It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 1988, the US was ranked "the best place to be born." Today it is #16. What happened?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chickensalad
Consider, in 1988 Ireland was ranked at 13th.

In 2012-13 the U.S. is ranked at 16th.

Does anybody remember the news coming out of Ireland at the time?

en.wikipedia.org...

That's northern Ireland though.
A part of the UK.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

27 here..
Isn't it technically YOUR generation that did this to us?

edit on 1-12-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
reply to post by solidguy

Trickle down economics.

Right, what makes a nation? Imaginary lines on a map or the people who live in said nation? What has changed since 1988? Yeah people don't like it when those questions are asked....

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Simple answer. In1988 you'd just had 8 years of Ronald Reagan. You then had 4 years of Bush. That's 12 years of tearing down infrastructure and putting money in stupid places. You then had 8 years of relative sanity under Clinton, but that was then followed by 8 years of total insanity by Dubya, a man who drove America off numerous cliffs. When my wife (who is from Oregon) heard about waterboarding, rendition and warrantless wiretapping she cried her heart out on my shoulder and came very close to becoming a British citizen.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I've been to Ireland and I loved it. Friendly people, great food, and yes there is unemployment, but we've got that here. Also I don't mind the rain. It rains often but not usually for very long.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by missed_gear

My ancestors probably left Ireland during the potato famine. I've been to Ireland. I know it's not perfect but I loved it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think the reason for this, is due to people not being as ignorant as they were in the 80's. The internet and telecommunications has spiked and Americans and the entire planet knows a lot more about others that it didn't back in those times. Being an American there is no other place I'd rather be just as I'm sure my fellow Canadians or any other country for that matter, would say the same about their respective country. Welcome to the communication age.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join