It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China claims 'historical' right to sea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

China claims 'historical' right to sea

www.news.com.au

The latest front on the simmering dispute is China's new passport, which shows a map of the country including almost all of the strategically significant sea, the site of key shipping routes and possibly significant petroleum reserves.
It is also claimed wholly or in part by Vietnam and the Philippines - both of which have refused to stamp the Chinese travel documents - Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
asean2012.mfa.gov.kh

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Now I'm hearing conflicting reports and stories about this.
I live in the south of China and I've been reading alot of news about the new Chinese passport with the embossed South China sea map, it's caused quite a stir in the Philippines and Vietnam.

Apparently boarder officials from both countries are refusing to stamp any Chinese passport, instead they issue Chinese travelers with their own internal permits.

At the start of this month the ASEAN summit was meant to flesh out a solution between the countries of the disputed area, but China was a no show which really pissed off the the parties stated above.

China claims the area is their due to "Historical right" they even use America as an example for taking Guam.

So China is playing hardball and I don't think they are going to let down, they have that recommissioned aircraft carrier at their disposal now, it's heating up.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-11-2012 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I don't understand why the uproar over this event. It's only a picture of a map on a passport, right?

While it may be in poor taste, why is it such a big deal to the other nations?

Even the article states: "The geographical location of the island does not necessarily indicate to which country it belongs."

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think if the resisting countries stamp the passports it would hint at their acceptence of the Chinese claims.Good for their not being bullied.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

So China is playing hardball and I don't think they are going to let down, they have that recommissioned aircraft carrier at their disposal now, it's heating up.
Do they have any pilots trained to actually land on the aircraft carrier yet?

I know that it has been an issue.

edit on 29-11-2012 by butcherguy because: Repaired punctuation.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

No one owns the friggin Sea!!!!

The sooner these Elites accept the fact that this World is not theirs... the better we will be.....

The Sea was here long before us and will be here long after us. Anyone can build/buy a boat and travel wherever they want on the Sea!!

Christopher Columbus didn't need a License to Sail around the World.... why do they have these Licenses now??

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They are getting there they were just int he news for landing their first plane on the aircraft. One aircraft carrier isnt going to be enough though.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsallmaya
I don't understand why the uproar over this event. It's only a picture of a map on a passport, right?

While it may be in poor taste, why is it such a big deal to the other nations?

Even the article states: "The geographical location of the island does not necessarily indicate to which country it belongs."

If anything I think China thinks they need to show some muscle.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

They want to drag the world to ww3. As if there isn't enough trouble in the middle east already.

here's to hoping the citizens of a country know better than to follow orders to go to war for a corrupt government which only fleeces its people and leaves them in the muck

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

What facts are they supposed to base this off of?

As far as I can tell the world does belong to the elites, since us common folk are too stupid to do anything about it.

Facts are facts, money walks, bull# talks. When you have the money and power, you have what you want.

I'd say if anything we need to accept the fact that's how it is, and always was. Money is power.

Even if we were to overthrow the rich, someone would take over their wealth and become the rich.

Life's a bit@H.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Honestly, if you're going to make the large and obvious geo-strategic resource, commerce and military grab that a large and developing country like you (China) need and the whole world community knows you need to prevent domestic social unrest-- please-- just do me the favor of not treating me like an idiot, with utterly meaningless phrases like "Historical" right. Honestly, it is just insulting. How about in return, Americans will stop declaring that we're invading and helping to destabilize Middle East states for "freedom", when the world knows its about protecting key oil-producing states in the region and promoting strategic interests. Enough games, the public is historically learned enough to understand the tragic necessity of global strategic power moves. Just call it like it is and save us the corporate-state speak, please.

-Ghoster
edit on 29-11-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Errr, sorry for the double-post

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
No different than Israel using a dusty old magic book to claim rights to land they don't own.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
reply to post by butcherguy

They are getting there they were just int he news for landing their first plane on the aircraft. One aircraft carrier isnt going to be enough though.

They're years away from it being fully operational, and close to just about every other country that has a carrier. As one article put it, they just reached 1945 with their first landing.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Some of the motivation on the reluctance for China to part with control over sea-areas is USA's willingness to put up military bases surrounding China. This is like the Cuba-crisis. China is USA and USA is Soviet. During the crisis of the Japanese islands, there were some talks about placing US missiles there. I don't think the world needs to allow USA to put up any more military bases abroad. It's not China that is doing the war-mongering. It's another state. Just listen to the things people in Congress have said about China. Romney even tried to get elected on a platform that included China as an enemy of USA. I think we need to see a different Asia. Japan is an example of how things went horribly wrong. They are talking about lost decades over there. Change is needed.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
so where do we draw the line on historical claims? do we all start learning latin in preperation for the reformed roman empire(they have historical claims on most of europe parts of africa and inroads to asia)....or are we gonna be going the mongol route and putting them back in charge? at what point do we all agree on what historical maps are gonna be used?

all this does is play into the usa's hands as china tries to assert its self we keep adding allies that are more scared of china then they are of the usa. vietnam is warming up to us dispite all that went down during the vietnam war and i would predicit that the japanese change their constitution in a few years so that they too can once again have a military to help the usa and its allies keep china contained and bottled up like we have for the last few decades

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
No different than Israel using a dusty old magic book to claim rights to land they don't own.

Or islamic of x-ian insistance that everyone else has to follow their version of that dusty old magic book??

but there's nothing magic about receipts and deeds for land sales dating back to the 1920's, the UN resolution that setup Israel, or the Arab invasion the day before that resolution took effect.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This just in: China claims historical right to solar system and thereby has jurisdiction over planet Earth. Prepare thy women to speak mandarin. That is all.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

If anything I think China thinks they need to show some muscle.

Oh, so it's more of a testoserone thing.

Thought so, thanks!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by itsallmaya

It all boils down to who is the biggest on the block right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join