It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object In Sky Staying In Exact Same Position Near Moon For Hours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well, earlier today I was out, just as it was getting darker, 5 hours ago or so, I noticed what looked like a star that was in an interesting position. It was just, exactly diagonal from the moon, a certain distance, and I thought it looked interesting. My dad said he thought it was a planet.

Anyways, a couple of hours later I look and see that the object is still in the EXACT same position relative to the moon. A few hours later, just a bit ago, I decide to go look again, plus look at the full moon anyways. It is still in the EXACT same position. I just don't remember seeing that before, and couldn't find information in a quick google search. Maybe it's something obvious, maybe it's something weird, I don't really know. Just wanted to post about it and get feedback.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

Jupiter.

If you liked that. Look up Dec 5th over Giza.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Which state are you in?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I saw it too,figured it was something celestial.
second line

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Jupiter.

Ahh, interesting.

And I'm from Florida.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheJourney

Jupiter.

Ahh, interesting.

And I'm from Florida.

Then it is definitely jupiter.

I see it right now to
+ google sky says its jupiter to
edit on 11/28/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Was it diagonal and to the left? Was there something horizontal and to the right of the moon as well?

Did the moon look like the center of a clock, where one star looked to be pointing between 11 and 12 (hour hand) and the other pointing between 5 and 10 (minute hand)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Anyways, a couple of hours later I look and see that the object is still in the EXACT same position relative to the moon. A few hours later, just a bit ago, I decide to go look again, plus look at the full moon anyways. It is still in the EXACT same position.

Although a few people have already mentioned that it is Jupiter, if you take accurate measurements you'll see that the relative positions between the two objects do change ever so slightly as time goes by.
The moon does shift its position relative to background stars and planets by about (from memory) 12 degrees per day*, so half a degree (or one diameter of the moon) per hour.

Edit - the internet says 13.3 degrees per day relative to background stars and planets.

edit on 28-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i seen it exactly as you
for hours,
but interesting is im in a half across planet
in croatia

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Is that the bright star coming up in the east.... I mean object. I'm in SE US.

What is the brightest thing because I thought Venus had made it's way back around again but thought it might be Jupiter. Venus is due around again too though... I think.

Which one is the brightest one up there right now?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I hadnt heard of that, so I did look it up, and it turns out to be not true.

The image floating around the net that accompanys it could actually never be true under any circumstances anyway since the relative brightnesses of the objects is so massively different. Mercury is so dim and hard to see compared to Venus, that any amateur astronomer could dismiss that image out of hand even without needing to check any numbers.

link

edit on 28-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

fair enough.

there will still be an epic alignment of the three bodies on the 5th

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I gaze at the moon and stars for at least a few minutes every night when I let my dog out. I was driving home on the highway tonight and it was dark out and I noticed this bright object to the left of the moon lined up horizontally as well. I'm from the east coast of Canada.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Well, earlier today I was out, just as it was getting darker, 5 hours ago or so, I noticed what looked like a star that was in an interesting position. It was just, exactly diagonal from the moon, a certain distance, and I thought it looked interesting. My dad said he thought it was a planet.

Anyways, a couple of hours later I look and see that the object is still in the EXACT same position relative to the moon. A few hours later, just a bit ago, I decide to go look again, plus look at the full moon anyways. It is still in the EXACT same position. I just don't remember seeing that before, and couldn't find information in a quick google search. Maybe it's something obvious, maybe it's something weird, I don't really know. Just wanted to post about it and get feedback.

Thought you would like a screen shot.
edit on 11/28/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Using one of my favorite iPhone apps, "Sky Map", I was able to see Jupiter in the position you were talking about. I noticed it a few hours ago when I was out with my family eating.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I’m not far from Pope Air Force base, I thought it was a plane at first; but after researching I found it to be Jupiter. It was very bright and I thought it was kind of odd, myself… but it is what it is.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Jupiter.

What exactly are we supposed to see?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
For future reference, you can download Stellarium for FREE and it'll let you know what's what in the sky.
Stellaruim.org

Additionally, if you've a smart phone, there's a number of free astronomy apps available if you look for them that will allow you to point your phone at whatever light in the sky you see, and the app will tell you what it is.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Funny you mention this as I saw it today here in the UK.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join