It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Face? Use This Stuff!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm putting this in the Jokes forum, because, well, "You must be joking!"

But this ad was no joke when it came out in the 1950's, they were dead serious!

This video is of an old commercial for Dorthy Gray Cold Cream. They have an independent laboratory make radioactive "dirt" and put it on this woman's face. Then they use a Geiger Counter before and after using the cold cream to cleanse her face and prove just how spectacularly their cold removes radioactive dirt!

We need to send boatloads of this stuff to Japan! Too bad Karen Silkwood didn't know about this stuff!

edit on 29-11-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Crazy, I wonder what the test subjects face looked like 30-50yrs later?
Maybe it was fine, maybe she died of cancer? Unknown.

For fun, check this out, the so called "Most Dangerous Toy Ever"....
1950s Atomic Energy Lab for Kids!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Hey, thanks for replying to my little thread! You made my day. That "Radioactive Science Lab" looks RAD! I can' believe that it actually included Uranium! SICK!

When I was a kid there was an Armory situated at the end of our block, and the National Guard would practive target shooting in the back where there were mountains of sand dunes. My sister and I used collect the spent bullets by the bucket full and take them home to play with. Wouldn't have been a problem except they were made of lead. I used to get these terrible headaches and sometimes I would pass out. It wasn't 'til later that my mom put 2 and 2 together and made us get rid of the spent lead bullets!

I wonder too, how many people got cancer from these kinds of things!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Oh wow.

So after being used maybe the bullets were emanating small amounts of dust particles or possibly a type of gas/aroma? Ill have to research into how that works.

I never realized how dangerous being a kid back then really was, and in a way, I envy some of it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Reminds me of Frank Zappa's childhood. He was always sick, and of course, wound up dying of cancer.

After a time in Florida in the 1940s, the family returned to Maryland, where Zappa's father worked at the Edgewood Arsenal chemical warfare facility of the Aberdeen Proving Ground. Due to their home's proximity to the arsenal, which stored mustard gas, gas masks were kept in the home.[5] This had a profound effect on Zappa, and references to germs, germ warfare and the defense industry occur throughout his work.[6]

Zappa was often sick as a child, suffering from asthma, earaches and sinus problems. A doctor treated his sinusitis by inserting a pellet of radium into each of Zappa's nostrils; little was known about the potential dangers of even small amounts of therapeutic radiation.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join