It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Mercury Announcement Imminent!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

NASA's budget is extremely scant: 1/2 of a cent of every dollar. Besides, very little of the other 99.5% is being spent on people down on the ground anyway. I doubt that this little extra amount would be the exception.
edit on 30-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
BFD
If mercury had an atmosphere, it would transfer the heat into the shaded ice, but it has verry little in the atmosphere department.

NASA needs to work on earth and stop wasting money we dont have on these cosmic field trips.
Wonder if the scientests even care about our debt or the cliff.

I wonder how many Sandy homes could have been rebuilt if the Murcury trip money was spent on something we need here on earth.

I think it is obvious, that those calling the shots have no problem wasting billions to find out there is ice in a shaded hole. Good job, now exuse me while I go urinate into the wind.

SLaPPiE

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by assspeaker

As I said above you, NASA's tiny grant wouldn't be the exception for giving aid. You might have allocated it towards Sandy victims, the TPTB don't think like you and never will.
It's a sweet daydream, nothing more.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Really,
How much you think that Mercury project cost? $2.99?
I think the money could be put to much better use.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Of course you do. But it wouldn't be.
It's a daydream to expect otherwise.
Do you think the government actually cares about people? A half cent of every dollar is nothing compared to the other things everyone's taxes are used for. Like, say, the military. That's a huge one.
edit on 30-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
what a gyp',
back in the day, these geezers could barely shoot a monkey in a coke can out of the atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth
I hope for something interesting and exciting but it's Mercury so...

How funny would it be if they found life on the hottest planet in our solar system before finding it anywhere else. Maybe it's home to lava people or something?

odo from deep spacenine

well water in the form of ice nearest to the sun WOW
GOBSMACKED

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Really, if you talk about wasted money that could be put to a better use, think of all the wars in the Middle East, all the money going into maintaining strong military presence in the East, all the money and weapons going to those the USA considers its strategic allies. NASA's budget is a fraction compared to that. Besides, scientific and engineering advances in space have benefited common people on earth. For example, image-processing techniques designed for the Hubble Telescope are now used to help with early detection of breast cancer.
ipp.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I propose a manned mission with a payload of 200 metric tonnes of scotch!

Here's to you, Mercury!

Cheers!

Beezzer! Ice in your scotch? I know there may be ice and water on Mercury, but please, no ice in the scotch. It's kinda like no sex in the champagne room!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

yeah I know that. I know that it is very expensive to get a single pound of anything up there. That said, they need to operate differently. Their relationship with the military is just too close for comfort.

All I am saying it that there should not even be more than a day in delay from discovery to announcement.

They need to show the public that our money is being spent for our betterment and not so they can publish in well respected journals so as to advance their careers when they are given the green light to release the info they discover.

We shouldn't have to wait for discoveries that will "change the history books" just to have them downplayed in the interim of the release. We are paying for the party, aren't we. If it was private funding then I would understand.

Even 1/2 of a penny from every tax dollar is still allot of money. What I want to see is what they see as they see it. Why the delay? Why not have a live feed from the rover on mars up on the internet showing us what they see as they see it? Why not have live feeds from our satellites and our exploration probes up as well? What is the military nature of the secrecy? Why is it needed?

I don't want a picture even a day old. I want to see what they see as they see it. I want the data being sent to them as they receive it. Why not? Are we at war with mars? Why can't we have that information as it is sent? I am sure there are people that can interpret it just as well as they do. Let us in the members only club that supposedly acts for all of mankind, and not their own personal careers. OR, pay for it yourself.

That is why I am pissed. Because they decide what is noteworthy. They decide if something should be released. They choose the pictures and information we get. Why?

Is it not being done for humanity? Then share what you find with humanity without restrictions.

edit on 30-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Because they decide what is noteworthy. They decide if something should be released. They choose the pictures and information we get. Why?

...and they do it all with American tax dollars. Welcome to the American way, right?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
NASA is just trying to get back in the spot light because of all the BIGFOOT IS REAL AND HUMAN news. I mean really..whats gonna attract the publicks attention more. D'HUH !!

I know what I'm follow more.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

What I appreciate about the existence of NASA is the space exploration. I think if we waited until world peace was achieved before we did it, we might have been stuck inside our atmosphere for the next 100,000 years or longer.
I didn't know the program was connected to the military, though. That sounds disturbing. I won't regret everything that's been found and learned about in the field of astronomy, but I have to wonder what it is the military is getting out of it.
So yeah. I agree with you about how NASA should operate differently. Why the secrecy? They are waiting until next week to reveal the latest big discovery about Mars. This is less like National Geographic and more like what the government would do.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
well timed Ritual - again.

'mercury ' is " thoth " aka metatron aka Quatzlcoatl aka buddha

Two months ago, it was the marsrover hoax - ' mars ' is the sumerian Annunaki chief deity Nergal.

These Rituals are timed and planned in order for the masses to invoke.

sigh.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
They are claiming there is water ice on Mercury!

Stored in permanently shadowed craters!

Apparently around 1 trillion metric tons of ice!
edit on 29-11-2012 by scobro because: (no reason given)

Not only that they've found untold amounts of water ice, but they are also claiming to have discovered organic traces in the same locations.

Not that they're claiming life or remains of life, but reckon it's carbon brought in by comets and meteorites...but who knows? If it's cold enough at the poles and in shadowed craters, there must logically be a demarkation area between oven hot and freezer cold...perhaps life could take hold in such a 'goldilocks zone' on Mercury.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lone12
well timed Ritual - again.

'mercury ' is " thoth " aka metatron aka Quatzlcoatl aka buddha

Two months ago, it was the marsrover hoax - ' mars ' is the sumerian Annunaki chief deity Nergal.

These Rituals are timed and planned in order for the masses to invoke.

sigh.

go on...give us more information on it. I would be intrested to know more on this.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by spiderbadarse
WATER!?!?! Who would think there would be more water out there. Not tryign to be rude, but considering how much water we have on earth, I don't see it as shocking.

The story here isn't that they found water elsewhere. Science already knows there is a lot of water elsewhere in the solar system -- the ice caps/clouds/sub-surface of Mars, the clouds of Venus, Europa, Callisto, Ganymede, Enceladus, Titan [probably], Jupiter's atmosphere, Saturn's atmosphere, Uranus's atmosphere, Neptune, comets, dwarf planets, asteroids, etc.

The solar system has LOTS of water.

The surprise here is that water ice exists on Mercury, considering how close it is to the sun, and how hot it can get. This water only exists because it is in areas of the planet that are in permanent shadows (thus stay cold). If it wasn't for these permanently shadowed areas, there would probably be no water on the surface of Mercury.

edit on 11/29/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

It makes you think, what if some planets that have a side fully in shadow sustain life whilst the other half is totally inhabitable. Even more thought provoking is the idea on an incredibly slow orbit, slow enough for life to be created though constantly having rotate around the planet in the shadows.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
More from NASA on this here:

MESSENGER Finds New Evidence for Water Ice at Mercury's Poles

Including the same speculation that some had here... Could there be anywhere where there is liquid water mixed with the organic compounds?

According to Paige, the dark material is likely a mix of complex organic compounds delivered to Mercury by the impacts of comets and volatile-rich asteroids...

...This dark insulating material is a new wrinkle to the story, says Sean Solomon of the Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, principal investigator of the MESSENGER mission...

..."But the new observations have also raised new questions," adds Solomon. "Do the dark materials in the polar deposits consist mostly of organic compounds? What kind of chemical reactions has that material experienced? Are there any regions on or within Mercury that might have both liquid water and organic compounds? ..."

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Its frozen water at the poles. Thats pretty big. Could have life !

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spiderbadarse

The implications are that life exists where there is water. We are not talking sentient beings but perhaps micro organisms which would then speak for life existing throughout the Universe and not just on our little planet.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join