It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Mercury Announcement Imminent!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiderbadarse
WATER!?!?! Who would think there would be more water out there. Not tryign to be rude, but considering how much water we have on earth, I don't see it as shocking.

The story here isn't that they found water elsewhere. Science already knows there is a lot of water elsewhere in the solar system -- the ice caps/clouds/sub-surface of Mars, the clouds of Venus, Europa, Callisto, Ganymede, Enceladus, Titan [probably], Jupiter's atmosphere, Saturn's atmosphere, Uranus's atmosphere, Neptune, comets, dwarf planets, asteroids, etc.

The solar system has LOTS of water.

The surprise here is that water ice exists on Mercury, considering how close it is to the sun, and how hot it can get. This water only exists because it is in areas of the planet that are in permanent shadows (thus stay cold). If it wasn't for these permanently shadowed areas, there would probably be no water on the surface of Mercury.

edit on 11/29/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I don't get it..... It is very exciting news, but still some posters post crap that NASA is hiding things, or are so disappointed. Heck, for a planetary scientist this is huge..... What do people expect are on Mercury? Elephants, Dinosaurs, Alien bases? Heck people, when I first started studying astronomy, most astronomers scoffed at Fred Hoyle with his hypothesis that life on earth might have been seeded by comets, now it is starting to become a more and more viable hypothesis.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't get it.

Is it the dark organic material that is the discovery?

They already knew about ice at the poles, in craters. Link

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

What is it with these attention seeking whores?
I mean, it seems like it is every week now with some "major announcement" which is just sure to rock the world of science.

Come on man!!

Enough with the damn announcements already.
We get it!
Something that is a major discovery to you is not worth the time it takes for me to read it.
Until you are going to announce "THE BIG ONE" then SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!
And I'm not talking about microbial life either damn it!!!
Save it.
If that's going to be your next "big announcement" then don't bother.

I feel like humanity has a carrot dangling by a string right in front of our noses and try as we might, we never can seem to quite get it.

F off NASA!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

well apparently they are now saying unknown organic matter

ice and organic

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
then they say, wait, it's not that important.

They had their chance and resorted to the same BS secrecy they are known for. Now, I just don't care.

I will speak out about spending a freaking dime on NASA from now on. It is just a huge waste of money when we have more pressing issues on earth. They can pay for their own toys and play time. We need the money for real people and real problems, not nerds on power trips.

screw you NASA, you are lame.

edit on 29-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

Agree, and this is also proved by how they seem to have a few semi official "debunkers" doing full time damage control on half or more of everything they do release to the public, and when anomalous things are found, it is always some multi-million dollar camera glitch or other mundane factor..

Funny how my 600 dollar nikon camera NEVER has any of these problems..

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

funny that your 600US$ Nikon won't be able to take any pictures at -20 C, or at +100 C..... If you know electronics, you will know the price difference between commercial electronics that function between 0 C and 40 degrees C. From there it is like a 10x jump to industrial stuff that can function between -10C and +55 C, and like a jump of a couple of 1000x to stuff that can work from -55C to 100C, and then an even bigger jump to stuff that can withstand cosmic radiation.

edit on 29/11/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by alienreality

funny that your 600US$ Nikon won't be able to take any pictures at -20 C, or at +100 C..... If you know electronics, you will know the price difference between commercial electronics that function between 0 C and 40 degrees C. From there it is like a 10x jump to industrial stuff that can function between -10C and +55 C, and like a jump of a couple of 1000x to stuff that can work from -55C to 100C, and then an even bigger jump to stuff that can withstand cosmic radiation.

edit on 29/11/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

Funny how so far they have never claimed odd things pointed out in images were due to extreme temperatures affecting the camera...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
They are claiming there is water ice on Mercury!

Stored in permanently shadowed craters!

Apparently around 1 trillion metric tons of ice!
edit on 29-11-2012 by scobro because: (no reason given)

Source please???

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

That's fine. Just don't boil it in a pot on your stovetop!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Source please???

The source was the live press conference from NASA today. Here is the recording of the press conference on NASA's channel on YouTube:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

What is it with these attention seeking whores?
I mean, it seems like it is every week now with some "major announcement" which is just sure to rock the world of science.

Come on man!!

Enough with the damn announcements already.
We get it!
Something that is a major discovery to you is not worth the time it takes for me to read it.
Until you are going to announce "THE BIG ONE" then SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!
And I'm not talking about microbial life either damn it!!!
Save it.
If that's going to be your next "big announcement" then don't bother.

I feel like humanity has a carrot dangling by a string right in front of our noses and try as we might, we never can seem to quite get it.

F off NASA!!!

Water and organics? Just what would be worth the time it takes you to read it? Blimey!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Um, Shadowy hidden ice and extreme heat out in the open = a warm liquid, organic middle bit................think about it. Every puddle melts?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

anyone else feel like they are just building us up by saying oh lool life possible life on mercury , possible life on mars , possible life on the Ice moons of Jupiter or Saturn , then they roll out the discovery well we can confirm microbal life on these planets and moons !

Then everyone is like ahhhhh wow cool there is other life out in space we arent really alone , then they just come along with "BOOOM" intelligent life and no one is that bothered , its a drip feed for the big one !

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

Yep, 100% right.

I'm sure we are in for a shock! Personally I can't wait!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Ice on Mercury? WTF is this, The comedy channel?

Even if that ice is residing in shadows, it shouldn't be there... Shouldn't it?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

well if you look at the temperature on the moon when not in direct sunlight its below freezing on the surface , and in craters its far below that so it is entirely possible that mercury can harbour frozen ICE in deep craters brought by meteor impact. Mercury has a magnetosphere so it can in a sense protect itself from some of the suns CME !

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Cool find, could unlock a lot more secrets that we will never be told about.

I'm curious if Earth has any places (on land) that are permanently lost in shadow?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

there are numerous locations on earth that never see sunlight , that are similar in atmospheric content to mercury , underground caves with toxic gases that have microbal life !

Im sure that NASA are doing the damage control plan here , it cant be anything else

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by MmmPie

Im sure that NASA are doing the damage control plan here , it cant be anything else

What utter nonsense. Here's an idea of what else it could be. NASA could have sent a spacecraft to Mercury to investigate it. It investigated it, and they are now reporting the conclusions.

What a shock!

Seriously, stop posting such irrelevant arrogant rubbish and start looking at the wonders that really exist.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join