It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria shuts off internet access across the country

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
EXPECT

The internet's great, but I swear it will be our downfall. Too much reliance, too much centralized control, too hard to regulate.

We need a serious citizens protection force, with superior skills to government agencies, and fast.

Our downfall? No the internet is the great liberator. People the world over who didnt know what they were missing are finding out that there is a bigger world out there. Think Arab Spring ! Yes we need to make sure that this freedom is protected.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
Actually Anon contributed greatly to Egypt when a similar event happened.

Yes, and Egypt has turned out so well.
Its a work in progress. Too bad they elected Morisy and the brotherhood but they are afraid of too much change too soon. Its an old society and change comes slowly. The young people are bringing the modern world to Egypt but it will not change overnight.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
Id like to see what the "Anonymous internet hacking group" will do in retaliation.

They`ll hack the sheriffs computer in mayberry and post barney and andy`s credit info on the net, that will teach those syrian`s a lesson, am i right?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
re-posting from this thread:

Syria - Update and Information thread

Originally posted by curiouscanadian777
Update at Penny's blog:

BBC REPORTING: Damascus internet back
Internet services around Damascus have resumed after a two-day blackout.

CNN REPORTING: Internet and phone services restore for most of Syria

Internet and cell phone coverage were restored Saturday to most Syrian provinces.

pennyforyourthoughts2.blogspot.ca...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Once the internet access was restored the FSA started attacking with Car Bombs.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Abduct

Originally posted by new_here

Prediction: Anonymous ain't gonna like this. Just look at what they did to Israel's leaders communication/governmental networks.

And what exactly can they do to websites or the internet that simply aren't there?

Don't you people read the thread before you make ignorant comments? Deny your ignorance by informing yourself by reading the thread before you comment.

Someone has posted already with information stating that about 20% of Syria's internet is still active. Likely this 20% is for the most part the governmental networks.

-Alien

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to personally insult me by calling me ignorant and telling me to read the thread.

I have done, and can find no sign of 20% of the internet still being active.

I've found this reference to 20%

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

And it's wayyy easier to shut down activity in Syria than say the US. Only 20% of the pop has internet access: 4.5 million people....and only 420 hosts

But that's saying that 20% of the country has access, not 20% is left. I wonder if that's what you're meaning? If it is, then that's sort of ignorant of you, don't you think?

Please help me deny my ignorance by showing the 20% you're referring to. As I'd hate to think that you, after so nicely and helpfully telling me to read the thread, had failed to comprehend such an obvious distinction by failing to actually read the thread.
edit on 30-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

I didn't call anyone ignorant I said people are making ignorant comments. The word "ignorant" wasn't used in a derogatory sense.

Ignorant - 2. Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular:

Here is the information you requested....

77 networks experienced an outage in Syria starting at 10:26 UTC on November 29. This represents 92% of the routed networks in the country.

Renesys.com

Allow me to take this opportunity to correct myself here. About 10% of the internet in Syria is still operational not 20%.

This came from information within the link provided by Zerschmetterling.

Originally posted by Zerschmetterling
I just posted a few updates concerning the situation in Syria here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Alien

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
Actually Anon contributed greatly to Egypt when a similar event happened.

Yes, and Egypt has turned out so well.
Its a work in progress. Too bad they elected Morisy and the brotherhood but they are afraid of too much change too soon. Its an old society and change comes slowly. The young people are bringing the modern world to Egypt but it will not change overnight.

Once a theology gets in power, going to take bloodshed to get them out. People of Egypt are finding out that "democracy" rarely happens anymore.

<< 4  5  6   >>

join