It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyper-real pencil drawings that look like photographs - amazing!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hi guys

I just came across these drawings on the net and thought I would share with ATS. When i first saw them I was amazed to discover they are pencil drawings, and not photographs

I would embed the images, but I'm so crap at it (sorry guys, I'm so dense at times) so I'm hoping someone else might oblige .. . please?

www.wired.co.uk...#!image-number=1
What talent eh?

edit on 29-11-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

thanks for posting. can you believe, this one is painted ?

www.boredpanda.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
When i first saw them I was amazed to discover they are pencil drawings, and not photographs

These have been discussed before in a previous thread, and yes the images did in fact start off life as photographs.
The photographs are then copied/traced in pencil by hand.
So now they're drawings... but all the information about content, perspective, and lighting etc... were all from the photo.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

On the left, Samuel Silva's drawing
On the right, the photograph he copied from...

edit on 29-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The drawing looks better than the photo!

Neato!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I've seen these before and they're absolutely incredible. I think that showing the photo its copied from is a little bit of a let down though, it's like saying "look how good I am at copying this photograph". I don't deny the artistic talent is amazing, and is light-years better than anything I could ever pull out of my butt, even if I was copying; I just think the wow factor would increase ten fold were it a completely original imaginative piece.

Sorry, there's always one person to put a downer on things

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It is indeed a skill to be able to reproduce anything with such photo realism. That being said, is it art? It is artistic and nice to look at, astonishing even and beyond that? Art needs to go beyond reproduction, imho. It is the job of the artist to show us things we cannot or do not see, feel, think, question. Art should provoke or evoke.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I suppose all those old portraits and pictures of real scenes are then" NOT ART "as well then?
Is it art when one photographs a scene then paints a picture from the photo?
We could say the Mona Lisa was a copy job because he had a model then....!
Art is well............art
Anything we produce which is not "practical" ie for a purpose other than facilitating ourselves, is by definition ART.
Copying is just the first stage....the rest is just as artsy as anything else you wish to name....
All artsts end up copying something.....or expressing it....
Great pics!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

It's really hard to believe those are drawings. Such details, and depth.

Thanks for sharing!

new topics

top topics

join