It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD officer giving winter boots to barefoot homeless man Read more:

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
reply to post by CX

Touche...You got me on that one. I seemed to forget that this is a conspiracy message board. It is just amazes me that many people think this is automatically a PR incident to make the cops look good without posting any evidence. There used to be a time when stuff like this was not news. No where near enough people doing things like this. What a world we live in.
edit on 29-11-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

No evidence? The fact that the picture was taken by a fellow police officer is your evidence. How often do you see cops walking the streets with cameras?

What amazes me is how gullible some people can be. If all it takes to convince you is a simpke photograph, then it's no wonder why you don't understand how a differing point of view can be relevant, or even a better explanation.

Okay, a homeless man got a pair of shoes. That's nice, for sure. But if you truly can't see how this was most probably staged for a PR event, maybe you should take a step back and look at the bigger picture regarding NYPD, their public image (which is in tatters), and thus the motivation for this photograph. Giving the shoes is one thing - the photograph is a different aspect entirely.

Context is everything!
edit on 30-11-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

This is classic love thy neighbor!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

S&F! What a sweet cop. Sure a lot of people didn't give this man a second look, or, if they did, it was a dirty look. He saw a person in need, and helped them. One of those many good cops, that some claim don't exist. I hope this will inspire people to do something similar. Help some one out in need. If you don't have homeless where you live, drop some groceries for a neighbor in need, donate to a local food pantry (they ALWAYS need donations), something. Then, offer a thanks to the cops, working hard on holidays to keep our cities safer. Most of them are regular people, trying to do a hard job with little to no appreciation.

Had to add something to this, after reading some of the posts. Seriously, people, you don't think a cop could be a nice guy, and just give someone in need a pair of boots? That sounds like the same sort of hatred that I have heard towards military people, calling them all programmed killers, or some such nonsense. How many of you claiming this is a setup have given anything to someone in need recently? Donated any of your time? As for the fellow being outside a shoe store, well, duh? He needed shoes. Maybe he hoped someone would see him there, and get him a pair. I personally SAW that happen once. Was in DFW area, on vacation with my dad. Homeless guy (really homeless - dirty clothing, tattered, gaunt, etc.) was outside a cheap shoe store, that sold $5 a pair shoes. He was barefoot, because someone had apparently stolen his, while he slept. My dad gave him $5, and he went right in for the shoes, too. Sometimes, something is exactly what it seems; a person in need being helped by a person that is able. Just because they care.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the reason some cops do act like jerks is because a lot of people assume they are bad, no matter what they do? If someone told you that you were horrible, day in and day out, how would you feel? Cops are people. Some good, some bad, just like any other group of people. If you want to condemn them all, then post your profession, and we can all look up stories of people in that field that did bad things, and claim they are all the same. Sound fair? Didn't think so. All cops aren't bad because some are. All teachers aren't bad because some molest students. All postal workers aren't bad because one shot up his workplace. All (insert race or group here) aren't bad because some do evil things. All students aren't psychos because some shoot up their schools. I could go on, but I would hope the point is made.
edit on 30-11-2012 by LadyGreenEyes because: additional comments

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
*snip*
Okay, a homeless man got a pair of shoes. That's nice, for sure. But if you truly can't see how this was most probably staged for a PR event, maybe you should take a step back and look at the bigger picture regarding NYPD, their public image (which is in tatters), and thus the motivation for this photograph. Giving the shoes is one thing - the photograph is a different aspect entirely.

Context is everything!
edit on 30-11-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

Someone working for law enforcement in another part of the country took a picture, while on vacation, and in NYC as a tourist. They snapped a picture. I probably would have, too, if I had the camera out and time. If I posted one, an a non-cop, would that make this better for you? Would you claim I was paid as a PR person or something? Could any good deed by any cop, at any time, ever be seen as just that? How can anyone assume they know the motivation of that man, that cop? How can anyone say he didn't feel for that man with no shoes, and do something to help, because he's a decent human being? Context? I see a man down on his knee, doing something to help out someone in real need. Humble, caring, kind. If he wasn't wearing the uniform, I am betting you would see the same thing.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

I really hope this cop is for real, and that this isn't just a photo op because all of the heat they have been getting lately for beating homeless people.
I hope this guy is genuine. It would be a step in the right direction for humanity

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by gladtobehere

I hate to by a cynic...but there is something inside me that wants to agree with you.

If I needed new shoes, sitting outside a shoestore would be the perfect place to score a donated pair...

I just thought I'd say that you don't need to be ignorant of your surroundings to survive, sure he may have known that he was sitting outside a shoestore, and sure that may have given a couple bystanders the idea that he may NEED some footwear, but he didn't go around asking hardened hearts to support him, people would likely be offended if he did.
SOMEONE saw a need and they filled it, and I'll bet he'll feel a bit better at having given something no matter how temporary it'll last because he'll remember that he made a significant difference in someone's life.
Shoes are a big difference compared to being barefoot while out on the streets, don't discount the butterfly effect.

I live in a world with people who do horrible things, I am not without my own shameful past, I may not feel great about the bad things I've done but I haven't given up hope on myself yet and I won't give up hope on others either because I do know that the best gift you can give someone is a stranger in need.

I don't need to toot my own horn, I know what a person looks like when they are given a good thing that they never expected with no strings attached and they don't need to know my name and I don't need to know theirs, but they do know that there is a free gift for them that they can choose to accept if they are smart enough to survive physically psychologically and emotionally.

I'll leave you with this thought: It's kind of nice to overhear someone talking about you, when they are telling about how you helped them in their time of need. I don't believe in giving money to churches, but using it to help people, and the thing that hurts anyone the most are words of discouragement, the likes of which I have not seen anywhere closer than ATS.
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: To add.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this, S& F. I was watching the news about this earlier this morning. I know there are cynics who have questioned as to whether or not this was staged. In my opinion, it was not. There are a lot of cops out there, good and some bad, just like in any other profession. I am personally aware of cops in other cities who have been involved in similiar random acts of kindness in the past. Those acts never made the news, and probably never will. And as far as the persons questioning why a tourist who happened to be an out of state officer just happened to have a camera with her, it was shot with a cell phone camera, no surprises there. Officers by the very nature of their profession are trained observers....And as someone already asked, how many people saw this homeless guy before the NYPD officer arrived on the scene, and just walked by him? Most tourists and non-tourist nowadays carry cell phones....Here's a short confirmation of how the photo was shot from another news article:

Had it not been for a tourist from Arizona who snapped the photo with her cell phone, Officer Lawrence DePrimo's act of kindness, giving boots to a homeless man, may have gone unnoticed. Tourist Jennifer Foster emailed the photo to the NYPD and they posted it to their Facebook page. Tens of thousands of comments followed.

Source: www.wwaytv3.com...

This story is a reminder for all that we could make this world a better place (and maybe counter some of that negative energy being generated from the 2012 doom and gloom) if every person who is a member of ATS or anyone for that matter, would perform a random act of kindness to whatever extent they could on a regular basis.

Not everyone can afford to go buy someone a pair of socks and shoes, but even simple things like putting a quarter in a parking meter for a stranger when it is close to expiring, helping someone in a checkout line who is a little short of the total needed, helping a senior or a disabled person cross a street in a busy city, donating unneeded clothes or furniture, and if you have time, perhaps due to unemployment, volunteering to be of assistance to any number of organizations who desperately need and greatly appreciate that help. Even if it is something as simple as a compliment to another person that they look great today, letting someone get in front of you in traffic or a checkout line costs you nothing, and you have made that person's day a little better.

edit on 11/30/2012 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Thanks once again for the insightful post,

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

The homeless man was not sitting outside a shoe store. The officer had to run two blocks to a shoe store, buy the boots, and run back.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

In an interview on the news the "photographer" said she saw him two days in a row. She passed him by. I'm not sure she should have admitted to seeing him and doing nothing, but photographing the officer giving from his heart.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Random acts of kindness - the world could use many more.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

AWWW. Now that is an inspiring picture. My heart is warmed and that isn't so easy to do. Another scene from the bible this reminds me of is Jesus washing the feet of the disciples. It is humble as the feet are about the dirtiest place on the body. No, we all should learn from this. And for those who love the King, Merry Christmas!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

As to the angel thing, that is so so true. Too bad that believing people don't understand what it is like to be a watcher/angel. If they knew, they would have a lot more sympathy for their situation. We should help them! Oh, yes. They really do exist.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If only, but PR stunts don't get any more obvious than this.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
this is pathetic. You can buy a used pair of boots for 3 dollars at a salvation army or 2nd hand store.

Its amazing that spending 3 dollars or providing boots merits it as 'news worthy'. How about " Cop makes room in basement for homeless man, provides sleep on a bed , meals on a table and a opportunity to re enter the workforce to become self sustainable" Now thats news.

The problem here is that you people think that cops are supposed to be superhuman when they are just as human as everyone else and I think people get angry when they see themselves in others.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
My gut tells me its a piece of propoganda but I don't trust police and for the most part have very little respect for them and I think they know most people share similar thoughts so I expected to see stuff like this. They obviously have talks about their pr image and stuff.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
its weird that these random things go viral

yet this guy got zero love or recognition

Winter Homeless Shelter Gets $250,000 Donation

is it just the social network thing? i dont get it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Thumps to all those people that do things like this WITHOUT wanting media attention or promoting self.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I bet some of you guys are really fun at parties.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Yeah right, every year these little neat stories pop up conveniently in the pre-christmas time.

I bet all three - the shoe giving action, the timing, and as well the fact that a photographer was presnt to capture this rare event - are all a mere coincidence.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the homeless dude turns out to be an undercover officer or some student actor, paid to polish up the LEO image.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join