It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed modifications to the M1 Abrams for Urban Operations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Nice, very nice indeed. But can you give us more info then just a picture?

Out,
Russian

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
Nice, very nice indeed. But can you give us more info then just a picture?

Out,
Russian

Sorry that's all I've got at the moment, hopefully I'll have some more shortly.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Ok thanks. I hope to read up on it some more.

Out,
Russian

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Russian]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What are the claymores for? Blowing up whoever gets to close? Or just a detachable kind of thing?

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Cool find mad scientist
I like the claymore ideal anyone gets close to the sides of the tank and those things go off there in for a world of hurt.

I want to see a robot just for these types of urban fighting. Something much smaller but still with good armour. Main weapon a automated mini gun. I mean how useful is a 120 cannon when your fighting people on foot with AKs and RPGs.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Cool find mad scientist
I like the claymore ideal anyone gets close to the sides of the tank and those things go off there in for a world of hurt.

I want to see a robot just for these types of urban fighting. Something much smaller but still with good armour. Main weapon a automated mini gun. I mean how useful is a 120 cannon when your fighting people on foot with AKs and RPGs.

wouldnt claymore kill its own soldiers as well?
well i was in bosnia during wartime and saw mudjahedins packed with about 30kg of explosives just throw them selves on m-84,tank was ripped in half,i think that there isnt protection for tanks in urban warfare right now ,just good old infantry

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by viking27

well i was in bosnia during wartime and saw mudjahedins packed with about 30kg of explosives just throw them selves on m-84,tank was ripped in half,i think that there isnt protection for tanks in urban warfare right now ,just good old infantry

there is very little or nothing (i think) can penetrate chobram armour. sure its got its weak spots but this abrahms would be useful

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I assume the Brits will be taking a few Challenger 2's into Baghdad with their redeployment. It will be interesting to see how they fair against more intensive attacks.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
I assume the Brits will be taking a few Challenger 2's into Baghdad with their redeployment. It will be interesting to see how they fair against more intensive attacks.

well nothing short of several DU rounds is going to hurt the chally 2.
he he best armoured tank around.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

I heard on the news that no Challenger 2's were going to be redeployed to aid 'Black Watch'. Something to do with them not being essential to the missions the troops will be on.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

I heard on the news that no Challenger 2's were going to be redeployed to aid 'Black Watch'. Something to do with them not being essential to the missions the troops will be on.

yeah if they needed stuff they probably use the warrior's they've got but right now i think thier just doing it on foot.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
the warriors are protected by chobham armour as well... though I think it's an older variant similar to the m1a1/2

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Other than the fact that its a pretty picture Mad Scientist, I am failing to find any type real, factual evidences or sourcings stating that this type modification is under advisement or a proposal or even up for consideration.

Your sourcings for this picture and what you assert is what, exactly?

seekerof

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The thing about a claymoure is that they are directional mines. Claymores projects the steel balls in a fan-shaped, 60-degree horizontal arc. The forward danger radius extends to about 250 meters while the backblast area is unsafe 16 meters to the rear and sides of the mine.

So as long as you dont set them up backwards you are ok. Plus they are clearly marked Front Towards enemy in big letters.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
the abrams was never made or meant to be used in urban combat..so the real question ..is how, do you prevent it from rolling over a 500lb bomb buried under a roadway and set of by remote or pressure?? maybe some type of radio jammer?? as for the pressure issue...wings maybe

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
the abrams was never made or meant to be used in urban combat..so the real question ..is how, do you prevent it from rolling over a 500lb bomb buried under a roadway and set of by remote or pressure?? maybe some type of radio jammer?? as for the pressure issue...wings maybe

good point,in urban war there are endless possibilities to destroy tank

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

there is very little or nothing (i think) can penetrate chobram armour. sure its got its weak spots but this abrahms would be useful

mate the 30kg of explosive doesnt need to penetrate armour, it would just rip the turet of tenks body

[edit on 23-10-2004 by viking27]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   

mate the 30kg of explosive doesnt need to penetrate armour, it would just rip the turet of tenks body

yeah i suppose but would the abrahms turret be able to take that?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

yeah i suppose but would the abrahms turret be able to take that?

Unless the charge exploded underneath the barrel or turret, I doubt it would rip the turret off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join