It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detecting the Soul.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Strange that none of what you said supports the belief in an afterlife.

Seems like kinda a waste to make an entire post about me. Unless there was some sort of alterior motive in doing so.
I am telling you it doesnt exist... in a few years you can come back and say ive got psychic powers, you were a naive little boy, or an idiot.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
as everyone has their own views and beliefs and i didn't want it to boil down to a thread about a soul existing or not based on beliefs alone.
I was wondering how we could go about proving the existence of a soul?

proving the existence of a soul? I don't think we are anywhere near that yet.

Personally I do believe in a soul/afterlife, because of my personal experiences.
But unfortunately, a lot of my experiences are disregarded by scientists or doctors and they write them off with some kind of 'physical cause' explenation.
The irony is that they can't show me, or proof to me, this so called physical cause either! But they are doctors so they must be right! right?

In my family everyone knows I have an interest in this topic, so years ago I asked everyone to try and make contact after they die, should they be able to....
A lot of them have died in the mean time, none of them made contact.... or at least nothing that would give absolute proof. I've been quite depressed over this.

The soul? for me it's a 'knowing', I'm sure the soul exists and I'm not a religious person.
If it doesn't, then my dead is the end of me and I won't be suffering from that... so there is no harm in believing.

great topic s&f

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Strange that none of what you said supports the belief in an afterlife.

Strange that I never claimed to have evidence to support a belief in an afterlife, nor did I claim to be a firm believer in any kind of life after death. I'm open to either possibility, because there isn't enough evidence either way.

My point was that anybody who says they know for sure either way is a fool, because there isn't enough evidence to prove whether it exists or not. That was my whole point. Anybody that just says "Yes, it does exist, absolutely!" or "Nope, never, case closed" isn't really taking a scientific approach, which is always digging for answers.

Seems like kinda a waste to make an entire post about me. Unless there was some sort of alterior motive in doing so.
I am telling you it doesnt exist.

No, no *ulterior* motive at all. I just don't think you're being very objective about this in the sense that you are letting your emotions cloud your judgement. I notice a fair amount of anger in your posts. As I said, maybe you dislike the idea of any kind of spirituality because you feel violated, which you didn't deny. However, just because somebody gets f***ed over by organized religion (which I also dislike, by the way) doesn't automatically mean that absolutely nothing beyond this physical realm exists. People dislike organized religion, and instantly associate any kind of spiritual notions with that of religion, so in their opinion none of it can exist at all.

So, my original post wasn't directed at you 100%. But to anyone else who assumes that just because organized religion (which is nothing more than a business IMO) is corrupt and vile, that the general possibility of something else beyond this physical world existing is improbable. Either way is possible in my opinion.

It's kind of a win-win situation either way. That's why it doesn't bother me no matter what the outcome. If there is something out there, that's cool, that would mean that there was a purpose to everything and that the universe is even more complex and interesting than we originally thought. If there is nothing, that's not so bad either. There would be no awareness, so it's not like people would be thinking to themselves "Damn this darkness sucks, I miss earth, I want a cigarette!" etc. And nobody would really have to care about anything. I wouldn't have to face any kind of karmic retribution for things I've done in the past. It would be an easy and liberating lifestyle.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I suppose if you look at an atheistic reality from the perspective of a psychopath.

What happens if i say these things dont exist and i turn out to be right? Does that mean anything to you?

We can be certain about a great majority of things the notion of certainty that your throwing around is useless. I KNOW there is no Afterlife because there is not even a small possiblity of it existing and the very nature of the suggestion seems childish from the start.

All of these unsupportabe claims made by mystics dont deserve a single bit of value.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
In a world which has convinced the majority that "scientific proof" and "experience" is required in order to fully believe something, we are just set up for accepting the son of perdition. Why? Because that "scientific proof", like the purported 21 gram difference, may demonstrate that something does leave the body at the moment of death, but it will give you no additional information. It will never tell you that if that spirit isn't in Christ through being born again, it will perish. 

God tells us that we are three parts - body, soul and spirit. The soul is the mind, emotions and will and it's the spirit that gives life to the soul and body. It is the soul (mind, emotions and will) which must be purified to and through the Truth, the Word - "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." It is only the Word of God that divides the soul and spirit. Those who do not believe do not have the spirit of Christ within them, therefore upon death, they are not in the Lamb's Book of Life. 

Please understand why the occult only preaches that we are two parts -body and soul. When they speak of spirituality, they speak of the soul only - the consciousness, the intellect, the mind and the emotions. It's why pleasure in the flesh and mind are promoted because they preach the soul only, it's why they worship the penis and man as "god"  instead of the Creator. The movement within science, "quantum physics", is but the movement of science to prove further existence, a realm of "universal consciousness". It will give the world "proof". as the President of Iran recently stated about his Imam Mahdi by "opening the gates of science and knowledge". Unfortunately the "proof" that this arm of science will give you will jive with the occult, not with your Creator. Today, millions astral travel and awaken their consciousness, never once understanding that the delusions and vain imaginations of their mind and heart produce false visions and encounters with beings which are alternately aliens, spirit guides, ascended masters and even humans from our past and future! 

Please, don't focus on "proof". You've been indoctrinated to believe that "proof" is required before you can believe in anything, and this is seen everyday on ATS by those whom state unequivocally that they cannot believe in the "bearded man in the sky" unless proof is given. Jesus said that the only proof this world would be given is the sign of Jonah and that it is solely the Father who grants that belief. But yet, man still demands physical proof and refuses to humble themselves in prayer seeking Him for belief. Why? Because their soul - their mind, intellect, emotions and will - rules them. The soul wants to be like god, defining good and evil for himself based on emotions of pleasure and the senses instead of by God's righteousness and justice. The world's proof, like the supposed 21 grams, will teach you none of this. It may "prove" that something within the body departs upon death, but it will only be used in support of the occult's push for "global consciousness" known by many names today. In fact, it is already used in many New Age writings to justify the genocide of all who will refuse the new world order - the new rising "unity of consciousness". These writings preach that it's not actually murder or genocide because those who must be eliminated will "just move on as we all do". This is why the occult science will "prove" an afterlife.

"Proof" is what Godless men give you to control your mind and actions. "Faith" is what the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob bestows to save you.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

How exactly is that the perspective of a psychopath? I'd say it's a little closer to nihilism if anything. Not that I am a nihilist at the moment, but if it were proven that this is it, then I suppose I would be.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Hijinx

I've read about such studies before and recognise GUT's example. So I tried to think of an analogy and came up with trying to measure the difference between an empty hard-drive and one that's been filled full of data - it doesn't work as nothing is ever added, it just moves data around. When unplugged (dead), the disc (body) holds the same data (weight).

As an extension of that analogy, perhaps a soul would be more akin to the 'internet' being plugged in to a machine? In that case, there's I/O traffic going on continuously and when the internet is disconnected we're left with the HD the same weight as ever. Simultaneously, the internet continues to exist and includes at least some of the data inputted by the now *dead* computer.

Maybe book analogy works better? In that frame, we'd be like a book that has all the words removed and how could we weigh that difference?

Maybe an idea is to use super-colliders? You take a victim volunteer who has little time left and install them in the interior of a particle-accelerator. Then you monitor their life-signs until the familiar death-signature is written on the monitor screens. At that moment, you blast the crap out of them and see what particles get pinged?! Yeah sure, the notional soul might be very pissed off at such white-coated pioneerism and vision, but hey, it's all part of the soul's journey right?!

*If* we did find evidence for something like a 'soul,' it'd certainly shake us all up a little. We'd immediately have a dichotomous awareness knowing that our organic senses are thinking one thing and knowing that something else is piggy-backing us and thinking something else. In a way, it might be like split-brain patients and their 24/7 knowledge of the two hemispheres having distinctly different experiences of the same stimuli.

I'd suppose also that discovering evidence of a 'soul' wouldn't be proof of anything more than the existence of an energy of unknown intent and origin. It wouldn't be *proof* of [pick a religion]. We'd have to use some extraordinary rendition to water-board one in the LHC until it spills the goods!

I'm sorry if it came off as such, I wasn't intending an experiment as such to prove or absolve religious beliefs. No matter who says what, or what contradictions with in religion are outlined they still believe, and that is 100% okay by me. My intentions with this thought is not to attack, or remove anyone individuals faith. Which is in part why I chose philosophy and metaphysics. There are a large number of us who believe in something, and the idea of a soul can be considered entirely philosophical in one sense, but as far as the paranormal Spirit/ghost encounters some of us have witnessed or interested in, perhaps there is something to the whole soul theory.

If we can detect "ghosts" ( I'm aware of the evidence of both believers and non believers to explain the phenomena) why can't we detect a soul exiting the body. I quite often hear of paranormal investigators detecting spirits with EMF, and thermal imaging equipment, now these phenomena are momentary at best but if a soul exiting a body as energy or what ever it is, wouldn't it be at it's strongest leaving the host? We should in theory, given the right method of detection be able to discover it quite "Easily." The question remains what are we looking for, how do we detect it. I do not believe it is impossible. I enjoyed your internet analogy, but in the same light. If a computer stops broadcasting, it still exists. So this could be the body I suppose, the remaining information on the net would be more like the memories of the individuals actions with in those still living(connected to the internet.) The soul seems to be something different. In religion the soul goes to heaven, or hell. How ever there are those that believe ghosts are the embodiment of souls. I'm getting a little off track.

I enjoy your analogy, but if the soul is in the body, and exits the body that should be the easiest time to detect it. There could be a number of processes with in the body we are unaware of at this time. Discerning what is a process of life, and the soul would be difficult. A particle accelerator would be an interesting idea, if it wouldn't cause every particle in the human body to scatter creating an overload of information to search through and discern. Particle accelerators operate on a single atom and can take years to discern all the pieces, imagine an entire body of Trillions of molecules, composed of trillions more atoms, and trillions more particles. It would be insane, but if it's the only way, perhaps it's the only way ha ha.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observationalist
Only one time I saw a dead body, it was my grandmas. It was in the hospital after they pulled her breathing apparatus. I remember getting ready to walk not that room not sure what to expect. I wasn't close with her so there was not much emotion but It was quite disturbing to see her lifeless body. She looked like a zombie costume, an empty bag of bones, a lifeless object. She could have been a sheet, a cup or the pen in the cup. She, i mean it was meaningless.
Her soul was not present in that room. If we can recognize the lack of soul wouldn't that prove the existence of the soul.
I think about how when will talk with someone who is alive, "that's not like you " or "she doesn't seem like herself".
Are we in tune with something deeper or are we just observing inconsistency in expected patterns of behavior.
Was because my grandma did not sit up and turn her head to acknowledge my presence my cue that she was without a soul, or was there deeper connection that was missing.
Wow, I haven't revisited that memory in a while, sorry I rambled a bit.
I'm a Christian by the way, so I have my own reasons to believe we have souls, but I love your approach to the question of soul.
While I was writing this post, the song below was playing. I thought it appropriate for the mood.

Well, I know this could be a touchy subject for you, but a lifeless body is disturbing to anyone. Even more so if you knew them. I do not how ever know we can recognize the absence of a soul. When the human body dies, it no longer breaths, moves, feels warm, so it could be a number of factors that cause you to feel the absence of the soul. Human bodies move constantly while they are alive, and our subconscious picks up on every single one of these movements. Quite often when we get " That feeling" about someone, it may not be a psychic phenomena but rather your subconscious mind, picking up on the hundreds of micro-movements our bodies make giving away even the best "actors." Many of us condition ourselves and lose this primitive form of discerning body language, but certain ques remain and some of us are exceptionally good at picking them out, with out even knowing it.

I'm just saying it is likely, a completely still body, lost it's color strikes our primitive instincts. It's encoded in our brains to find death unnerving, and from birth we are all aware of how to recognize it.

It does how ever remain probable we can on some level detect the absence of a soul, if it does in fact exist. I do not know. I've had experiences that make me want to believe in it, how ever I have so many questions my rational, logical interests make me wonder. It could be something fantastical, how ever it could have a very logical explanation. I have bounced back and forth so many times I can not count. I've had experiences that I was certain are paranormal, how ever as time goes on I begin to wonder if the explanation is disappointingly ordinary.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I sincerely hope I have not offended you. I seem to be in a very logical mindset as of late, and began to wonder about the soul. I could come on a few days from now and become the polar opposite.

Thank you for adding to the thread and the discussion.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
It would be far better to develop a way to measure energy. From orgone to spirits to the enrgy which surrounds all living things, we have no way to measure it or detect it yet as far as I know. Once you manage this, you can determine all kinds of "proofs' which science requires to "validate" something. It is the height of arrogance to put science's approval on something anyway. Why should we need that approval to know that it was experienced or real?
If you managed this, you would also probably pick up James Randi's million bucks for proving 'something' ESP/energy/ghosties/whatever exists. Thats better than a poke in the eye and may provide some motivation.
I think the first thing to do is to go speak with some Russians as they are well up in this field, and they have developed the Kirlian (photography) and related technologies and even use them for diagnosis already.
Of course, once you have discovered the way to measure those different kinds of energy, the military may be interested in you as well since you will be interfering with their technologies and once measured will expose their secrets.

We can measure energy, considering the entire universe is composed of energy it's a little strange to think we can not. Energy has many forms, and with in those forms we have many ways of measuring them. I will agree with you we may not be able to detect it at the moment, but it's a matter of looking for the right energy.

I personally have not seen any evidence to suggest orgone being an truthful energy, but I can not say definitively it does not exist, and I'm not going to try that is not my point here, and I do not wish to challenge your beliefs.

We are capable of measuring the tiniest particles with in atoms, and the most minute impulses of electricity with in our brains. I will agree it can be difficult to detect specific forms of energy, but the technology does exist we simply have to find the right energy and frequency to measure. There is either not enough interest, or the specific signature of the energy is unknown at this time, so we can not look. Energy can take many forms and many frequencies. From the plastic making up the keys on your keyboard, to the cells in your brain they are energy, in specific frequencies in harmony that make up EVERYTHING. This is part of the large particle accelerators purpose. To understand how, why, and what makes up the particles of the universe. It is incredibly unlikely something that exists would be unmeasurable.

You do understand our brains work in two ways right? To call me arrogant for wishing to learn is absolutely absurd, and I wonder how whether or not you give much thought to anything at all. I do not " Need " Proof to believe in something. I believe in a whole lot of things that have absolutely 0 proof at this time. That's the beauty of science, it would not exist with out imagination and believing in your cause. I am not out to disprove the soul, but if it were to come of such an experiment so be it.

Our bodies are host to a whole bunch of naturally occurring substances that can cause all sorts of Amazing experiences unlike anything we have ever known. Walking through high EMF can cause experiences, radio waves, all sorts of ordinary things. Does this mean I believe no heaven, hell, psychic abilities, or soul exist? No, I don't think so, how ever I do believe these very things could also have different causes as well. Doesn't mean one or the other is definitive.

As well to disprove the soul we would have to catalog every single impulse, reaction, energy and excretion of the human body down to the very molecules of existence before we can say it does not and we are no where near there.

Experience is a kind of proof by the way. Our right brains how ever may take the ordinary and bend it into extra-ordinary. James Randi offers his money for someone to prove psychic abilities and though this may come as a bit of a blow to some, it does not mean psy does not exist. He merely wants someone to prove it to him.

I require no proof, rather I'm asking for a constructive conversation on thoughts, opinions, beliefs, and theories. We may not agree, but I will not force you to agree with me either. You are yet another that get's testy, and aggressive when challenged.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

as everyone has their own views and beliefs and i didn't want it to boil down to a thread about a soul existing or not based on beliefs alone.
I was wondering how we could go about proving the existence of a soul?

proving the existence of a soul? I don't think we are anywhere near that yet.
Personally I do believe in a soul/afterlife, because of my personal experiences.
But unfortunately, a lot of my experiences are disregarded by scientists or doctors and they write them off with some kind of 'physical cause' explenation.
The irony is that they can't show me, or proof to me, this so called physical cause either! But they are doctors so they must be right! right?

In my family everyone knows I have an interest in this topic, so years ago I asked everyone to try and make contact after they die, should they be able to....
A lot of them have died in the mean time, none of them made contact.... or at least nothing that would give absolute proof. I've been quite depressed over this.
The soul? for me it's a 'knowing', I'm sure the soul exists and I'm not a religious person.
If it doesn't, then my dead is the end of me and I won't be suffering from that... so there is no harm in believing.
great topic s&f

I have said in the beginning I am unbiased. So I don't want anyone taking what I say and trying to use it against me here.

I have myself had a number of experiences I can not explain, nor would I even begin to be able to. I've searched and searched. Seeing psychics, talked to counselors, doctors, and they all have their own explanations and I suppose they can both be entirely possible. Doctors will say it's the release of hormones in the brain, and it very likely could be. It makes sense as far as that goes, a good rush of seretonin, dopamine or adrenaline can do crazy things to our brain. Oxygen depravation, being unconscious. Medication, they could all very likely be explanations to the things I've experienced, but I'm no closer now than I was the times I experienced the events to explaining or understanding them, but I am a man of logic and science as much as a man of art and imagination. I flip flop, constantly. Yes that must have been a ghost, but oh wait maybe it was a disturbance caused by any number of sources of man made or natural energies. It's enough to drive a man mad. Ha ha

I don't think we are anywhere near proving it either, I really don't think we have the desire to do so, or the right criteria to follow. How ever I can't help but wonder how we would do it? I too feel compelled a soul does exist, how ever I'm not ignorant to the possibility it does not. When I was young, I believed when we die were gone. That's it lights out, so be it. Then in my early 20's I had a whole bunch of strange experiences, and started looking into the possibility of an afterlife, read up on a bunch of different religious and spiritual beliefs, and my interest grew into the possibility. I consider myself unbiased, but I have a longing to know.

Thank you for adding to the discussion, and I'm really interested to see what others think, and if they have any ideas.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

I know what you mean about the lifeless eyes and such. I've never seen somebody die in front of me, but as a depraved youth I used to watch some pretty weird stuff on the internet, including a handful of suicide videos which show exactly what you talk about. I won't get into details, but I remember one where somebody shot himself in the head, and as soon as he slumped to the floor his eyes were just empty. It's hard to find words to describe that look. I personally don't know if a soul exists or not, but I do find it very odd how within a split second it looks like the person just isn't 'in there' anymore. It isn't even anything specific either, like you can't pinpoint exactly what looks different in a physical sense, but one look into those eyes and you instantly know that what was once a person is just merely an object now.

Mysterious indeed.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
In a world which has convinced the majority that "scientific proof" and "experience" is required in order to fully believe something, we are just set up for accepting the son of perdition. Why? Because that "scientific proof", like the purported 21 gram difference, may demonstrate that something does leave the body at the moment of death, but it will give you no additional information. It will never tell you that if that spirit isn't in Christ through being born again, it will perish. 
God tells us that we are three parts - body, soul and spirit. The soul is the mind, emotions and will and it's the spirit that gives life to the soul and body. It is the soul (mind, emotions and will) which must be purified to and through the Truth, the Word - "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." It is only the Word of God that divides the soul and spirit. Those who do not believe do not have the spirit of Christ within them, therefore upon death, they are not in the Lamb's Book of Life. 
Please understand why the occult only preaches that we are two parts -body and soul. When they speak of spirituality, they speak of the soul only - the consciousness, the intellect, the mind and the emotions. It's why pleasure in the flesh and mind are promoted because they preach the soul only, it's why they worship the penis and man as "god"  instead of the Creator. The movement within science, "quantum physics", is but the movement of science to prove further existence, a realm of "universal consciousness". It will give the world "proof". as the President of Iran recently stated about his Imam Mahdi by "opening the gates of science and knowledge". Unfortunately the "proof" that this arm of science will give you will jive with the occult, not with your Creator. Today, millions astral travel and awaken their consciousness, never once understanding that the delusions and vain imaginations of their mind and heart produce false visions and encounters with beings which are alternately aliens, spirit guides, ascended masters and even humans from our past and future! 
Please, don't focus on "proof". You've been indoctrinated to believe that "proof" is required before you can believe in anything, and this is seen everyday on ATS by those whom state unequivocally that they cannot believe in the "bearded man in the sky" unless proof is given. Jesus said that the only proof this world would be given is the sign of Jonah and that it is solely the Father who grants that belief. But yet, man still demands physical proof and refuses to humble themselves in prayer seeking Him for belief. Why? Because their soul - their mind, intellect, emotions and will - rules them. The soul wants to be like god, defining good and evil for himself based on emotions of pleasure and the senses instead of by God's righteousness and justice. The world's proof, like the supposed 21 grams, will teach you none of this. It may "prove" that something within the body departs upon death, but it will only be used in support of the occult's push for "global consciousness" known by many names today. In fact, it is already used in many New Age writings to justify the genocide of all who will refuse the new world order - the new rising "unity of consciousness". These writings preach that it's not actually murder or genocide because those who must be eliminated will "just move on as we all do". This is why the occult science will "prove" an afterlife.
"Proof" is what Godless men give you to control your mind and actions. "Faith" is what the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob bestows to save you.

I am not out to insult anyone, but in the same light you've been indoctrinated to believe faith is all you need.

With out belief, curiosity, and imagination science would not exist. We must imagine, become curious and believe we can find an answer for science to exist. I do not believe for a second that science is evil, or occult. Science is simply our attempts to understand the world around us. We Observe something, we investigate, we ask questions so that we can better understand our world. Science in no way is out to destroy anything, promote evil or turn is into evil beings. In fact, science could offer proof for those that disbelieve religion. Ignorance is the heart of all evil, and I'm surprised some one obviously of faith would be so ignorant.

I'm not out to attack or discuss religious beliefs. If you do not wish to discuss the subject because it offends you, than do not participate. I do not wish to offend you, but there are others who are interested and wish to participate. I'm sorry we have upset you discussing this topic.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

I can't help but wonder what it is you do for a living. You proclaim so much as definitive fact, and obviously aren't open to learning, imagination or creativity.

Albert Einstein, one of the worlds greatest minds proclaimed he would be nothing with out imagination and wonder.

You just seem so angry, and so sure of yourself. What is it that drives you to be this way? Everyone has dreams, fantasies, curiosity, you seem so empty in your words. I'm really not trying to be insulting, I'm observing and my curiosity has the better of me now.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Nothing would exist without imagination. The imagination makes believe there is a world 'around us'. And you believe you live in a world. You look outside yourself for answers because you believe there is an outside.

The mind imagines that there is more than this and then searches elsewhere. There is no elsewhere - this is it.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Albert Einstein, one of the worlds greatest minds proclaimed he would be nothing with out imagination and wonder.

He was right - you are nothing. Imagination says you are something but in reality you are nothing.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Even imagination and creativity should show you that these types of ideas are childish and irrational. I can honestly say that ive seen enough horrible things to wish that all of these mystics were right.

Without some meatphsycial safety net life is far more of an emergency. I wouldnt care if i thought that such beliefs would last forever. Cant you see the time fast approching where these ideas can no longer survive in an enviroment saturated in knowledge?

Every time you encourage someones faith in irrational self-destructive delusions your doing real harm....

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Nobody is encouraging faith. The OP started a topic to discuss possibilities of detecting the soul if it does exist, not to encourage faith or religion. He didn't mention any religion at all. If anybody is turning this into a religion thread, it's YOU. Stop trying to derail the thread. It wasn't intended to be about religion or militant atheism.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Nothing is the soul. Nothing cannot ever be destroyed. In nothing all apparent things appear and then disappear.

All you will ever know is appearances and disappearances. You will never disappear because you never appear because you are nothing.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Xaphan

I suppose if you look at an atheistic reality from the perspective of a psychopath.

What happens if i say these things dont exist and i turn out to be right? Does that mean anything to you?

We can be certain about a great majority of things the notion of certainty that your throwing around is useless. I KNOW there is no Afterlife because there is not even a small possiblity of it existing and the very nature of the suggestion seems childish from the start.

All of these unsupportabe claims made by mystics dont deserve a single bit of value.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

You say that you KNOW there is no afterlife. I would have to agree because there is nothing but life. Death is just an idea that arises in life. Just as sleep is an idea that arises in wakefulness.

Ideas arise presently that make believe there is 'other' than 'this' - there isn't - this is it.

Eternally present.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Isn't it remarkable when the human mind decides to wonder it attracts others who feel absolutely compelled to discredit, insult and derail all thoughts as such? We seem to have two at the moment, I wonder how many more will charge forth up in arms attempting to distract, derail and discredit all such thoughts.

Seems there are a touchy few who just will not have it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join