It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD officer giving winter boots to barefoot homeless man Read more:

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 8bitPaladin

When every experience you have with said "professional" is a negative one, then it adds up. I hold contempt for lawyers for the same reason. Also, cops are the only profession that can stick a gun in your face and get away with it free and clear. A bad experience with a cop is a whole lot different than a bad experience with a bad waiter.

The only "good" experiences I have had with cops, are when they only extorted me with tickets, and didn't stick a gun in my face, or cuff me, or push me around. Hardly a positive experience, just not as negative as it could have been.
edit on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:19:27 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't care if this was staged or not. I don't care the motive either.

Fact is either this man had conscience enough to want to help another human being and should be applauded while we feel encouraged there are still kind and gentle people growing into this hateful world.

Or, someone somewhere in a position of power understands that the general actions of Police at this time are not in keeping with what we have come to expect and so demanded an approach, or even just an act, that everyone could be proud of.

Either way, the reasoning behind either motive are with good intention and should be built on.

Those that come here to find conspiracy in everything are half the problem, What is the point in kind gesture's if even those claiming we NEED more of them for the sake of ourselves, ruin the few there are with derision and skepticism for skepticism sake.

Some people deserve what is happening currently. This policeman is NOT one of them. Those being critical of this....think about. Oh, and ask this "Lucky Day" homeless dude if he cares about the motive behind the action.
edit on 30-11-2012 by kaptabs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaptabs
I don't care if this was staged or not. I don't care the motive either.

Fact is either this man had conscience enough to want to help another human being and should be applauded while we feel encouraged there are still kind and gentle people growing into this hateful world.

Or, someone somewhere in a position of power understands that the general actions of Police at this time are not in keeping with what we have come to expect and so demanded an approach, or even just an act, that everyone could be proud of.

Either way, the reasoning behind either motive are with good intention and should be built on.

Those that come here to find conspiracy in everything are half the problem, What is the point in kind gesture's if even those claiming we NEED more of them for the sake of ourselves, ruin the few there are with derision and skepticism for skepticism sake.

Some people deserve what is happening currently. This policeman is NOT one of them. Those being critical of this....think about. Oh, and ask this "Lucky Day" homeless dude if he cares about the motive behind the action.

I almost hate to do this to you. You see here on the metadata where it says Photoshop?

fotoforensics.com...

And here: fotoforensics.com...

Where it shows the nice convenient shoe display in the scene was added?
And the cop?
The homeless guy is from who knows when or where.
Just that it probably wasn't done in NY in winter.

If somebody tries to tell you that something is being staged.
You should care.
The entire media is nothing but a sideshow and a psy-op day after day to sway the sheep from side to side.
To shape opinions and groupthink.

It has long since been about "informing" you.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter

I almost hate to do this to you. You see here on the metadata where it says Photoshop?

fotoforensics.com...

And here: fotoforensics.com...

Where it shows the nice convenient shoe display in the scene was added?
And the cop?
The homeless guy is from who knows when or where.
Just that it probably wasn't done in NY in winter.

If somebody tries to tell you that something is being staged.
You should care.
The entire media is nothing but a sideshow and a psy-op day after day to sway the sheep from side to side.
To shape opinions and groupthink.

It has long since been about "informing" you.

Sorry, you will have to explain further as I don't know enough about images or where you just linked me to understand?

The Photoshop details appears to indicate just sizing of the image?

The second link takes me to exactly the same page and clicking on all four radio options doesn't help me understand what i SHOULD be looking for.

If you can help that would be great.

(As a sidenote, if this is staged to the point of image manipulation then thats a different story. Manipulating a photo to create a good will story suggests clear understanding on the fakers part that the Police need be shed in good light following recent, and justified, criticism. If the best they can do despite said understanding is fake an image rather than actually try something new, something better, then I weep. The Reaction to comprehending justified negativity is to fake empathy rather than adopt new policy? Good Lord!)

Anyway, can you explain a little further? Thanks.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Finally! A reason to like a cop.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kaptabs

Sure. As far as I am concerned fotoforensics is one of the best websites on the net.
You can take any photo and submit it and get the image analyzed.

If you read the tutorial you find out what to look for.
An image should have basic pixel layout that stays the same whether the subject or foreground image.
When you see a white outline of the objects in the photo it shows you where the image was cut and pasted from a different source.

So you can see the outline around the shoe rack and around the cop and parts of the homeless guy.
The photo is a composite which is also indicated in the metadata.

It has opened my eyes to how much the media creates it's own images now versus hiring photojournalists.
They just scroll through file images and mix and match and create any spin on any subject they want.

Yes, it's a crying shame that the NYPD has to stoop so low.
I had a post on the prior page about the "alleged photographer" being interviewed on Hannity today.
It was a set up. And you're right, if a homeless guy had actually got a pair of boots out of the deal, that
would have been at least a plus.
But, it appears the boots either belonged to the old guy in the photo and the cop was pasted in looking on.

Learn to use the site, it will open your eyes about how much of our news is just flat out fake stories.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Having read aboout the error level it seems to have been saved as an image so many times that its hard to be willing to make a judgement beyond reasonable doubt due to how dark the ELA image is?

That said I do see where you would be hanging your hat but at the end of the tutorial on ELA I read this:

•With Photoshop, the simple act of saving the picture can auto-sharpen textures and edges, creating a higher error level potential. This artifact does not identify intentional modification; it identifies that an Adobe product was used. (Remember: if someone needs to download a picture from their camera or resize a picture for the web, they are just as likely to reach for Photoshop as they are to use any other tool.) Technically, ELA detects a modification because Adobe automatically performed a modification, but the modification was not necessarily intentional by the user

Originally I said that all I could make out was that it had been resized using photoshop. The point above suggests that just doing that is enough to highlight edges as having a different ELA which is what the image appears to show, the whiter edges? Plus, the resize would have been for the Web presumably as suggested above is often the case obviously.

It seems easily explained to me and so I am not sold thats for sure, however with that that said, having stared at the image for the past 30 minutes or so I have to say that there are a few oddities to consider.

There is no a chance the Policeman does NOT know his picture is being taken. Its too close and the set-up just feels almost angelic-like perhaps. It certainly doesn't quite sit right, it feels like the compassion being show is not conistent with the scenario, its over the top and feels exaggerated maybe. (Kind of looks like he is tending to an injured child, not a cold man with bare feet and no place to go.)

Also I nooticed the homeless guy is getting socks out of what I am assuming is his own bag? If so, that suggests that he always had socks but was not wearing them as he had no shoes? This in turn suggests that he would prefer to have cold blistered feet than getting a hole in the heel of his sock? Maybe they were Rodarte or Paul Smith's or something and too fine to be worn without shoes? Weird!!

Anyway, not sure about this fully. I didn't find anything conclusive although I suppose there is a little fuel for the fire. You did have me looking again though and there are oddities. I hope it is as is claimed because the implications of police feeling they need propeganda to improve their sinking image is horrifying. Not because their image is sinking so fast but because though aware, the best plan they can come up with would be propeganda than an internal review.

Right, thanks for the lesson either way, I will be avidly using that website myself now I would imagine.

edit on 30-11-2012 by kaptabs because: Format

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
ON really cold nights, city officers here "arrest" homeless people and let them out the next morning.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I was actually goong to say that above rather than the injured child analagy.

It almost looks like he is "Kindly" arresting him if that makes sense. Actually thats what I was looking for, its not compassion, its pity. This scene feels like the policeman is pitying the guy but remianing authoritarian as adults do with kids.

Thanks, you helped me realise what I had been trying to. I would guess you are right also, his shoes, his socks, "Pity Arrest". Still, even if it were, the heart is in the right place. Or, for the cynics it is another potential hazard off the streets I guess.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well it is nice to see a police officer do their job for once. Most of the time I only see them parked or see them refusing to help people because most everything is not their problem except to give someone a free one way ride to downtown lockup. Too bad the rest of the police around the country are too hard headed to learn what public service really means. Its a shame. Once in a while though there is a good one. Not very often but once in a while.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Brainwashed masses?
Brainwashed by what? The constant horrible acts committed by police in recent years? So your thoughts being influenced by reality is brainwashing to you?

Your comment makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Storm,

Thank you for the post, it is that we are counted as the person
we are, not a uniform we wear, or any other outward appearance.

Our own personal actions we take can make a difference in this world.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It does nothing to take away all the negative encounters I've had with the police. For example, why do I always have to get a ticket? Why can't they just give me a warning?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Isn't this what every cop is supposed to do?? Funny why are we patting one (out of 100000+) on the back for just doing his job? "To protect and serve" is the motto - so don't even try to argue he was going beyond. The cops who would of walked on by that guy without helping should of been fired.

Society is at an all time low I swear.....
edit on 1-12-2012 by furono because: added text

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kaptabs

I interpreted the 'resize' to be that the photo of the officer was taken in one setting and then made to 'fit' the picture. There is no shoebox or bag.
The shoe display looks 'out of place' like it too was taken from somewhere else and is not the same lighting level.

Taken by itself, it might not be enough, but in hearing this woman on the phone to Hannity was what first made
me highly suspicious.
That she saw the same homeless guy hours earlier. That she claims the officer talked to the man and got his shoe size then went right into the store where he was given a 25% off discount.
That the man did not have frostbite when the weather has been freezing most every night.
I could not imagine the "blisters" on his feet. Blisters would be from heat or friction.

Just everything the woman says sounded like a lie.
How did Hannity have her phone number?
Did she call him first to crow about her photo?
Why did she only take a photo of the cop there leaving boots?
Why wouldn't she have taken one with the guy wearing them after he put them on?
I mean I would if I was just capturing this vignette with my cop bf at my side and the police
officer just so totally unaware that someone is taking his pic.

For all I know, the way she kept saying the officers name, how did she know it??
She took a photo of her bf and he was the resize to fit a pic she had found earlier.

Sometimes these photos are not always the media behind them.
Almost every organization has a PR firm these days and they are the ones who come up
with this stuff.

Glad you found the fotoforensics helpful.
The more you use it the more you can get a feel for real vs "not exactly".

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

What an amazing story, finally some NICE news from the outer world...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Are people stupid?

Why is the fact he was outside a shoe store suspicious in any way? If I were homeless, and had no shoes in freezing weather, that's -exactly- where I would go, in the hope that someone buying a pair of shoes would give me their old pair once they do.

Why can't people just let a good deed be a good deed? And why do people harass the officer, who wasn't trying to get on facebook, wasn't trying to be an Internet sensation - he was just trying to do something decent.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Man. This guy deserves a medal. That is the kindest thing I've seen a police officer do. What a king. Seriously. Thank god there are people who can actually be so kind as to give others basic needs.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This story jut got better. The Homeless man's brothers recognized him in a newspaper story and are attempting to reach out to him. They were not aware that he was living on the streets. I heard it on Fox News this morning and am trying to find a related article about it.

There is a reason for everything and perhaps this homeless man will be able to celebrate the holidays with his family this year and hopefully get the help that he needs...

Remember the Ted Williams story? He is doing well right now after some bumpy moments..

Good things can happen...
edit on 2-12-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Random acts of kindness - the world could use many more.

These things do happen every day, by millions of people. It's not some kind of bizarre phenomena that needs to be captured on camera for there to be evidence of it.

The fact that this image has caused such intense debate and gone viral in the way it has is actually a good indication of how warped our perception of Humanity is. We seem to think this is strange or unusual, but it's not!

I also believe this is propaganda.

A fellow police officer is checking out the police in another city, and just happens to be in the right place at the right time with camera in hand, ready to snap a perfectly choreographed image of a NYPD officer crouched down like it's a freakin' pose for the cover of LIFE?!

Get a grip!

Does anyone actually know what the mathematical chances of this are? An incident that takes maybe five minutes out of a day in one of the most populous cities on Earth, and a fellow cop just "happened" to be there to catch it on film?

Give me a break.

The NYPD has been shown repeatedly to be abusive, violent, corrupt and almost out of control. They are now being seen as an enemy of the people, and they are using a tried and tested method of propaganda to change public perception of them. The idea that anyone here simply trusts that it's all real without question shows how deluded many members here are.

I expect there'll be another pic along any day now of Bloomer working in a soup kitchen, with a random photographer who just "happens" to be there to capture the moment and then just "miraculously" sends it viral. And you guys will probably swallow that BS too.

There are good cops out there, indeed. This guy might be a very nice person, and it's great that a homeless guy got a new pair of boots (if indeed he is homeless and not just another officer posing for the PR piece). But if you think that justifies the BS stunt you need your head testing.

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join