It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expiration Dates On Ammunition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I was recently talking to some friends who have family members that are SERIOUS preppers. The recently visted their family during the holidays. Naturally the talk turned to preping and my friends were told when TSHTF they would be welcome to the compound. The conditions were these; bring food, bring guns and ammo, and a flag with their names on it, in order to be Identified from a distance. Snipers?
They were also told to check the boxes on any ammo they purchased for expiration dates. Apparently the companies who make ammunition have added some chemical to cause the propellant to decay. Earlier this week, I went a store similar to Bass Pro, and while I was there, I checked a great number of different calibers, as well as shotgun shells. Didn't find any expiration dates.
Have any ATS'ers run into this, or is it just prepper paranoia? (Let's face, most preppers are paranoid, or we wouldn't be doing this.)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I've wondered about this myself. Gunpowder, that has been exposed to various climes over years or even decades does degrade.

I fired some 30+ year old ammo (.270) that my Dad had and it seemed to have much more of a kick then the new box that I had. Same manufacturer and grain.

I was thinking that over the years of his military service that maybe the powder was becoming unstable.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Shotgun shells are far more permeable than cased bullets. Moisture can penetrate shot shells and render the powder inert especially if stored outdoors or in a basement where moisture is a problem.
Hand loads could be susceptible to the same if proper care isn't taken in cleaning the brass allowing particles to render the seam between the primer and the casing non-airtight.
I've never seen dates on ammo and unless it's obviously corroded it will probably still fire.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have a great deal of faith in most military ammo, as well as commercial stuff not shot shell related.
I have fired ammo from as far back as ww1 303 brit.with satisfactory results.
My only caveat here is KNOW YOUR MISFIRE AND STOPPAGE DRILLS FOR EVERY WEAPON YOU HAVE!
Most of my misfires have come from ammo that is hand loaded....and i have had a few but not many....
Also have fired a few double charged shells in the past....45 cal.....blew the wood grips and the mag out the bottom...
i always have a thin steel sheet behind my pistol grips now....slivers in the palm suck.
Axiom, dont use peoples hand loaded ammo.......you cant tell what youll get till you pull the trigger....

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I’ve never heard of an expiration date on ammo. Maybe it was an inside joke - like when you tell someone to check their car’s ‘blinker fluid’?

I almost exclusively shoot reloaded ammo in all of my guns (in many different calibers) and I have no idea how old any of it is. I’ve never had a problem.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Got some 1918 production 30-06. It goes boom like the rest of them. Slight hang fire here and there.

Also have used 1960’s production 22lr that has resided in the glove box of an old truck for more than 15 years. It also went boom like the rest of them. Two duds not withstanding.

As long as you have it in a reasonably dry location, and it doesn’t get too hot, or exposed to rapid temp changes in such a way that it will draw moisture.

Then it will go boom for as long as you are alive.

Stop worrying about the ammo, start worrying about keeping the gun on target.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Over a long period, nitrocellulose can decompose and change burn characteristics. This varies with temperature; cool and dry storage is best.
Consider also that .22 ammunition can corrode and make it less useful, especially if it is not wax lubricated. The bullets form lead oxide which makes the diameter larger and prevents feeding. This is more prevalent in the plastic containers where the cartridges are held separately and air can easily circulate. Sandpaper solves the problem but it is better to avoid it to begin with.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Aint worried about the ammo. just worried about those that are inexpereinced getting sucked into this "urban myth."
Toall who have repllied so far, thanks for the info. Perhaps I can put my friends concerns at rest.
I look forward to replies from other members.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
For the life of me, I cannot understand why any ammo company would sabotage their reputation by adding chemicals to degrade their ammo over time.

Once word got out about that practice, their ammo sales would undoubtedly collapse. It would be corporate suicide.
Definitely not a good business model to pursue.

top topics

join