Oops! Now Other Countries Have Drones

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Oops! Now Other Countries Have Drones

But American drones are not alone in the sky. Spy drones routinely shadow U.S. aircraft carrier strike groups and other military exercises. Drones crisscross the Persian Gulf. Israeli drones have circled over Gaza during the recent fighting there. Experts say it's a rare conflict that doesn't attract spy drones; even the United Nations has considered using drones to monitor the fighting in Congo.

Using unmanned aircraft with cameras is nothing new, of course. But armed drone technology is different: the rapidly spreading technology gives attackers a new edge, whether they are clandestine terrorist gangs or global superpowers. Small and highly maneuverable, drones can befuddle air defense systems built to intercept big, lumbering aircraft.

A new Pentagon study frets that enemy drones could be a "very serious threat" to U.S. aircraft carriers in the Pacific and elsewhere, as well as to "supply convoys and other combat support assets which have not had to deal with an airborne threat in generations." On the battlefield, an enemy could create chaos and confusion simply by flooding the airspace with drones, and any U.S. bases within drone range would have to be closed, the report said.

In essence, the study suggested, armed drones are the equivalent of the Improvised Explosive Device (IED), a simple, cheap and effective weapon which has forced the U.S. to spend billions of dollars in defense while experiencing growing casualties: 1,330 Americans have been killed in Afghanistan by IEDs, including 125 so far this year.

An incident early last month dispelled any doubts about the spread of drone technology. On Oct. 6, a small unmanned aircraft flew high over Israel's Mediterranean coast, headed for its nuclear reactor at Dimona. Soaring for 35 miles through heavily guarded Israeli airspace, the intruder was eventually shot down by an Israeli F-16.

Against such small and maneuverable threats, Israel's missile defenses -- including its Arrow and Iron Dome missile defense systems, so effective against rockets fired from Gaza this month -- are less effective.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

So how long is it going to be before NATO starts invading countries that have weaponized drones?

I wonder if radar or whatever other imaging device could pick up a fleet of micro-drones if they were to bomb the US?

edit on 29-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)
edit on 29-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
that's what happens when the military industrial complex embezzles the defence fund and uses it for anything but defence.

they have you believe that the u.s. military is the most advanced and technologically superior force on earth.

but evidence proves otherwise. if top admirals are saying a lousy drone could threaten an $8 billion supercarrier, cause havoc on the battlefield and make the army run from it's bases, something is not right.

if americas most advanced drone gets easily hacked by the enemy, and taliban fighters with laptops can tap into live feeds, then how advanced is it.

i think its a case of defence contractors promising the military the world and over claiming their abilities to justify the price tags.

and not delivering.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

What is a "drone" really? Its a modified or upgraded remote control airplane which have been around forever.

To me it seems like yet another scare tactic or the latest boogeyman to keep the people living in fear and to try and justify the billions given to the Military Industrial Complex.

Think about it, the US is spending more now than it was during the height of the cold war and the so called "enemy" doesnt even have a navy, an airforce, no army... Whos the enemy again?

edit on 29-11-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I was reading this article last night that now Homeland Security have underwater drones!

"And while it does have a number of security applications, this high maneuverability makes it perfectly suited for accessing hard-to-reach places such as flooded areas of ships, sea chests and parts of oil tankers.
Other potential missions include inspecting and protecting harbors and piers, performing area searches and military applications."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I wonder if the "military applications" imply it can be armed?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Pardon if this is off-topic but with all the uses they claim for these things I cant help but wonder if their cameras are as easily defeated as other surveillance type cameras such as a simple IR light?

What good does it do if all a drone sees is a glow of light walking around?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Bit confused by this post because many nations have had drones for many years. Is it just that Iran has managed to make one that causes some problems? If so, then he should cut the waffle and get to the point rater than making it sound likke it is news.

Regards

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

I am confused how this is breaking news. Many countries employ drone technology....United States, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Israel, India, Iran (rumor has it), Turkey, Russia, etc. While the United States is the forerunner of that technology, it was no secret that other nations have also dabbled in it...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Not just other countries...

The leader of Hezbollah claimed today his group was responsible for an unidentified drone that flew deep into Israeli airspace on Saturday before it was shot out of the sky by the Israeli Air Force, and that the aircraft was Iranian-made.
From October-ABC News

The way I understand the war industry: basically the Western powers, specifically the US, develops a cutting edge technology and uses it to dominate until they somehow advanced this tech, or develop some defense against it, at which point they sell the now second rate tech to everyone else.

Good business plan

Unless you want people to not die
edit on 11/29/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
The way I understand the war industry: basically the Western powers, specifically the US, develops a cutting edge technology and uses it to dominate until they somehow advanced this tech, or develop some defense against it, at which point they sell the now second rate tech to everyone else.

Your assertion flies in the face of the facts. The US is a big supplier of arms by value, but Russia is not far behind. In fact, Russia is particularly big in sales to the developing (and undeveloped) world. The big cash in arms are aircraft and the US has lots to sell to rich nations in the Middle East.

China is particularly big in Africa - nations who have small budgets but need lots of small arms and APCs etc... The US has practically no sales in Africa at all, tending (presumably) to give the cash aid so that these nations can buy the guns instead of the education and infrastructure their people actually need.

Regards

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

My assertion that more advanced countries sell their old weapons to less developed countries flies in the face of facts?

Every country does this, but like I said- particularly the West and more particularly America as that's where the top tech is continuously developed.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Honestly im more surprised that no terrorists have bought a quadrotor off the internet and strapped plastic explosives to it. wouldnt take a skilled person to fly one through an open window and blow it up.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

Don't give any false-flaggers ideas, because that is a good one.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
OMFG !!!! A kamikaze drone !!!

Whose is going in first ? Somehow this type of cheap tech levels up the playing field cos now everyone can have the same fun. Starwars can have another episode: Attack Of The Drones.

new topics

top topics

join