Flying Devil Rays

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Such an amazing video! I never thought that rays could fly...

Brown pelicans off the coast of Baja California in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico, reveal a birds eye view of the spectacular flying devil rays.

Mobula is a genus of ray in the family Myliobatidae (eagle rays). Their appearance is similar to that of Manta rays, which are in the same family. Species of this genera are often collectively referred to as "Flying Mobula" or simply "Flying rays", due to their propensity for breaching, sometimes in a spectacular manner. The Devil fish can attain a disc width of up to 5.2 metres (17 feet) and can probably weigh over a ton, second only to the Manta in size. Despite their size, little is known about this genus, much of it being from anecdotal accounts.

Mobula rays in the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) have been reported to breach as high as 2 metres above the sea.

Source

Source

Beautiful and breathtaking world we're living on...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I have swam with Stingrays, and it's the most spiritual experience i have had being so close to a wild creature.
S+F

Tony
edit on 29-11-2012 by Ferryman because: correction

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferryman
I have swam with Stingrays, and it's the most spiritual experience i have had being so close to a wild creature.
S+F

That's exactly what Steve Irwin probably thought before he got stung in the heart. Then he did probably did have a real spiritual experience.

But yes it looks beautiful. They have great belly slaps.

One even did a full flip.
edit on 29-11-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

S+F

That's exactly what Steve Irwin probably thought before he got stung in the heart. Then he did probably did have a real spiritual experience.

LOL! I'm going to hell for laughing at that.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Amazing video.
They sure aren't very elegant while "flying" out of the water, compared to in the water.

Amazing creatures.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Not really flying, more like jumps where they flap their wings.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Not really flying, more like jumps where they flap their wings.

Sure, but are we seeing evolution in action? Maybe one day these rays will become birds.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

S+F

Yes but that was an unfortunate accident, and you have only to look at Steve Irwin to know "All the lights were on, and nobodies at home". It was quite safe to swim with them.
I mean Steve Irwin had a death wish, wrangling Crocodiles, and doing dangerous things.

Tony
edit on 30-11-2012 by Ferryman because: Addition

exclusive video

top topics

join