It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD officer giving winter boots to barefoot homeless man Read more:

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

You seem to want this to be a scam. This is a sorry state of our country! From reading the posts here, half are proud and happy about the police officer and his act of kindness. The other half are so jaded that they can not believe a act of kindness could happen, it can't be real. That half has given up. I never thought I would see America give up on her self!

I have helped homeless people and I probably was scammed some of the time, but I would rather that happen than be so jaded and uncaring and not help someone who needed it for real. And even if there is more to this story (which I see no evidence), I will still err on the side of helping someone.
edit on 30-11-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... 0...0.0...1ac.1.dWb6ByMeycc
Yin yang. Gives some take some.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You know guys it was a very generous of him, but I am tired of to watching it over and over in the news 15 times a days. Because , what I think is the right way to do for FOX news to show in the next news, "we learned that generous thought from this young policeman , and we decided to go and give hot food blanket , and boots to others who needed . "
That would make difference. Not just smiling in the worm studio , and keep saying how others so nice, and he is a hero. Stand up move your ass out and be a hero too, and show that in the news, so it will inspire more to do that!!
edit on 30-11-2012 by MagyarVagyok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the reason some cops do act like jerks is because a lot of people assume they are bad, no matter what they do?

People are brainwashed into thinking cops are their friends by the indoctrination system, I mean education system. Yet many people end up with a serious dislike of cops, even with all that early PR. Do you ever wonder how that can happen? Because the cops earn all that disdain and distrust through their own interactions with people. I believed in the whole cops are here to help BS until I was 19 myself.

I was driving down my unlit road one friday night, doing the speed limit of 45, my road was pretty twisty, it is not really safe to go faster, except on the one tiny 1/2 mile straight away the road has. Anyways, some prick came flying out of nowheres, and starts riding my ass with his brights on, blinding me. I flipped up the rear view, but it don't help much on twisty roads, as the brights are mostly bouncing off the side views anyway. On the one straight away I downshifted then punched it to try get some space between myself and the jerk, didn't help any, he stayed right on my ass anyways. It was about 6 minutes this douche rode my ass until he flipped on the lights and sirens. I pulled over at the first available safe spot, he stuck a gun in my face, cuffed me, then him and the backup he called searched my car for around 3 hours, stopping every few minutes to ask me what drugs I was on, where my drugs were hidden etc etc.

I was clean, I had no record, they found nothing. They "let me off easy" with 10 bogus tickets, the only one that was true was the speeding one from the straight away, which would have never happened had he not been driving like an aggressive asshole. Friday night, the guy could have been a drunk for all I know. There is no shoulder to pull off and let people go by, or to pull over safely, there is a whopping 4 inches between the white line and guard rails on that road. I ended up paying a lawyer 3 grand and still having to pay for the tickets. The cop also threatened me through my lawyer, the lawyer said the guy was a total nutcase. He disobeyed and order from a superior that told him not to show up for the court date, and then threatened me......

That was when I learned cops are not my friends. Almost every encounter I have ever had with police were negative, that one was the worst though.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

With all the other insanity going on, things like this should remind us all that there are still good people in the world. I take my hat off to you, sir. Imagine how wonderful life would be if everyone of us were so generous.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

A Cop once gave me a pair of handcuffs during Labor Day weekend...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Good for the young officer. The public response will probably have an effect on other cops. Maybe kindness and decency, the tool of many but forgotten by some, will start to become the tool of choice in more situations, particularly involving the metally ill or disoriented.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

My thoughts exactly, I have seen people in need and could have helped. I am ashamed of myself but I am also inspired that there is hope and people like me can change for the better. I desire to emulate this officers actions, like a drop in a pond the ripples begin, let them spread through out the world. peace and good will to men and women.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

That s a good reminder that we are all individuals.
In the small town where I live we have a handyman who shovels walkways and driveways for the elderly. He is very
low income and does this even when it is -30. I live in northern Canada.
Last year we noticed he was out in -20 with running shoes and light garden gloves. My neighbor and I went to the
local bargain store and got him a parka , thermal bootsan dgloves, and snow pants. Now he does our walkways
in the winter and we are much younger than he is an dmore than capable of doing it ourselves! H e usually beats us
to it
It really is better to give than receive. Something a lot of people forget this time of year. My neighbor and I
had the best time shopping for him
This year we are fundraising to buy a motorized scooter for ayoung Native
man who is going to school to become a mechanic. He has problems with his legs, but walks to school every day,
even tho he falls often.. Small towns really are great! We will probably havet he money by Xmas

running with the wolves

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Aaah that's a nice story and makes a nice change. Good work that officer.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wait a minute here. This is a cop after all. I bet he got footwear that was a size too small so the poor buggers feet hurt before long.
It's a sad day when some poopoo an act of kindness because of their unmovable opinion. I see most of these that have had a run in with the law. I'd wager most of these are righteous actions. Some are apt to be wrong. law of averages. 1 of 3 things. 1, most likely, you were in the wrong and got caught. 2- you got a cop on a bad day. 3- you got a cop that was a total asshat. Yes there are those too. But dumping on this man's charity is simply wrong.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by gladtobehere

PROPAGANDA in my opinion.

Its no secret that cops are fast becoming the most hated segment of our society.

And coincidentally someone recorded this "act of kindness" and now its "gone viral"...

Well at least he has shoes, unless you think he is a plant too?

The worst thing about some people on this forum is that they are so blinded by their conspiracies that they cannot actually accept when the police have gone above and beyond. Whenever I am walking around shopping or at work I always make an attempt to speak to the homeless people and offer advice and guidance on what they can do. I was homeless once and I know what it is like. I say to them that if I can pick myself up from where I was years ago they can do the same. I am working this Christmas so I will not get to see my family, instead I will be performing my duties. I always spare a thought for those who are homeless around this time of the year.
edit on 30-11-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'll tell ya what...I'm no Christian, or even religious - but I DO believe in a creator. (That's another conversation)

But, I believe THIS right here is the ONLY thing Jesus wanted his followers to do. Not worship him. Not build megachurches, or preach Christianity, and fight over doctrine.

THIS is the ONLY thing he ever wanted people to do. Live a life committed to helping the least among us - say nothing about it. Don't attribute it to any sort of religion. Just BE this kind of person.

Now, the cynic in me wants to believe this is nothing more than a PR opportunity for the NYPD. But, whatever- I'll take it at face value.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

All I can say is never judge a book by it's cover

Not all of any type of people or profession are the same and this is a good example, for instance not all bankers are greedy bar stewards hard to believe but true.
Same goes for everything especially police I have been on both ends of the stick in situations with the cops or pigs as they get called here, fact is they are not all bad some even uphold the ideals that a law enforcement officer should but there is a few too many bad apples.... especially younger officers maybe they feel they need to proove something or that they are above the law who knows.

A true fact is we rarely notice the good deeds, instead we notice the bad ones.
Well done op

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I don't see a cop.

I see a genuine, heartwarming act of rare kindness.

Something this world needs a lot more of, no badge or uniforms required.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPlow
I'll tell ya what...I'm no Christian, or even religious - but I DO believe in a creator. (That's another conversation)

But, I believe THIS right here is the ONLY thing Jesus wanted his followers to do. Not worship him. Not build megachurches, or preach Christianity, and fight over doctrine.

THIS is the ONLY thing he ever wanted people to do. Live a life committed to helping the least among us - say nothing about it. Don't attribute it to any sort of religion. Just BE this kind of person.

Now, the cynic in me wants to believe this is nothing more than a PR opportunity for the NYPD. But, whatever- I'll take it at face value.

I totally agree
For me Jesus was just a another great man pointing out the truth of those crazy books the religious zealots at the time followed (the same these days!) I believe it had nothing to do with greater gods, sacrifice or any other mad crap you could do to make yourself/religion look better it was as simple as love your neighbour and still could be.

"If a man asks you for your coat give him your cloak also" I always loved this saying, kindness pays for itself in happiness, I too think this reeks of PR but hey what can you do about it maybe it will subconsciously make people more charitable this winter

Jesus also made a great commandment Love one another as I have loved you, I always thought with these words he condensed the whole commandments into a simple rule. A commandment that cannot conflict with any other "true" commandment ever written

P.S. I believe in no god also but rather a creator or a bond that binds all. Man looking in the mirror is the closest we will ever get to a god

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't think this was propaganda at all.

Look, ATS; NYC is a gigantic city. One of the global capitals one can even say. So much goes on here on a daily basis. Here @ ATS we always read about awful NY is. Much of these things are very real. Any city can be filled with dregs of humanity, and most citys are indeed filled with bad eggs. The thing is, we almost never hear about the wonderful people and all the good that we have in the city. I realize that good news isn't the most entertaining or that bad news is better for business or for whatever reason the news always focuses on the bad.

This cop isn't a lone saint. There are lots of great people around. You just have to go look. The nicer things will not be shown to you.

Hats off to this guy. I always try to help the homeless w/ whatever I can too. Everyone should. You're not enabling homeless people (which is the consensus around here @ ATS). You're helping them. They don't enjoy their current place. Help em out everyone.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Having a bad experience with a few people of a certain profession can not possible be a good enough reason to dislike an entire group. I understand that cops sometimes do bad things, but I myself have encountered many good cops out there, does that mean I know think all cops are good? absolutely not. I have had bad experiences with waiters, bartenders, teachers, bakers, and doctors. Does that mean that there proffession generally produces bad people? again, absolutely not.
edit on 30-11-2012 by 8bitPaladin because: Grammar

edit on 30-11-2012 by 8bitPaladin because: same reason

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Great story, very inspiring.

I'm also surprised this got any news feed at all though. I'm sure it's because it is the Christmas season, but I am glad to see there are people out there willing to help the less fortunate.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

Originally posted by joyride0187
reply to post by CX

Touche...You got me on that one. I seemed to forget that this is a conspiracy message board. It is just amazes me that many people think this is automatically a PR incident to make the cops look good without posting any evidence. There used to be a time when stuff like this was not news. No where near enough people doing things like this. What a world we live in.
edit on 29-11-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

No evidence? The fact that the picture was taken by a fellow police officer is your evidence. How often do you see cops walking the streets with cameras?

What amazes me is how gullible some people can be. If all it takes to convince you is a simpke photograph, then it's no wonder why you don't understand how a differing point of view can be relevant, or even a better explanation.

Okay, a homeless man got a pair of shoes. That's nice, for sure. But if you truly can't see how this was most probably staged for a PR event, maybe you should take a step back and look at the bigger picture regarding NYPD, their public image (which is in tatters), and thus the motivation for this photograph. Giving the shoes is one thing - the photograph is a different aspect entirely.

Context is everything!
edit on 30-11-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

I totally agree. I got into my car after work and my station was still where I set it on my morning drive local station talk show. After that it turns into FOX express or whatever. Anyway I was about to change it, when Sean Hannity was interviewing the woman who claimed to have taken the photo.

Her story: She's walking around "the Island" with her bf. She's in town visiting from "Arizona".
They came across the guy earlier in the day and this was their "second encounter" with the guy and
were leaning down to give him money when the cop walked up with the boots and she took the photo.

She claimed he didn't "know they were there". Yet she just said they were standing there when the cop
walked up.

Then she starts referring to him as officer so and so. How did she know his name?
If it was candid like she says.
Then she lets the cat out of the bag as far as I'm concerned and said her bf worked on the "force".
I didn't hear if she meant NYPD, but I'm guessing that's the case.

And she was so radio voice ready because she is,,,drumroll...a communications officer with X PD in Arizona
wink, wink.

Lost all credibility as anything other than a staged photo op.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join