It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 years old girl killed in Afghanistan because of refusing marriage proposal

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Very kind of you to be so forgiving.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

No need to apologize imho.
Emotions run high on all sides sometimes.
You made some good points. Discussing, debating and yes within reason arguing about topics is what makes this site great.

No harm, No foul.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks for the reply,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

While accepted, hardly needed. We have all gone down that dark path of letting ourselves go with posting here from time to time (if I may be so bold to be broad!) As others have already stated, lets move forward and enjoy the freedom of free thought and the exercise thereof.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
A portion of what you say I agree to. There are some, who have chosen to follow a strict path of a chosen religion. To paint with a broad brush though, not all religion breads what you have posted.

Actually yes, it does. Religion is one of the worst things to have even happened to humanity. While I can agree that for some people it may help them get through their day/lives, on a whole, it merely segregates and splits people into those that "do" believe and those that "do not". And rarely do those two camps get along.

I'm not singling out Islam - I lump them all together and tarnish them with the same brush.

I never figured you were singling out a particular religion. I have however called out your broad strokes you cast with your original statement and then this one. While personal and close to me, I will take you to my grandmother and then I want you to tell me your statement is completely factual.

It is that aspect that I take exception to. You are speaking me thinks, from a heavily biased opinion and perspective on the matter. With that, I can easily assume we just agree to disagree at this point.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

reply to post by Iwinder

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that ugly and wicked people do not exist in the US, but the person I was replying to said, in relation to the OP's story, that such happened frequently. Meaning young girls expected to be forced into marriage and under threat of decapitation if they refuse.

I agree with your post I was just trying to say lets look in our own back yard before we start throwing stones every which way.

Interesting read below
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 29-11-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

throwing stones

Pun or no Pun this is the question

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think this all could be solved with better education.
This type of brutality is commonplace everywhere but it would seem the most irrational of them come from the worst educated places.
I feel so sad for her family there were trying to do the right thing.

Also most of these punishments aren't religiously based even though that seems to be what is most commonly blamed. Traditions like this are left overs from tribal cultures. This is especially prevalent in Afghanistan i believe.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A shining example of 7th century mentality.

Let's get the heck out of there and leave them to their own devices.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I never figured you were singling out a particular religion. I have however called out your broad strokes you cast with your original statement and then this one. While personal and close to me, I will take you to my grandmother and then I want you to tell me your statement is completely factual.

What does your grandmother have to do with this? I didn't claim it was fact - it's my opinion, but it's based on my observations of what happens in the world and history.

It is that aspect that I take exception to. You are speaking me thinks, from a heavily biased opinion and perspective on the matter. With that, I can easily assume we just agree to disagree at this point.

Absolutely my opinion is biased - I'm an atheist. I went to school, studied maths and science; essentially I had an education.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

I pointed out someone who doesn't fit your model on all religion (it has nothing to do per se, with my grandmother, other than an example how your opinion is ignorant and wrong). I am pointing out that your opinion, while is yours, is very ignorant and very wrong. But keep your world view of it and continue to cast as wide a net because you have some deep seeded hatred towards religion. Extremism, stemming from religion or secularism is dangerous.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I pointed out someone who doesn't fit your model on all religion (it has nothing to do per se, with my grandmother, other than an example how your opinion is ignorant and wrong). I am pointing out that your opinion, while is yours, is very ignorant and very wrong.

And likewise, I can easily argue that your views on religion are equally ignorant and wrong. (shrug). However, none of my texts dictate a moral code to me that advocates stoning people, suppressing one's sexuality or relegating women to second class citizens of society.

But keep your world view of it and continue to cast as wide a net because you have some deep seeded hatred towards religion. Extremism, stemming from religion or secularism is dangerous.

Deep seeded hatred? No. Just a general, "fed up" with the religious dogma that seeps into daily life. Annoyed that you religious people *are that dumb* as to think the Earth is only 6000 years old. Things like that annoy me.

But more to the thread topic at hand - I get very annoyed when draconian, uneducated, savages kill 14 year old children because of a perceived insult by refusing to marry them. Rather than just "move along", they use their pea-brain to kill the other person. Or stone them. Or behead them, all in the name of [insert your favourite made up, not real deity here].

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

The reason this sort of thing happens there and not here is because they still honor the sanctity of marriage. We, as Americans, do not view sex and marriage as a sacred bond, as they do, so when someone refuses us we do not kill them quite as often - we just rape them and go on about our business.

This is purely a hypothetical generalization of course - I am not accusing anyone of being a raper - I am just offering clearity as to why they do behead refusers.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join