It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer idiot needs advice, tips, tricks for building a website and sales page.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Yes it would work with any type of website but from looking through it a lot of the stuff can be done for free with google products like google analytics

www.google.co.uk...

There you go again, being so helpful!

What if I want a special Intra-net type login to a type of community environment containing a moderated discussion forum, or just a back-office environment for my special customers, participants and affiliate marketers/resellers?

Could I do that too?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

edit on 28-11-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Install Kunena Forum for Joomla!

www.kunena.org...

Takes about 30 seconds, set up your forum categories and your away

Heres the forum in action :

www.kunena.org...

Its fully featured with admin controls, banning, avatars, quotes, embed pics youtube vids etc all out of the box

Oh did I mention its freeeeeee...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Heres a website using kunena forum

www.playshakespeare.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Um, could I create that community space through a user login portal?

Also, can I get at the HTML if I want to or with Joomla CMS is that even neccessary?

And COULD I move the whole thing later if I wanted to?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think the COOLER would be the one that has the most users - WordPress. More users means there will be more modules and more documentation. To make it even more attractive, you will have to find a free template for the CMS that matches what you consider to be cool.

If you want to move your site here is what you have to consider:

1. Don't let the hosting company control your domain registration. Register it yourself through Internet Solutions or another registrar of your choice. Fill out the registration yourself with you as the registrar and technical contact. Some hosting companies will hold your domain hostage if you decide to move and this avoids that possibility.

2. WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal are all transferable to another hosting company. I suggest that you put your site on a linux server with cPanel as the control panel. This way you can easily move your site to another provider with the same operation system and control panel software.

3. MAKE BACKUPS. Don't ever trust your provider with YOUR data. Most popular control panels have a way for you to make a local copy of your site in a tar/gzip file.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by earthalien50

Wordpress is mostly used for blogs, Joomla has over 10,000 extension/module/plugins

extensions.joomla.org...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Um, could I create that community space through a user login portal?

Also, can I get at the HTML if I want to or with Joomla CMS is that even neccessary?

And COULD I move the whole thing later if I wanted to?

Users can login/register through your site or through the forum.

You have full access to the HTML but you dont need it.

You can move your site to any host at any time.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthalien50
3. Use a Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress, Joomla or Drupal. These are the most popular CMS scripts.
4. I personally suggest that you use WordPress, the most popular. You will be able to find plenty of documentation and modules to do whatever you need.
5. Learn fundamental programs like HTML, CSS, and some photoshop or a similar program.

In summary, find a host, get a domain for about $10/yr, set up your CMS, learn the programs, and pay about $7/month.

I like the look of Joomla's egalitarian community environment and support structure and that it's open source.

Basically I want a site I can continually add and alter content, without it appearing to be a cheap, inexpensive blog.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I suggest that you put your site on a linux server with cPanel as the control panel. This way you can easily move your site to another provider with the same operation system and control panel software.

3. MAKE BACKUPS. Don't ever trust your provider with YOUR data. Most popular control panels have a way for you to make a local copy of your site in a tar/gzip file.

That's good advice, but do I even need a server location? Isn't there a cloud solution with redundant backup? I thought it would be a case such that no one will be able to point at any particular machine and say that "it's in there".

edit on 28-11-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yootheme do some really good Joomla templates:

www.yootheme.com...

Use the drop down at the top to browse them

The template called "Subway" is cool looks like Windows 8

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Wordpress is mostly used for blogs, Joomla has over 10,000 extension/module/plugins

extensions.joomla.org...

I think I'm sold.

What about Drupal? Just checking..

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

www.yootheme.com...

I can't find that "Subway" can you point it out, or is that the page we were looking at?

Edit - found it!

Free templates and themes too! Wow!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Joomla, WordPress and Drupal are all very popular. Before you decide, check this article out Drupal vs. Joomla vs. WordPress. No matter which one you choose, it will be able to do whatever you need for free.

You can add to your changes and new pages in your CMS control panel in a web browser.

How the website will look depends upon the template you choose. There are thousands for free and there are others that cost you. I suggest getting a template that is made for your CMS specifically.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Wordpress and Drupal are both good but I don't think they have the diversity that Joomla offers, in the last 3 years Joomla has gone strength to strength and the new Joomla 3.0 mobile API is only making it even better.

www.joomla.org...

And BTW rochen host are the official hosts of the joomla.org website, their servers are optimized for Joomla and you can upgrade to faster servers if you need to in the future without having to move your site, starter hosting is $8.95 a month plus they have 1 click installs to install Joomla in seconds after you sign up

www.rochenhost.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

www.yootheme.com...

I can't find that "Subway" can you point it out, or is that the page we were looking at?

Edit - found it!

Free templates and themes too! Wow!

Yootheme templates are premium (you have to buy them) but you can find free templates too just google it

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

That's good advice, but do I even need a server location? Isn't there a cloud solution with redundant backup? I thought it would be a case such that no one will be able to point at any particular machine and say that "it's in there".

It is wise to keep your own data locally. There are many reasons to do this. If you have an issue with your provider, they can hold your data hostage or just immediately terminate you: It's in everyone's agreement. Also, cloud computing does not mean that they guarantee your data 100%.
edit on 11/28/2012 by earthalien50 because:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

What about making the website user-friendly for smartphones - how do I incorporate that aspect?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm interested to know what you were going to say there..

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Joomla, WordPress and Drupal are all very popular. Before you decide, check this article out Drupal vs. Joomla vs. WordPress. No matter which one you choose, it will be able to do whatever you need for free.

Good article, thanks. I think I'm soled on Joomla, but I still have time to evaluate and ponder.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join