Julian Assange on CNN

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I was flipping through the channels just now, and was surprised to see WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on CNN. He was being interviewed on Erin Burnett Out Front.

Assange has written a book called Cypherpunks: Freedom and the future of the internet..which seemed to be the reason for the interview.

He is currently being granted asylum by Ecuador, to avoid extradition to Sweden for a sexual assault case.

Burnett was adamant about making an issue out of his Ecuadorian protection, which is one of the most restrictive countries in the world when it comes to free speech. (Ranked 104th in the Press Freedom Index

Assange continually brushed the question aside, and attempted to focus the conversation on the increasing surveillance state and the threats to democracy.

The primary theme of the interview is the dangers resulting from societies reliance on the internet.

He pointed out that it is now cheaper to extract all available data and store it permanently than it is to spy on a case by case basis.

Today, this global surveillance system continues to grow. It now collects so much digital detritus — e-mails, calls, text messages, cellphone location data and a catalog of computer viruses — that the N.S.A. is building a 1-million-square-foot facility in the Utah desert to store and process it.
NY Times- Giving In to the Surveillance State

In early August, WikiLeaks released another cluster of the 5 million e-mails it obtained in late 2011 from Stratfor, a private intelligence agency Barron’s has called “The Shadow CIA.”

We don’t need to know every detail about government spying to know that we are on the wrong track. We are living in an era in which the federal government claims it doesn’t need a warrant to read our e-mail, in which the FBI admits to storing personal information on hundreds of millions of law-abiding Americans in giant databases, just in case.
www.thenation.com...#

It seemed to me as if CNN brought him on to demonize him to some extent...the entire purpose being to frame him as a hypocrite for accepting asylum from Ecuador, illegally leaking information, and being paranoid. In the process, Assange schooled them..

Burnett seemed flustered and said something like, "I didn't agree to talk about the surveillance state."

It was a fun discussion to watch, and I for one will be reading the book in the near future.

It sounds like something out of Hollywood, but as of today, mass interception systems, built by Western intelligence contractors, including for ’political opponents’ are a reality. Today WikiLeaks began releasing a database of hundreds of documents from as many as 160 intelligence contractors in the mass surveillance industry.

When citizens overthrew the dictatorships in Egypt and Libya this year, they uncovered listening rooms where devices from Gamma corporation of the UK, Amesys of France, VASTech of South Africa and ZTE Corp of China monitored their every move online and on the phone. Surveillance companies like SS8 in the U.S., Hacking Team in Italy and Vupen in France manufacture viruses (Trojans) that hijack individual computers and phones (including iPhones, Blackberries and Androids), take over the device, record its every use, movement, and even the sights and sounds of the room it is in.

http://__._/
edit on 11/29/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Great find and thank you for sharing. I am a huge fan of Julian Assange and Bradley Manning. Julian Assange is very eloquent and his words flow from a mind that is switched on.

The interviewer came across as verbose and too self assured. Julian Assange commanded the interview and won me over with his direct speech and maintaining the topic - unlike the interviewer.

The interviewer was a little blown of course a couple of times especially when asking about his health. He isn't a pop star who reveals every detail of his life - he is obviously not egotistical and I know from reading other articles he has professional help with regard to his health.

Awesome man! I recommend this short interview for any fan of Julian Assange. Thanks again for sharing your find!!! He is right on target about what is happening - thank goodness he didn't let the interviewer turn the interview into mush!

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
ima expert haha that's funny. i feel sorry for ass he is a solid bloke just being left out in the cold by the world, not even his own country will support him.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Haha... my what a humorous interview.

That's all I really have to say.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Yeah, Assange's demeanor is great...the way he's constantly showing the book and pulling files out of everywhere.

Making sure everyone knows he know's what he's talking about.

It was really funny.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I didn't find it amusing at all,watching Erin try to hijack the conversation with her constant interrupting was freaking annoying.From the constant and totally off topic question about a lung infection to trying to somehow denigrate the mans character for accepting asylum in Ecuador.
How these people can with a straight face call themselves journalists is beyond me,I have seen better etiquette on the Jerry Springer show.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
George Orwell of course wrote in his increasingly famous novel 1984, that in times of universal deceit, telliing the truth becomes an act of revoilution..

Its hard to imagine any better description of how things have become, and anyone more appropriate to illustrate the point, than Julian Assange.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
For anyone interested, Assange's new book is based on these conversations, with his co-authors.

He is talking here with some other hacktivists about countering the growing surveillance state, and maintaining freedom, democracy, and privacy.

Worth the time to watch.

Titled ‘Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of the Internet,’ the book is partially based on RT’s ‘The World Tomorrow’ television series. In several episodes, Assange interviewed his co-authors, Jacob Applebaum of the US, Jeremie Zimmermann of France and Andy Müller-Maguhn of Germany.
rt.com...

OR Books- Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of the Internet
edit on 11/29/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: addition

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
exposing the crimes and hypocrisy of world governments gets you thrown into exile.

so you can conclude that supporting and furthering the crimes and hypocrisy of world governments will lead to wealth and prestige.

so now you know what it takes to be rich.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

Assange and Manning are two humanitarians and should be given a medal each instead of being locked up. They done their parts for us and what are we doing to support them ?

Without them, many more lives would have been killed.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by canDarian
I didn't find it amusing at all,watching Erin try to hijack the conversation with her constant interrupting was freaking annoying.From the constant and totally off topic question about a lung infection to trying to somehow denigrate the mans character for accepting asylum in Ecuador.
How these people can with a straight face call themselves journalists is beyond me,I have seen better etiquette on the Jerry Springer show.

Absolutely, and did you notice how often that (dont know what its called) strip of text across the bottom of the screen would annoyingly change, attempting to draw the viewers attention away from the discussion.
The way she behaved throughout that conversation is precisely what we see over here on the BBC every day, and the very reason I threw my television out.

If you havent done so already, FLAG THIS THREAD, people should see this stuff!

edit on 29-11-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Erin Burnett:

Former Goldman Sachs

Married to a Citi exec

Member CFR.

Says it all really....

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I admire his endurance throwing all the $#it thats going on in the world on our tables with the cables!
This man is the only man who dares to stand up , And warn us about it.

But most people are afraid of doing something like this even if they had the power to do so...!

I hope we will see him around enough to shape the world and let us be aware of what really is going on!

What would happen if this man became president? would he also be corrupted?
edit on 29-11-2012 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

GRRRRRR meant to include that in the OP.

Thanks for pointing it out, very relevant.

Didn't know the bit about the Citi exec hubby, though.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Erin Burnett:

Former Goldman Sachs

Married to a Citi exec

Member CFR.

Says it all really....

Ah, I believe you have observed a prime specimen of the North American Attack Harpy (Harpeia Americana) in its natural habitat. A terrifying creature. It overpowers its prey with a barrage of inane questions inducing paralysis or suicidal thoughts in the weaker willed.

Truly frightening.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I flip her show on when nothing else in on, because I think shes super good looking.

Which probably doubles the brain washing factor. At least.

What a seductress.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Manning is just another whipping-boy were they can express there frustration on. Were are all the other cable snitches that had to be there next to manning? Well Not ! because they are untouchable.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Julian Assange is a hero.

It makes me absolutely insane having to listen to people in the US blather on about how he's a traitor and blah blah blah. No. The governments are the traitors.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Yes I imagine that there are people who like to look at her pretty face. I think Julian Assange shows that he is a thinker - by not being influenced by the pretty face in front of him.

I think Julian Assange himself as quite attractive only he has a brain as well. If only we were all attracted to inner beauty and intellect but we have all been fed a steady diet of images via the media that influences us. I am influenced sad to say but I try to rise above the initial looks.

Julian Assange just goes to show why he has brought the American government to its knees. He is not afraid and uses his intelligence and intellect and has not become a product of the media brainwashing campaign. Bradley Manning has also shown no fear and had his freedom abused. Notice the pattern here?

Tell the truth - use your own intellect to work out what is going on - and your freedom is taken. The interviewer had the freedom to derail an intelligent interview but fortunately Julian Assange is intelligent enough to know how not to be drawn into the brainwashed program.

I am using my freedom to support Julian Assange and Bradley Manning for telling the truth. There really is a lot to the saying that one person can make a difference - one man has brought the American government to its knees - Julian Assange. One man has shown the American army cannot cope when their dirty secrets are made public - Bradley Manning.

Great thread this - hope the discussion opens right up and we get some thought provoking posts to read.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by canDarian

I didn't find it amusing at all,watching Erin try to hijack the conversation with her constant interrupting was freaking annoying

Ya she's just another puppet on strings.. I think that her earpieces were becoming to loud because the director was shouting to hard in her ear.

exclusive video

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join