O’Reilly bashes ‘fascist’ atheist: Christianity not a religion, so Christmas displays are OK

page: 1
4
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
American Atheists president David Silverman appeared on O'Reilly's show recently to talk about challenging the status of Christmas as a federal holiday. He makes an argument that I think is worthy of debate, that the Government shows preferential treatment toward Christianity by making Christmas a federal holiday. O'Reilly of course turns it into this guy saying that no one should be allowed to put up Christmas displays in public squares etc. which has nothing to do with what the guy is saying.


“It is a fact that Christianity is not a religion, it is a philosophy,” the Fox News host declared confidently. “If the government was saying that the Methodist religion deserves a special place in the public square, I would be on your side.” Raw Story (s.tt...)



Silverman responded that he was not against Christmas celebrations per se, he was only against the government favoring Christianity over other religions.

O’Reilly said Silverman’s views were “insane” and that he should get his “merry band of fascists” together to “re-vote” on Christmas being a federal holiday. After Silverman objected to being called a fascist, O’Reilly again reiterated the point by saying he was a fascist because he wanted to banish Christmas.


Raw Story (s.tt...)


Is the new rhetoric from the GOP and their mouth pieces at FOX going to be that Christianity is a philosophy and not a religion? I suppose then we can go ahead and tax all Christian Churches?

Personally I have no real problem with Christmas being a federal holiday, it's nice to have a break, but why say it's for Christmas? Why not just say winter break or winter holiday? Why not declare a whole week a federal holiday and give every religion a day of it? Silverman is correct there is a clear favoritism toward Christianity here.




posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think ALL federal holidays are dumb.

Wanna celebrate in your own house in your own way? Great! Just don't close down commerce.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof
 


I think that is okay too as long as there is some kind of provision that people not be penalized for taking days off to celebrate holidays in their religion.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof
 


Here's the thing. You have an entire world of people who want to live like American's (buy lots of stuff, enjoy luxuries like cars and air conditioning, etc) and who can blame them?

Problem: Our resource set is finite. Conservative 3% growth of productivity and economic output means we produce 60 times what we produce today by 2075 or so.

Lumber, food, fresh water, precious metals, energy are all finite resources. One little rock will never satisfy 10 billion (or 20 billion) "Americans."

This leaves us with two options:

1) Drastically reduce our population, across the entire world (without destroying the biosphere).

2) Go to the stars.

There is no third option. "Commerce" will destroy us all because we live inside a closed loop.
edit on 29-11-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Whos Bill O'Reilly?
Is that the guy with the most punchable face in America?



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by DaTroof
 


Here's the thing. You have an entire world of people who want to live like American's (buy lots of stuff, enjoy luxuries like cars and air conditioning, etc) and who can blame them?

Problem: Our resource set is finite. Conservative 3% growth of productivity and economic output means we produce 60 times what we produce today by 2075 or so.

Lumber, food, fresh water, precious metals, energy are all finite resources. One little rock will never satisfy 10 billion (or 20 billion) "Americans."

This leaves us with two options:

1) Drastically reduce our population, across the entire world (without destroying the biosphere).

2) Go to the stars.

There is no third option. "Commerce" will destroy us all because we live inside a closed loop.
edit on 29-11-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)


I agree wholeheartedly, but those are long term solutions. In the immediate future, there are millions of Americans out of work and those hours of pay would be greatly appreciated by those who aren't awestruck by a pine tree adorned with colored plastic.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by DaTroof
 


I think that is okay too as long as there is some kind of provision that people not be penalized for taking days off to celebrate holidays in their religion.


Exactly. Just take the amount of federal holidays and let employees "re-schedule" them to fit their own religions. I love this idea.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
So this is what it comes down to? Religious warfare is trying to cut down on the special moments we share with family and friends? I mean, I'm not Christian, and I certainly don't agree with Christianity, but I would never ask for this! This is ridiculous! Kids look forward to Christmas, people get married on Christmas, people are born on Christmas, and it makes them feel special. Christmas is one of those few times during the year that we can depend on to make someone's day special, to strengthen the bonds between friends, lovers, and family. At the least, it reminds us of what we have to be happy about. It's a celebration of joy.

And just for the sake of this war on the spirit, people have to try and take that away? Pfft! Good grief!



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity
 


How would it be taken away?



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof
 


*shrug* No argument. I could use the extra cash myself. So long as we understand what we are trading it for, right?



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s
 


You do realize that Christmas is one of those holidays where the entire nation celebrates the idea of service to others, rather than single-mindedly obsessing over service to self?

Personally, I think it's one of the healthiest holidays in existence. Abolishing Christmas trees won't solve your money troubles.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity
 


That's the thing, no one but O'Reilly is talking about banishing Christmas. The guest was talking about taking away it's federal holiday status.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
O’Reilly is a pompous bloated buffoon. The moron cannot even tell the difference between theology and philosophy. So much for the concept of merit; if dumbasses like Hannity insanity, rodeo clown Beck, and O’Reilly are brought on as “professionals” of anything besides running their mouths you know that network sucks. Neocons know everyone except their fellow stooges at the RNC headquarters has tuned out already. Saying dumber things is not going to attract the right kind of attention guys!



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by 0zzymand0s
 


You do realize that Christmas is one of those holidays where the entire nation celebrates the idea of service to others, rather than single-mindedly obsessing over service to self?


I disagree. The nation is not, as a whole, concerned about service to others just because it's Christmas time. People are more concerned about getting that discount on the crap they MUST buy for other people.

Ever ask a person how their Christmas was? They will tell you what they got as gifts, not what they gave away and how they felt so good giving to others.

So let me just say that there are plenty of people that would not be saddened if Christmas was cancelled....hell, even the pope came out and said that Christ wasn't born on the 25th of Dec. So why are we still doing Christmas?



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
So this is what it comes down to? Religious warfare is trying to cut down on the special moments we share with family and friends? I mean, I'm not Christian, and I certainly don't agree with Christianity, but I would never ask for this! This is ridiculous! Kids look forward to Christmas, people get married on Christmas, people are born on Christmas, and it makes them feel special. Christmas is one of those few times during the year that we can depend on to make someone's day special, to strengthen the bonds between friends, lovers, and family. At the least, it reminds us of what we have to be happy about. It's a celebration of joy.

And just for the sake of this war on the spirit, people have to try and take that away? Pfft! Good grief!


Well call it Corporatmas and take the religious element out of it..



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
look at all the modern pagans fighting over the winter solstice celebration.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
“merry band of fascists”

Now that's a funny line.

Ya have to admit.

My son in law who has been unemployed did get a seasonal job through the holidays, that's a PLUS.

Now come on guys you all like to have the holidays off, don't ya?

No?



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by UziLiberman
look at all the modern pagans fighting over the winter solstice celebration.



You have something against winter solstice?


Let is make merry together, celebrate and give thanks


Buy somebody in need a winter coat.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I think Christmas is really nice, and I'm no Christian. That we have a tree as a fertility symbol as display is a proper thing to do at midwinter solstice. That we feast on food is also important. We show the Gods honor by doing so. And, most important is that we give gifts. We buy things and we sacrifice them without the wish to get anything back. This is the time of year to give tribute to the Old Gods. Everything else is not important in my eyes. The tree is fertility, the feast is to honor the Gods and the gifts are the sacrifice we make is for the next year. Midwinter-solstice is a very important pagan time of the year. I enjoy it quite a bit.



posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nidstav
 


Trees are such an important spiritual symbol throughout the history of mankind.
witcombe.sbc.edu...






top topics



 
4
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join