It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain Supports Patriot Missiles in Turkey Aimed at Syria

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Who cares who is firing, they are being fired on, they should be protected.

Your basically agreeing with John McCain that we should be supporting the fighters in Syria then.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

A NATO-member has all rights to call any other member to help them protect themselves.

Seems like your missing the point, if a NATO member has all rights to call any other member to help them protect themselves by placing Patriot Missiles in Turkey Aimed at Syria and Russia See's this as a threat. I wonder how would Russia respond you think?

Just sit there doing nothing by talking?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Oh for crying out loud.

So what McCain aint no one special or has any power to send missiles anywhere.

Then the Patriiot missile system is for defensive purposes people really do need to get it that the patriots the objectg of so much "disgust" are not a first strike weapon,.

They neither have the range nor payload to do anything Turkey should not even have patriot missiles.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Who cares who is firing, they are being fired on, they should be protected.

Your basically agreeing with John McCain that we should be supporting the fighters in Syria then.

No, you're missing the point because you are ignorant and wish to remain so. IF what you suggest is true and the rebels are firing at Turkey this helps Assad. Learn what the Patriot system does. Then come back feeling foolish.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

A NATO-member has all rights to call any other member to help them protect themselves.

Seems like your missing the point, if a NATO member has all rights to call any other member to help them protect themselves by placing Patriot Missiles in Turkey Aimed at Syria and Russia See's this as a threat. I wonder how would Russia respond you think?

Now you are fear mongering as well as speaking from ignorance. Russia could not possibly care less. In fact, if your assumptions on who is firing is correct Russia would LOVE this. If your assumptions are wrong, Russia would still love this.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Well according to you from 4 months ago Russia has already supplied Syria...

post by Agent_USA_Supporter

If you were paying attention here on ATS as a member Russia also had canceled the advanced SAMs to Iran, Sryia already has the advanced SAMs that they got from Russia.

So by your logic Syria can have defensive missiles but Turkey cant.

Whats the word I'm looking for?
edit on 28-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
So when will Turkey launch its "defensive" missiles at Syria?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Patriot Missiles are defensive, not offensive.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

So.. What country are you talking about right now? Russia? Syria? Turkey?

We should look at them departed from each other:

Turkey wants to have PATRIOTs, as they feel threatened. If these rockets are used to shoot down airplanes, there should be a good cause to be present - as it won't be turkish soldiers using those PATRIOTs.

Russia: is not threatened by PATRIOTS, as long as their pilots are obeying orders to land their aircrafts for checkup about illegal goods (like heavy weaponry or whatnot).

Syria: correct me if I am wrong, but the complete air-force is still in the hands of Abbas, right? So, those shouldn't come close to the border. In fact, Syria shot down a turkish military aircraft down on June, 22nd 2012. Maybe the Turkish are still a little angry about that. In fact, there are none military actions taken from the Syrian parts to require the installation of PATRIOTs.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
My understanding is that Turkey, as a NATO member, has the right to request the Patriot missile defense system.

It is also my understanding that if McCain supports this it is more than likely the wrong thing to do.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why all the negative reaction towards a defensive weapons system? I mean after all the russians and chinese are also supplying the syrians with offensive weapons. Just because US is supporting a defense mechanism? Common folks. Lets be real. Stop the Mccain bashing and get with the program. Either way it doesn't really matter what you and I think or feel about the situation. It is definitely escalating in the ME and right now is not the time for Idealism.

LINK

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you angry at McCain?
Patriot Missiles?
Turkey?

Patriot Missles made of turkey?

???

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Patriot Missiles are defensive, not offensive.

I beg to differ sir...I think all missiles are "OFFENSIVE" just not all are used for offense.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I beg to differ since some people are having a problem as to understanding what the patriot defense missile system is:

This might help but I am not holding my breath.

science.howstuffworks.com...
edit on 28-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

reply posted on 28-11-2012 @ 12:00 PM by BrokenAngelWings33

I think all missiles are "OFFENSIVE"

Yes indeed. I can remember as a small boy laying many assaults upon my hapless army men with my mighty mini missile launcher. After a while I became obsessed with dispatching these fools in a more expedient manner. It was then that there was thrust forcibly upon my enemy, the Mighty Mega Missile. It was truly shock and awe the way they cowered in disbelief, mouths gaping wide as they stared transfixed upon its glistening surface. The mighty doom weapon laid many to waste in one blow as they were covered in the fiery wrath again and again until they lay pulverized in a steaming pile of war fog. Then mom hollered, and we all cleaned up, packed up, and went to bed – until next time. Now where’d I put that damn cigar?…

OT: McCain supporting this action? Wow no surprise and after US delegates get killed abroad people hollering about that I would suggest we don't underestimate our (the US) interest in supporting Turkey...just saying

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Too bad no one will read it. ATS is disgusting in its ignorance, people jump on the bandwagon with an idea like this because they hate McCain. Look back a week at all the anti Israel threads and the outrage over 150 dead Palestinians, but no one here sheds a tear for some 70,000 civilian casualties in Syria. Why? Where are all the posts calling for Assad to halt his war? Maybe if he were to suddenly declare himself a Zionist, people here would be all over the topic. So keep faulting McCain for wanting to protect an ally, call him a war monger because he demands we do more than cluck our tongues at Assad. Threads like this truly show what a sad joke this board is.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The last time I checked, John McCain was still wiping his elbow, after he took a dump.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Did the pro-missile people not read the article? McCain is war mongering. And trying to turn Syria into a Libya

Arizona Sen. John McCain has endorsed setting up Patriot missile batteries to enforce a no-fly zone in Syria, which the Republican believes will be critical to quell the violence that has raged in the war-torn country for more than 20 months.

Installing Patriot missiles in neighboring Turkey could provide rebels with the infrastructure they need to topple Bashar al-Assad's regime, says McCain, who is the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee and a retired Navy fighter pilot.

"Pilots are not going to fly into certain death. I don't care how brave they are," he says. "You shoot down one or two of them, and they're not going to fly there again. They may like Bashar al-Assad, but they like to live a little more."

Syrian rebels have called on NATO to establish and enforce a no-fly zone, a tactic that helped opposition fighters in Libya. Some countries worry this could drag them into the Syrian conflict, but McCain says this can be accomplished without "boots on the ground."

"I guarantee you, the first Syrian aircraft we shot down, that would be the last one to fly over a no-fly zone," he says.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

"I say that Israel is a terrorist state, and its acts are terrorist acts."

That unequivocal denouncement of Israel by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday, made before a conference of the Eurasian Islamic Council meeting in Istanbul, will undoubtedly be shared by many Muslims, while disconcerting Western countries, including the pro-Israel government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Turkey not so happy with Israel?

IAI to supply spy aircraft systems to Turkey - report [Globes, Tel Aviv, Israel]

Israel supporting Turkey

TAI to sell Anka UAVs to Egypt

Turkey supporting Egypt

Israel Aerospace Industries Blocking Multi-Million Russia Drone Deal

Now Israel backing out of russia deal...

uslan Pukhov, director of the Moscow research institute the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies, was quoted last week in Western news reports as saying that Russia stands to buy $12 billion worth of arms from European and Israeli firms, including IAI.IAI management declined to comment.

So yeah... Russia is becoming suspect, the US is calling for investigations and information from Israel about it's arms trades. There's most likely going to be some strong stains on our relationship and I don't believe that the US is turning back.

Then not to forget about Anatoly Serdyukov, and where he stands today... which may just have something to do with these contracts found in the link. He wanted to go one direction, becoming leaner, stronger and more advanced. Now their going the other way, keeping up the numbers, purchasing old tech and not gaining any real ground. Now, if the US starts supporting initiatives such as Turkey, destroying military contacts, embargoes on Russia' allied economic interests and so forth... yeah, it's going to keep adding up until the kettle spills over.

www.defence.pk...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So Turkey needs the Patriot system for a few stray mortar shells?If Turkey were being pummelled with missiles I'd say sure but if and until that time Application denied.I've always questioned Turkeys NATO membership and their motives for joining.In light of the Turkish hostility toward Israel recently I'd vote a big no go.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join