower of the spring pass by us:

8 Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds, before they be withered:

9 Let none of us go without his part of our voluptuousness: let us leave tokens of our joyfulness in every place: for this is our portion, and our lot is this.

10 Let us oppress the poor righteous man, let us not spare the widow, nor reverence the ancient gray hairs of the aged.

11 Let our strength be the law of justice: for that which is feeble is found to be nothing worth.

12 Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education.

13 He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.

14 He was made to reprove our thoughts.

15 He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.

16 We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.

17 Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.

18 For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.

19 Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.

20 Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.

21 Such things they did imagine, and were deceived: for their own wickedness hath blinded them.

22 As for the mysteries of God, they kn ew them not: neither hoped they for the wages of righteousness, nor discerned a reward for blameless souls.

23 For God created man to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity.

24 Nevertheless through envy of the devil came death into the world: and they that do hold of his side do find it.

God bless,

Long live the King of Kings, the King and Creator, the Master and Maker of the Universe, the world and all creatures in it, Yeshua the Messiah of the Most High God, Jesus the Christ of Nazareth , Son of David , Son of God,

Amen

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by godlover25

why do christians always quote from the bible to atheists? you're using your belief system as evidence for your belief.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Your post tries to belittle atheists, so I defend their viewpoint with the above quote. I am not atheist, but I do agree with some of their thoughts. I do not, however, agree with your "God" worship and sycophantic groveling. The above quote lists my reasons for disagreeing with your premise and defending what you have clearly outlined to be the opposing perspective.

With that said, I'll be watching to see how this goes - not that I really expect progress. Both parties think far too much of their far too little expanse of worldly knowledge amassed in far too short a time in far too subtle a world.

Edit: also, what Homeskillet said above. That is another reason for the above argument.
edit on 29-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

God is both willing and able to prevent evil,

He is just taking His time,

The harvest will come when the vine is ripe,

Then He will create anew and dwell with His People after he has erased all wickedness, even the memory of death and wickedness will be wiped away.

Patience, My Son

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
King Solomon was an evil man himself. When he took power, he killed all of his opponents ruthlessly and appointed his friends to key posts. This is why you will never convert or influence educated atheists.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet

why do christians always quote from the bible to atheists? you're using your belief system as evidence for your belief.

en.wikipedia.org...

Circular logic...
edit on 11/29/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

You can't convince atheists with quotes from the bible. C'mon a little common sense here. To convince an atheist that a woman gave birth to a child with super powers fathered by a ghost, you have to use something a little more concrete than a story book.
edit on 29-11-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by earthalien50

Like I've said before. Men started committing their worst atrocities when they invented a god to forgive them for those atrocities.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

God is both willing and able to prevent evil,

He is just taking His time,

He created the evil to begin with, and now he's just twiddling his thumbs while we suffer? I've heard of sadists with more compassion than that. And by all rights, if he is both able and willing, why does he even exist? Don't you have to be evil to create evil?

The harvest will come when the vine is ripe,

Then He will create anew and dwell with His People after he has erased all wickedness, even the memory of death and wickedness will be wiped away.

Patience, My Son

Don't call me "son".

Why would he create wickedness just to erase it after his people have suffered from it for thousands of years? And why would he erase the memory of it? Wouldn't that undo all the lessons? Or maybe it's because he doesn't want his children to remember the cruel and sadistic game he played with their souls...and meanwhile, he and "Satan" are high fiving it in the kitchen with a bottle of Jack Daniels and a couple cigars, congratulating each other on a good game and making plans for next weekend.

How does it feel, ATS? How does it feel to think that maybe you're all just chess pieces in a game between "God" and "Satan"? Kind of reminds me of a quote I'm particularly appreciative of:

“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” - Terry Pratchett

Oddly enough, that doesn't sound like the kind of game I'd volunteer for. So why am I stuck in it? Maybe I'll sit on the sidelines and laugh at all the poor idiots who lose their souls playing a game they could never win because they bet against the man who owns the table. Oh, but life is cruel.

I look forward to the day of judgment, because on that day, he will either judge himself or he will break his rules - in which case, I will appeal to his superiors and make a case stating that he never should have been a god in the first place, considering all of the horrific acts he's committed and the terrible lack of responsibility he's taken for his crimes and creations. It will be a glorious trial.

edit on 29-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

link   

So by that reasoning he will wipe himself out for all the wickedness he himself committed towards mankind. Your God is a cruel, vain and a jealous god.

link   

ppffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttt hahahahahahahaha good one

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

For those who will not read thoroughly the Book that they attack the Christian will try to help .But you can not help those who will not be helped . But in vain I will quote from the Bible . In Isaiah 45 verse 7
" I form the light, and create darkness :I make peace, and create evil:I the lord do all these things "
The Lord God set everything in this world into play . God is not here to make life pleasant for everybody . Your narrow concept of God reflects your narrow minded thinking as man . The wisdom of God must embrace every facet of the world from beginning until the appointed end .
God who knows the other side of life which we fear would see the end of life as the end of trials and tribulations and the translation to greater things . We all die and pass through that door we call death . Whats on the other side for you ? Doctors have already put forth that the Soul does not die with the Brain . This was as a result of their research of clinically dead patients who were revived . For a doctor to post such a paper could be professional suicide . They must really believe it .

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
God sucks.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

see, we can play too.

do you think you are the one going to convert people?

Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
(Proverbs 26:12)

showing pride in your ability to quote scripture and condemn?

A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.
(Proverbs 29:23)

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
(Matthew 23:12)

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.
( 2 Corinthians 11:30)

maybe you should practice more humility and prove your love of god through good works instead of harassing people with bible quotes.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Matthew 23:12

Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven(Luke 6:37)

There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor? (James 4:12)

need i go on?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I believe in an universal "GOD" consciousness. But I can't believe that a deity who comes down and demands to be worshiped, lets 1/3 of his heavenly population rebel and then wreak havoc on "his" creation, and condemns people to hell is GOD.

Nope, I don't believe that guy who sat down in Abraham's tent and ate Sarah's cakes and Abraham's BBQ, was GOD. I don't believe in a god guy that holds a party in heaven, inviting Satan and then plays games with human life.

I don't believe a guy that has to bluster and brag about being god is GOD.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I am impressed !Athiest are willing to dismiss the Bible but accept as fact the flimsy explanations of how it is that life began on earth . Even the Scientist have backed away from spontaneous life on earth with the discovery of DNA .But these people are not seeking answers to the one question that could support God or not . Frankly they are offended by facing a God for the way that they conduct their life. That makes you wonder .

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

Have you actually thought about what you quoted ? Have you not pondered the meanings of those Proverbs ? They are written about the non believer who is full of himself . Read them carefully .

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
reply to post by homeskillet

Have you actually thought about what you quoted ? Have you not pondered the meanings of those Proverbs ? They are written about the non believer who is full of himself . Read them carefully .

Are you sure about that? 1Peter 4:17

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

If the shoe fits, they are written for all, not just unbelievers.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I am impressed !Athiest are willing to dismiss the Bible but accept as fact the flimsy explanations of how it is that life began on earth . Even the Scientist have backed away from spontaneous life on earth with the discovery of DNA .But these people are not seeking answers to the one question that could support God or not . Frankly they are offended by facing a God for the way that they conduct their life. That makes you wonder .

Not this Christian turned atheist. I don't make science into a religion either. I spent decades in one cult, called Christianity. I won't belong to another.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I am impressed !Athiest are willing to dismiss the Bible but accept as fact the flimsy explanations of how it is that life began on earth .

The creation story is Genesis is about the flimsiest theory for creation out there. Atheists just don't assign a "god" default to everything they don't understand. They are quick to admit mystery.

Even the Scientist have backed away from spontaneous life on earth with the discovery of DNA.

Isn't that what Genesis teaches, spontaneous life?

But these people are not seeking answers to the one question that could support God or not.

What question is that, did god do it? Science would be first to admit that, if there was one shred of evidence. But a musty old book that says that god did it isn't good enough for science, nor should it be.

[quote Frankly they are offended by facing a God for the way that they conduct their life. That makes you wonder .

How can you make such a sweeping judgement against all atheist's and scientist's life styles? How can you be so sure of that judgement as truth enough to "make you wonder?

I suppose that many people needed to reminded and consoled about how stupid atheists were back in biblical days, where not believing in the state supported god could get you killed.

I'm sure that no believers are ever so full of themselves that those scriptures would apply to them!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join