Minimalist Survival.. YES It is Necessary

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That is why we have opinions

I try and make it clear to everyone, that survival for everyone is a very personal thing

What works for me, may not work for you or someone else..

I understand what you are saying, however FOR ME, I carry at least 2 knives in my pockets and find them far more useful that the weight of a multi-tool.. My Personal Opinion again

I was just sitting here trying to think if I have ever used a multi-tool in any situation/class I have ever attended and I think one time in Korea in Mountain Warfare School I used the Phillips Head Screw Driver to loosen a screw on a rope retainer ...

That is my mantra friends.. If I carry something long enough, never use it, can not think of a life threatening situation where it would save my life, I soon no longer carry it

A pocket knife I have used thousands of times.. A screw driver? Once in 35 years of survival training

So FOR ME, I stress that, A Multi-Tool is unnecessary weight

Semper

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I totally respect your opinion, and if forced to choose between the two, I would still probably go with my multi-tool.

Why?

Nowadays we are rarely far from man-made items. Which are usually fashioned together with screws, nuts& bolts or rivets. (If it's welded, no knife will work.) Many multi-tools come with an additional pocket on the sheath that carry additional tools as well. All in in all, it doesn't weigh much and fits comfortablely on your belt.

With my Gerber I can put together all sorts of items to make life more comfortable in a survival situation. I've used mine during SERE while in the Army and use a newer updated Gerber on a daily basis. The plier option alone is invaluable.

The scissors on my Gerber are used weekly to trim my nose hairs.
Gotta remember to keep your personnal hygiene up as well.

TMI?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I agree that I use pliers all the time. That's why I carry a small/light pair of needle-nose pliers. Multi-tool pliers are junk, in my experience. I've broken every set of pliers on every multi-tool I've ever had. The screw-driver shafts are too short to be of any use in most cases. On top of that, the saw on multi-tools are a joke. Who uses a multi-tool saw? Who needs three blades on a multi-tool? Why do they do that?

I agree that they are, in most cases, not worth the weight. Not because they are particularly heavy, but because the function of their parts is absolutely lacking.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

While I do agree that Multi-tools lack strength, they do make up for it if you have patience.

I have broke many over the years...mainly due to getting frustrated and over exterting their limits. But I have broke quite a few knifes as well doing the same thing.

The key is to breath deep and calm yourself. But there are times when you must realize that regardless of what tool you have...if it ain't working...it's time to move on.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I actually had a bit of a revelation reading Semper's opinion on multitools.
I have only used the pliers to take food off the fire.
Why bother when I could just grab a handful of leaves and make nature's oven mitt.
I have done this before when I forgot my multitool and was just fine without it.

I am thinking it IS useless weight and i can adapt without "needing" it.

edit on 29-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
One is none, two is one.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Multitool can be used for:
Cutting, Stripping, shaping, crimping wire and sheet metal
Disassembling firearms - removing screws, drifting pins, adjusting sights / taking apart junked appliances
Repairing bikes, atvs, motorcycles, trucks, trailers
Repairing portable electronics - walkie talkies, radios, etc
Rough shaping and sharpening of knife blades with the file
Snipping vegetation
Drilling small holes in wood using the screwdriver to create hanger loops etc.

I've used mine plenty of times in the woods and never leave home without it.
It's handy for making snares out of old electric guitar strings.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I must apoligize for pulling this off topic. The Knife vs. Multi-tool subject. IMHO both are must haves.

And you did show the multi-tool in your minimulist pack after all, along with another folding blade.

Kudos to you for making us think.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If I had to bug out with just one knife, I'd make sure I had my Leatherman Super Tool in the pouch alongside a sharpening stone. Oh, and two knives.

For me, I'd think it worth the extra weight for all the things it has on it.

My own opinion.

Course my biggest problem would be deciding which knives to actually choose...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
If I had to bug out with just one knife, I'd make sure I had my Leatherman Super Tool in the pouch alongside a sharpening stone. Oh, and two knives.

Um...That's three knives.

You have to decide....NOW!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Two knives and a multi-tool! Not the same.

Don't start me on knives, I'll be here all day... I'm a total blade bore.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I own 14 different knives...don't get ME started.
I have one thats homemade out of a file,to file steel but is now a very cool knife.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Two knives and a multi-tool! Not the same.

Don't start me on knives, I'll be here all day... I'm a total blade bore.

Well, a blade is the same as a knife in my opinion...the strength of the blade depends upon the tine. But, the question I ask of you is...

If you only had one choice, one option. Which would you choose?

I've already made mine. The multi-tool.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I choose the Kabar because its top heavy and can chop.
I will not discount a multitool and pretend it has no uses though.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Rather boring answer but depends on the situation probably.

Here in the UK we've not got all the same landscapes as the US have, and proper woodland etc is hard to come by, so in my case I'd probably grab the Leatherman Supertool. It has a decent locking blade on it and other useful stuff which would be more useful in urban sort of survival scenarios.

However, if I was somewhere with more woodland and a decent amount of game etc I'd take a fixed blade. Probably one of my customs. Or one of my SOGs. Or one of my Benchmades. Or one of my Bucks. Or the one that I made.

edit on 29-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

However, if I was somewhere with more woodland and a decent amount of game etc I'd take a fixed blade. Probably one of my customs. Or one of my SOGs. Or one of my Benchmades. Or one of my Bucks. Or the one that I made.

edit on 29-11-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

Situation and location dictates your survival when the SHTF/TEOTWAWKI event occurs. I carry a fixed blade and my gerber at all times...so maybe I'm set, or not.

A good blade/multi-tool will be indispensible if you're at work, shopping etc when such a event happens. My fixed is a BenchMade and I swear by it.
But my Gerber is always right alongside. And it seems no one is the wiser that I have these items on me, even though I carry them openly. They just seem to ignore the sheaths.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Yet here in the UK we'd be arrested for carrying them without a 'good reason'. Which does affect my choice sadly.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Thank Gawd my ancestors moved from Scotland.

Though to be truthful, I do love the auld sod...though I hope I am never there if "The Event" were to occur. I would be outta my element.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

...though I hope I am never there if "The Event" were to occur. I would be outta my element.

If you are, and you're near Yorkshire, pop over for a brew.

Bring guns.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I would if I could.

I visit the UK roughly every four to five years. I have relatives that live in the Fort William and Crieff areas and a bud that lives in Ippswitch.

After a period of time, I usually can't wait to get home so I can relax.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join