Smokers more likely to suffer mental decline, study finds

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Source

well I'm over 50, yea. I have been smoking right handed since what 13 [snip].. I should be a vegitable. I dont know - but I sure can say at 52 my lungs are not what they use to be... but mental - I dont know which is better asleep or awake and what that means in brain function - there is more angles to think about being awake - so this is probably po po ...

People who smoke over the age of 50 are more likely to suffer forgetfulness, poor organisation and slower thinking, according to new research. Smoking not only causes lung disease and health problems, but is also linked with mental decline such as forgetfulness and slower thinking, new research has shown.
For those over 50, smoking can lead to accelerated decline in brain function, with those enjoying cigarettes showing poorer scores on memory tests than non-smokers.
Those who smoke consistently were found to have a decline in their planning skills and mental ability in tests over four years, with many finding they had trouble remembering common words.
Others had difficulty organising daily tasks, or were shown to be becoming more forgetful.
Scientists working on the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (Elsa) studied 8,000 older adults to measure the effect of smoking.
edit on 28-11-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Dang. That's a bummer...now I really need a smoke while I think about this.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
According to the article, all of the following causes mental decline...

smoking
high blood pressure
overweight

Let's see, why do most people smoke, have high blood pressure or are overweight to begin with?

Stress?!

No wonder they claim that 1 out of every 3 people over the age of 65 will develop dementia!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

Ouch

Well it's not like us smokers thought it was good for our health, do we?

I'll try to quit someday, but posting and smoking go so well together

SS

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Well it's not like us smokers thought it was good for our health, do we?

Now that most people find that they'll be working up until the day they die, they may be looking for a quicker way out!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

Government propaganda,they've tried the not being able to get an erection lie and shown scary photos made smokers stand in the rain and made shops hide the dreaded weed.I'm looking forward to the total ban which will allow a far more competitive black market to grow and relaunch piracy as an occupation. Remember the TV detector vans they never existed.
Our government ministers are mostly stupid people whom think they know best,a bit like a aunt with dementia.Its ironic that one of the only buildings where you can still smoke is houses of parliment.DO AS WE SAY NOT AS WE DO.These parasites are supposed to represent us the people who elected them

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Can you please defend your stance on why smoking and posting go so well together? See bc I post just fine without a cigarette in my hand and I don't think there could be any better way to post but since you are here making this claim then might as well defend it, no?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Who pays these scientists, and where do I sign up for some free money?

What are lungs for? Oxygen? Ohhh, oxygen... To the brain? So like, smoke... Means lack of oxygen... To the *brain*?

Once again thank God for Scientists!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88

Can you please defend your stance on why smoking and posting go so well together? See bc I post just fine without a cigarette in my hand and I don't think there could be any better way to post but since you are here making this claim then might as well defend it, no?

Since you sound like a non smoker you would never understand it.

Thats all there is to it, its a satisfaction thing
edit on 28-11-2012 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Or he could not waste time hand-feeding you smokers' info.... And you could just pick up the addiction yourself, and then understand what he means.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingDoey

Originally posted by conspiracy88

Since you sound like a non smoker you would never understand it.

Thats all there is to it, its a satisfaction thing
edit on 28-11-2012 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

Yep. Just like reading the morning newspaper over a cup of coffee. Just not the same without it.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Been seeing these reports pop up more and more these past few months. Im thinking we are going to see the government raise taxes on smokes again.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

Probably. They're going to need all of the help they can get to implement Obamacare and keep it going!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
If your a smoker and you believe anything the government says and or the mainstream media says then that statement would be true. But most of us smokers don't believe the BS the government comes out with. So that claim is false!

Why don't they come out with a proven fact. Such as people drinking Fluoridated Water, Aspartame and taking Vaccines are more likely to suffer mental decline!!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Einstein smoked a pipe. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected his brain.

I think this is more Tobacco Police BS.

new topics
top topics

join