It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with the "people of color" phrase.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm so tired of seeing guilty white people and racist brown people dehumanizing white people as someone separate from the rest of the human race. This idea that whites don't have any color is insulting and ridiculous. MY skin is a light brownish white. My skin is not devoid of color.

This phrase is nothing more than a modern racist attack meant to belittle and paint us as some kind of outsider within humanity. It needs to stop.

edit on 29-11-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Ok...Ill be the 1st here. Red, Black, White, Yellow, Brown are all people of color. Pakistani? Of color. Native American? Of color. Chinese? Of color. Congolese? Of color. Mexican? Of color.

White? Also, of color...w-h-i-t-e

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

White is not a colour. It's a shade

IRM

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Actually... One thing I have noticed over the years is that white people are rarely (if ever) referred to as indigenous. Even in Europe.

IRM

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by mysterioustranger

White is not a colour. It's a shade

IRM

I think that is up for debate on who you are speaking to:

The answer to the question - "Are black and white colors?" - is one of the most debated issues about color. Ask a scientist and you'll get a reply based on physics: “Black is not a color, white is a color.” Ask an artist or a child with crayons and you'll get another: “Black is a color, white is not a color.” (Maybe!)

Link

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
I'm so tired of seeing guilty white people and racist brown people dehumanizing white people as someone separate from the rest of the human race. This idea that whites don't have any color is insulting and ridiculous. MY skin is a light brownish white. My skin is not devoid of color.

This phrase is nothing more than a modern racist attack meant to belittle and paint us as some kind of outsider within humanity. It needs to stop.

I have to disagree with you 100%, I think the feeling of racism by White people or just people offended by certain terms have their own racism issues and are projecting those onto others.

(FYI-I am white)

The term "People of Color" should be more offensive to Black, Hispanic, Spanish, etc. and not to white people. The same goes when I hear white people rant about BET, Black History Month, etc. They just doesn't understand the fundamentals of what drove those things into place.

One day we will get to a point where Color, Marriage Arrangements(polygamy) and Sexual Orientation will have no baring in our society...too bad I probably will not live to see it!
edit on 11/29/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This is something that never will stop. Actually, we already took it to the next level. Today we have "grays", "Nordics", "reptilians".....
edit on 29-11-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Poor, poor you. Quit whining about trifling crap. I'm referred to as ''black'', and my complexion is actually reddish brown, not ''black''. I accept it and I don't get all pissy about something that trivial. That white guilt bullsh!+ is really getting old, this racial sh!+ is really getting old, and you must be really bored to start a thread as stupid as this one.
edit on 29-11-2012 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack
This racial sh!+ is really getting old

Yes, yes it is!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I wonder who gave the term "coloured people" to people of colour.

What are "Brown" people? Arabs, Middle Eastern, Indians, South Americans, Fijians, South East Asians?

oh wait, its all the same for you right?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Labels of color to denote race are ridiculous and inaccurate for all. What does it matter. We have an overwhelming need to categorize people, I don't know why, when we slap on a label we feel so much more comfortable. Seems if we don't label we are in dangerous territory, a kind of place without reference or difference, ohhhh the horror!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Nice try private. We have allowed ourselves to be attacked by the stupid sh!t our ancestors done in the past. The only thing that will square the ledger is if we cop the same as those other races did.. Until that happens, we haven't got an argument

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ever notice "white" people that are more of a light purplish or light pink color? Just sayin, some people are purple.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Labels of color to denote race are ridiculous and inaccurate for all. What does it matter. We have an overwhelming need to categorize people, I don't know why, when we slap on a label we feel so much more comfortable. Seems if we don't label we are in dangerous territory, a kind of place without reference or difference, ohhhh the horror!

We are made to categorize people or races because some morons out there don't understand racism is childish.. It is a cheap way of belittling someone. Unfortunetly, its one of those subjects that will always return and in all seriousness, it will most likely never go away.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed
I have to disagree with you 100%, I think the feeling of racism by White people or just people offended by certain terms have their own racism issues and are projecting those onto others.

Do you not realize this can be endlessly flipped around? Why do people like you have such a hard time just treating people equally? You think having white skin subjects you to different treatment.

(FYI-I am white)

So then why are you so opposed to equal treatment and respect for everyone, but white people?

The term "People of Color" should be more offensive to Black, Hispanic, Spanish, etc. and not to white people. The same goes when I hear white people rant about BET, Black History Month, etc. They just doesn't understand the fundamentals of what drove those things into place.

Like I said in the OP, it's a phrase that's meant to divide people. That means ALL people. Secondly, I do understand that racism has existed in this country and all humanity from the very start. This is why I oppose this sort of racially divisive language. You on the other hand seem perfectly willing to make the same mistakes, again.

One day we will get to a point where Color, Marriage Arrangements(polygamy) and Sexual Orientation will have no baring in our society...too bad I probably will not live to see it!

not when you're making excuses for a new era of racism and supporting practices that only serve to divide and incite hatred.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by Iamschist

We are made to categorize people or races because some morons out there don't understand racism is childish.. It is a cheap way of belittling someone. Unfortunetly, its one of those subjects that will always return and in all seriousness, it will most likely never go away.

What you say is most likely true, sadly. Still a person can dream. As the earth gets smaller, we are connecting more, all different types of people, over medium that has no color, like the net, falling in love and breeding. Some day we will all be a beautiful golden brown, rich with nuance. 'watches racists everywhere fall over choking'

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Do you not realize this can be endlessly flipped around? Why do people like you have such a hard time just treating people equally? You think having white skin subjects you to different treatment.

Apparently since you posted this thread that would be you having an issue, or a feeling of being "treated" different. I was born in raised in California and where I grew up everyone loved each other and got along and it wasn't about race.

Unfortunately race is still a big issue in the US and if you think it is not, then this thread would have never been posted. Ignoring it doesn't help, again one day it will not matter, but currently it does.

The other comments you have made, I will not even attempt a rebuttal since my Mother taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say.....
edit on 11/29/2012 by Djayed because: Additional Note

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

HA! Ive never understood what my wife was talking about. Egg-shelf white, pearl white, off white, white-white, almost white!!!!
I painted the dining room once and she said "I wanted it WHITE! Not white-white! EGG-SHELL"

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm actually an opaque manilla, does that count as a color?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Apparently since you posted this thread that would be you having an issue, or a feeling of being "treated" different. I was born in raised in California and where I grew up everyone loved each other and got along and it wasn't about race.

The same California that's home to still ongoing race wars between Latino and black gangs?

Unfortunately race is still a big issue in the US and if you think it is not, then this thread would have never been posted. Ignoring it doesn't help, again one day it will not matter, but currently it does.

It's an issue everywhere. People with attitudes like yours aren't helping.

The other comments you have made, I will not even attempt a rebuttal since my Mother taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say....

Why would you have anything bad to say? I'm promoting equality. You're promoting treating people different based on skin color. You're the problem, not me.

Ignoring racism from non-whites just because you feel guilty about being white is hypocritical and not productive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join