It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Oklahoma Police Officer Uses Taser on Handcuffed Woman

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

You're wrong. There is protocol in these situations.

The protocol is using the minimum amount of force necessary. This was clearly over the top. There was need to tase the woman. She was handcuffed. Spin her around, slap her in a cell and charge her with assault.

I sympathize with the cop, and know full well it isn't always easy or even possible to control yourself when you get pissed, but the law is the law, and the protocol was not followed. I don't know that departments policies, but I guarantee tasing someone who for all intents and purposes is under control is a no no.

This situation is actually one of the reasons I didn't become a cop. I really wanted to, but I worried I would lose my s on some dirtbag.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Evidently the tazer barbs are to be removed by an RN, but in this situation the police removed the barbs, and from what i hear this is very painful. Looks like your PERP might have a case.
I'm interested to see how this case pans out.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

This dude got life for spitting at an officer in the state of Oklahoma. Where this happened by the way.

But OK, it's all right.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 29-11-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Tazing somebody for spitting on you is the equivalent of hitting them with a baseball bat for pinching you.

The fact that it's the cop should make this worse rather than justifying it. A law enforcement professional needs to understand the concept of appropriate force, and this is a clear cut case of excessive force.

I do not care if it's a disgusting act, I do not care if it's a cop and you hold them on a pedestal. Excessive force is excessive force, and it is not justified in any situation. Period.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Actually, after viewing the video, I can't say that the cop used excessive force. Looks like he zapped her once and then got control of her again, and then threatened with more of the same if she spit again. She assaulted him by spitting on him, so it seems it was within his rights/purview to use the taser to subdue her. EXCEPT that tasers can kill, so to call them non-lethal force is BS. Of course it is better to use a taser than to fire a gun at a person. Would you have had the officer use physical force to subdue her further, when she might have reacted by spitting at him more or even possibly biting him? Maybe they should put spit hoods over disorderly drunks that are arrested.

The cop didn't gratuitously zap her multiple times, so I think he used force judiciously. And for the record, I am no apologist for the fuzz.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What is this all about? I mean, what is it REALLY all about?

What exactly is a taser for? To FORCE compliance, to meet insults with force, or for the officer to defend himself?
Because I thought we got them to protect officers. If that were the case, instead of grabbing that taser, he'd have grabbed a spit mask to put on that heiffer.

Let me assure you that little bitty nurses and nursing aids get spit on ALL the time in the course of their duties, and they don't go tasing grandma.

You're telling me a big armed cop with a gun can't handle what a 19 year old, 5 foot tall LADY handles in the course of her workweek?

Cowards.
edit on 29-11-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I believe the officer should have subdued her, she was handcuffed. It would not have been hard to grab her by the shoulders and simply spin her around. There were several of them so they could have easily subdued her. They are police and should be well trained in these routine situations. There was no excuse whatsoever for the use of a taser in this situation. Tasers are not as safe as they let on to be, they even admit their potential for causing death openly now but justify it by saying "Hey, it's better than using a gun" when in fact a gun would not have been needed either so that argument has no substance.

Many of the options and examples you listed are valid in certain situations but this guy just lost his cool and he is no better than the drunk woman that spat on him, in fact he is much worse since he tased her.

He is the authority figure in this situation and should have acted like it in a proper manner.
edit on 11/29/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is why I show upmost respect to those in authority. Don't give them a reason to abuse their power. Also, to the lady in the video....don't make decisions that result in being handcuffed at a police station. At some point people have to take responsibility for what happens to them.
edit on 29-11-2012 by lambs to lions because: Sp

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

Wow, you really have a way with words, your mother must be proud. Does she normally let you stay up this late?

I'm not a police officer, just tired of mindless threads bashing police officers.

My avatar means nothing, its a bad macro shot of a federal 9mm HP, I would change it, if it mattered.

I don't have any children, but I believe if you "spare the rod, you will spoil the child"

Is this a new concept for you?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
How could anyone defend this kind of behavior? I've seen people on this forum look the other way to police brutality and even defend it sometimes. It's strange why people would want to defend police brutality. These people must be still living in a law enforcement fantasy.

This whole country runs on fear for fuel. This video shows it clearly.

Sheep's to the slaughter. And the people are ok with it.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
you can see she spits at him just before he taze's her.
he shouldn't have tazed her, but she shouldn't spit at people.
hope it taught her some manners.

How do you know she was not teaching the cop manners?
REMEMBER its not a cops job to penalize people for braking the law its the courts job.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Let me play a little thought game with you:

If she stole a soda from my store, and I shot her in the back and killed her, is that "accepting the consequences for her actions"?

If my niece plays too loud, and my sister beats her so hard that my niece winds up in the hospital with several broken bones, is that "accepting the consequences for her actions"?

Or in both those situations do you think that perhaps the reaction is overkill and that the punishment should fit the crime?

That is my entire point here. I have no problem with her being given consequences. My problem comes when the consequence grossly outweighs the crime.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I hate cops so much.

Please spare me the speech about how you know a good one.

edit on 29-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmikeS
reply to post by moonzoo7

I don't have any children

yeah you should probably keep it that way

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

Agreed, no babies for me, just ; me, my self and I + 5 cats & 2 dogs (The Inn is Full)

Marksmanship is a hobby, I picked up a box of HP's just for that purpose.

I would not kill an intruder, just warning shots, unless my life depended on it....

The officer in Oklahoma was ISSUED the Tazer as a non lethal alternative to his Glock, he didn't just wake up and decide to start tazing perps, he was trained to use it in these types of situations.
If you have issues with tazer-guns you should be looking further up the chain of command.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I could care less about either one of them, on one hand you have a drunk with attitude, and on the other a cop who likes his power a tad too much. i really don't like to bother my psyche with such riff raff.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I disagree with this post.

Let me ask you a question.. let's say this lady had HIV or AIDS and you, let's say, cut yourself shaving earlier that morning how would you feel about that then?

She is obviously expressing drunken courage, however, that does not giver her the right to infect others with her spit.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
Please spare me the speech about how you know a good one.

edit on 29-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

My father was an honest, hard working police officer.. if you got pulled over it was because you were speeding. If you got tazed or drawn on was because you threatened his safety.

Not every cop is corrupt.

I think what you mean is you hate authority. I think the best bet is to let an encounter run its course because, as I said before, not every cop is abusive.
edit on 29-11-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join