It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Top 10 Cinematic Sword Fights

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Very impressive, they have some cool things in that place. The little knife gun is interesting, it looks like its missing the barrel though, also it looks like it can be used as brass knuckles if you flip it around. That hall with all the swords and weapons on the wall is pretty nuts how are you supposed to even get up there to get a better view? All that samurai gear looks awesome, I like the one with the huge horns on the helmet. And I seen one of those Kora swords before but only in pictures, it looks really wicked but I don't think its all that effective, it looks like its more of a slashing/bashing weapon, I mean how are you supposed to stab a fool if its got no sharp pointy end?

All very cool and all, but now you got me interested and questioning. So next time please try to take some pictures of things that are encased behind some really shiny and reflective glass cases. That or some close up pictures of those super polished swords and armors, there should be a couple around that place no doubt. Oh and no far away angled shots either, you know to get a more straighter and better view of the craftsmanship involved.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

Very impressive, they have some cool things in that place. The little knife gun is interesting, it looks like its missing the barrel though, also it looks like it can be used as brass knuckles if you flip it around. That hall with all the swords and weapons on the wall is pretty nuts how are you supposed to even get up there to get a better view?

The stairs run around the tower, and if you look at the photos...there are circular windows on each level that allow you to view the weapons...

But also, at the base, at ground level, there is a viewing mirror...which enables you to view them en masse without cricking your neck...

All that samurai gear looks awesome, I like the one with the huge horns on the helmet. And I seen one of those Kora swords before but only in pictures, it looks really wicked but I don't think its all that effective, it looks like its more of a slashing/bashing weapon, I mean how are you supposed to stab a fool if its got no sharp pointy end?

Here's another one that better shows the cutting edge...

...but yeah, it is basically a hacking, slashing and smashing weapon, and therefore, ideally suited to the way in which they fought...there is not much stabbing involved in battling itself, unless for a duel...or for display purposes at festivities no fancy skills are even required, just the strength to stove in your opponents head, or lop off their limbs. Which is why, once cavalry became a key feature, all that most foot soldiers were issued with was a halberd or pike to dismount the horsemen and then bash them before they gained their feet again. No fancy sword work, like that displayed in the movies, ever took place. Brute force was what won the day.

All very cool and all, but now you got me interested and questioning. So next time please try to take some pictures of things that are encased behind some really shiny and reflective glass cases. That or some close up pictures of those super polished swords and armors, there should be a couple around that place no doubt. Oh and no far away angled shots either, you know to get a more straighter and better view of the craftsmanship involved.

Do you know, I was looking through some photos I took at the British Museum, and those glass cases are a pain the neck, especially using a flash (which you're not allowed to at the Armouries, hence the grainy pictures) because they are not kept as clean and smear free as they should be...you end up with photos that look as though someone has wiped their nose over it...

...such as...

So I usually avoid such close ups...and you wouldn't find me reflected...as I have no reflection, nor do I show up in photographs for that matter. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I am just a figment of my own imagination.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

OMG lady you are freaking scary. But in a good way.

Now you got me wondering if your but a figment of my imagination as well? However I doubt it as my imagination is not that well put together, or that cohesive...In conclusion...You may actually be real withing a probability of 75%. That or you may be a vampire hence the no reflection.

And not only that, but I think whats really going on is that you just possibly may not be all that great with a camera, in fact you may suck at using a camera. That or the camera your using must not be all that good. Only one way to find out, and that is---> Take a picture of the camera using the camera in a mirror then post it here, and I am sure somebody will be able to tell you what exactly is wrong with it.

But anyways to get back on subject. Lazy ass freaking museum keeper's don't they ever clean those glass cases? It's a tragedy I tell you.
But I suspect the real culprit is that nobody ever reads the signs that say, don't touch the glass case please. Or if they don't have such signs put up already, then it would be a waste of time to put them up as nobody would read them.

edit on 4-2-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Since more than one camera has been involved in the taking of the photos that I have posted, I think that we can conclude that I am # at photography
But, I'm a happy snapper, so who gives one

To return to the actual topic, which isn't the cleanliness of museum display cases...

Let's hear it for the ladies...

On the scale of what constitutes a scary lady...I don't think I shall even attempt to compete with those women...

...this is far more my style...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Oh no your much more scarier then the women in those vids and not because of swords. But I suppose I wont be getting a picture of you, oh well don't worry I totally like will stop with that stuff. And yet you change the subject back on to the subject, of this thread that is.

And so more sword fights.

I have absolutely no clue what the hell is happening in this movie, it makes about as much sense as a penguin chilling on top of a tree. But from this clip I know one thing, that one thing being I got to watch it.

Though something like this would probably be more your type of movie, its even got ninjas in it, however there not very good at being ninja.

And just for the heck of if, more sword fights.

I never thought of it before, but more females should be pirates, they may not be all that great at sword fighting but they would have the distracting your opponent part down to an art.

It was all just a dream.

edit on 5-2-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I have absolutely no clue what the hell is happening in this movie, it makes about as much sense as a penguin chilling on top of a tree. But from this clip I know one thing, that one thing being I got to watch it.

That looks very much as though it's a Japanese interpretation of 'Highlander'...and I think I may have to watch that one too.

I never thought of it before, but more females should be pirates, they may not be all that great at sword fighting but they would have the distracting your opponent part down to an art.

You'd be surprised just how many women did take up piracy, and were pretty handy with the sword, however, had they like that lady, waltzed around with their fun bags hanging out, they wouldn't have faired particularly well, most of the women that took up piracy that I've read of, disguised themselves as men for the duration of their careers...but one or two, when it came to the crunch, did flash their boobs to win a duel.

Anyway, you have said the magic word and for that you get a photo...

It's not particularly up to date admittedly, but it is me

On the days when I believe in such things, I figure that in a past life I was Mary Read...

Mary Read was born at Plymouth, England, about 1690. Her mother's husband was a sea-faring man who left on a long voyage and was never heard from again. He'd left his wife pregnant and she gave birth to a sickly male child who died soon after the illegitimate birth of his half-sister, Mary. The mother waited years for her husband to return and when her money ran out, she took Mary to London to appeal to her mother-in-law for financial help. She knew this old woman disliked girls, so she dressed Mary in boy's clothes and made her pretend to be her son. The mother-in-law was fooled and promised a crown a week to help support them. Mary continued to masquerade as a boy for many years, even after the old woman died and the financial aid ended.

Then a teenager, Mary was hired out as a footboy to a French woman. But according to history, "here she did not live long, for growing bold and strong, and having also a roving mind, she entered herself on board a man-of-war, where she served some time; then quitted it." Still disguised as a male, she enlisted in a foot regiment in Flanders and later a horse regiment, serving in both with distinction. She fell in love with a fellow soldier, disclosed her true sex, and began dressing as a female. After their marriage, she and her husband became innkeepers, owning the Three Horseshoes near the castle of Breda in Holland. Unfortunately, he died young and her fortunes soon dwindled.

She knew that life in the 1700s was much easier as a man than as a woman, so she reverted back to men's clothing and started her life over, this time going to sea on a Dutch merchant ship heading to the Caribbean. On one voyage, the ship was commandeered by English pirates with whom she sailed and fought until they accepted the King's pardon in 1718 and began operating as privateers. Soon afterwards, their ship was overtaken by Captain Jack Rackham's Vanity and, bored of the legitimate life, she again turned pirate. Anne Bonney was already part of Rackham's crew, and she and Mary quickly discovered each other's cross-dressing secret and became close friends. Despite her tough exterior, Mary found a lover on board and is said to have saved his life by protecting him from a threatened duel. She picked a fight with his opponent first and, with deadly use of her sword and pistol, ended his life before he could harm her husband-to-be.

It would explain an awful lot

This is my favourite part...

In late October 1720, Rackkam's ship was anchored off Point Negril, Jamaica, the pirates celebrating recent victories in their typical hard-drinking tradition. Suddenly a British Navy sloop -- the man-o-war Albion, headed by Captain Jonathan Barnet -- surprised them. The drunken male pirates quickly hid below deck, leaving only Anne and Mary to defend their ship. The women yelled at their pirate mates to "come up, you cowards, and fight like men," and then angrily raged against them, killing one and wounding several others. But the women were eventually overwhelmed by the British Navy, and the entire crew was captured and taken to Jamaica to stand trial.

Captain Jack and the male members of his crew were tried on November 16, 1720, and were sentenced to hang. Anne was allowed to visit her lover in his cell before his execution, and instead of the consoling, loving words he was undoubtedly expecting, her scathing comments live on throughout history: "Had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog."

www.bonney-readkrewe.com...

And that's just two of the awesome fighting women of her-story ;

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

That looks very much as though it's a Japanese interpretation of 'Highlander'...and I think I may have to watch that one too.

Actually its much more bizarre then that, I looked it up and its about a assassin/samurai from the warring age of japan who got killed by the shogunate for rebellion. And after his death his soul travels through time to a sort of present day alternate historic dimenshion of japan, and different eras in history were he inhabits bodies and goes on a bloody rampage killing anyone and everyone in his way, just because there in his way. A sort of spirit of vengeance, the movie at least seems to be full of colorful characters, and action aplenty.

You'd be surprised just how many women did take up piracy, and were pretty handy with the sword, however, had they like that lady, waltzed around with their fun bags hanging out, they wouldn't have faired particularly well, most of the women that took up piracy that I've read of, disguised themselves as men for the duration of their careers...but one or two, when it came to the crunch, did flash their boobs to win a duel.

Well no doubt women is sneaky creatures. Oh and if they were serious I think they would of fared pretty well in a sword fight against dudes if they were dressed like that, fighting and war is about deception and misdirection and even distraction, and there is more then one way to achieve those ends. But then again who knows I do not think you would notice such things when somebody is trying to put holes in you, to me personally everybody would look like one big painted target.

I dig your young KilgoreTrout picture, and coincidentally I always pictured you kind of like that. I figured you would have an eye patch, possible a scar across your cheek or nose that you got in a knife fight, maybe even a peg leg, and also I figured you would speak in a slow drooling slur, and have a habit for saying - arhh now and then.
But I never figured you would be having an eye patch at such a young age. What happened? Or is this just a costume for old hallows eve, or some school play, or some such. Plz do tell?

And that's just two of the awesome fighting women of her-story ;

You know I never really thought about the women of history, but I assumed there had to be some somewhere in there. His story...Her story. It's all tomato - tomato to me you know. But thanks for the link to a very interesting story's of some fascinating life's. And also ya, you got the whole Mary Read vibe going on, mens clothes playing dress up, and going on miss fortunate adventures and all that. So who knows maybe you were her in another life after all. Besides there are plenty of bizarre people in this world, especially on the net, and even on ATS believe it or not.

Anyways to get back on topic, Hey! check it out. More sword fighting, this movie has been on my to watch list for a while now. I never actually got to watch it as I always forget, but from all the clips I seen of it looks hilarious. The sword fight is a bit late into the clip after he gets chased by a crazy woman with a broom on the roof screaming "chupacabra" and a bit after they have there dance fight. Its a short sword fight, but its still cool.

edit on 6-2-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Well no doubt women is sneaky creatures. Oh and if they were serious I think they would of fared pretty well in a sword fight against dudes if they were dressed like that, fighting and war is about deception and misdirection and even distraction, and there is more then one way to achieve those ends.

Men of course are devoid of the attribute of sneakiness
Anyway, my point was, that when a woman was captured by pirates she was likely to be considered 'booty', as in, she could be sold, or ransomed in a lot of cases, but someone like Mary, without a husband or family, would have more likely been sold either into prostitution or some other form of occupation or even for marriage. Living as a male, she had the choice to join her captures, or to die. The situation was the same for women, wives or camp followers, captured during battles. So dressing as a male not only enabled women of that time to support themselves financially, but more importantly, it offered them a little more choice in deciding their own destiny as well as protecting them against unwanted molestation.

I dig your young KilgoreTrout picture, and coincidentally I always pictured you kind of like that. I figured you would have an eye patch, possible a scar across your cheek or nose that you got in a knife fight, maybe even a peg leg, and also I figured you would speak in a slow drooling slur, and have a habit for saying - arhh now and then.
But I never figured you would be having an eye patch at such a young age. What happened? Or is this just a costume for old hallows eve, or some school play, or some such. Plz do tell?

You guessed about the peg leg eh? I also have a hook on my left hand, though I sometimes change it for a wooden spoon or whisk...I began my career as a pirate at an early age, in Neverneverland obviously. I did originally go as a stand in for Wendy, to read to and look after the Lost Boys, but Tinkerbell and I did not get on at all, and I not being as sweetly disposed as dear Wendy soon got tired of her pinching and hair pulling and threw my lot in with Captain Hook, though I maintained a secret pact of none aggression with Peter and the Boys.

You know I never really thought about the women of history, but I assumed there had to be some somewhere in there. His story...Her story. It's all tomato - tomato to me you know. But thanks for the link to a very interesting story's of some fascinating life's. And also ya, you got the whole Mary Read vibe going on, mens clothes playing dress up, and going on miss fortunate adventures and all that.

Another good example is Hannah Snell.

Following the death of her daughter, she moved to Portsmouth and joined the Marines. She boarded the ship Swallow at Portsmouth on 23 October 1747. The ship sailed to Lisbon on 1 November. Her unit was about to invade Mauritius, but the attack was called off. Her unit then sailed to India.

In August 1748, her unit was sent to an expedition to capture the French colony of Pondicherry in India. Later, she also fought in the battle in Devicotta in June 1749. She was wounded eleven times to the legs and once to the groin. She either managed to treat her groin wound without revealing her sex or she may have used the services of a sympathetic Indian nurse.

In 1750, her unit returned to Britain and traveled from Portsmouth to London, where she revealed her sex to her shipmates on 2 June. She petitioned the Duke of Cumberland, the head of the army, for her pension. She also sold her story to London publisher Robert Walker who published her account, The Female Soldier, in two different editions.

en.wikipedia.org...

It was less about dressing up and more about the limitations for women of earning a living and travelling independently. The lives of women in those days were highly constrained and their choices few...

Back on topic...if we're going the cartoon route, I must put in a good word for Touche Turtle...

...and obviously Dogtanian shouldn't be forgotten...

One of the best theme songs EVER

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Men of course are devoid of the attribute of sneakiness

Actually you would be surprised how many of them are blissfully unaware of such things.

Anyway, my point was, that when a woman was captured by pirates she was likely to be considered 'booty', as in, she could be sold, or ransomed in a lot of cases, but someone like Mary, without a husband or family, would have more likely been sold either into prostitution or some other form of occupation or even for marriage. Living as a male, she had the choice to join her captures, or to die. The situation was the same for women, wives or camp followers, captured during battles. So dressing as a male not only enabled women of that time to support themselves financially, but more importantly, it offered them a little more choice in deciding their own destiny as well as protecting them against unwanted molestation.

Given the alternatives its the least crappy path I would think. But then again just how many women were captured by pirates compared to men? The majority living in the thick of cities I do not think they just wandered upon pirates daily, unless its a coastal area which is not defended then really, what did they expect when they signed up on being a pirate. Not that life in the cities were much better back then, but still. It's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, then complaining that it's hot. But either way like everything else the story and accompanying movie which is soon put out in theaters is much more nicer to watch and friendly on the minds eye then the real actual thing. And what can I say the war machine sucks, I mean its a wonder why women have supported it from before Babylon to now a days so constantly and thoroughly.

You guessed about the peg leg eh? I also have a hook on my left hand, though I sometimes change it for a wooden spoon or whisk...I began my career as a pirate at an early age, in Neverneverland obviously. I did originally go as a stand in for Wendy, to read to and look after the Lost Boys, but Tinkerbell and I did not get on at all, and I not being as sweetly disposed as dear Wendy soon got tired of her pinching and hair pulling and threw my lot in with Captain Hook, though I maintained a secret pact of none aggression with Peter and the Boys.

I was actually mostly joking. But I will take you at your words, sooo when and were in that whole ordeal did you lose your eye and get that awesome eye patch?

It was less about dressing up and more about the limitations for women of earning a living and travelling independently. The lives of women in those days were highly constrained and their choices few...

Never heard of Hannah Snell, crazy huh? Almost as crazy as the way they fought wars and battles back then, didn't they just line up in a straight line shoot there muskets then drop dead, so that the next volley can line up and get killed? Must of been a crappy lot to pick to be the first in that line of battle, like signing your own death ticked, oh well I am sure somebody somewhere wrote about there glorious adventure of the many thousands of brave soldiers who died like that, and I am sure the king or lord or whatever gave them a really riling and commemorating speech, maybe even sent there families a pittance or one of them fancy ribbons. I am sure women would be lining up for that line of work if the opportunity were presented.

And yes I am aware that there women in history. After all how do you think we all got here? Even the worst evil and depraved and sick people in history had mothers, there's plenty of women in history that's for sure. History is much like the daily news, that is only the things that sell or are there for agenda purposes are worth jotting down and brought to the public's attention. And it just so happens that most of those things are the more eye and mind catching things. So if more women want to make history...Well do stupid, crazy, and dangerous things. The most of history is bull crap and a mindtrap for poor wary and unsuspecting souls, just as much as it is a warning of what not to constantly repeat.

Ah yes! The cartoons in those days were something else, its strange how even kids shows have changed so much. But you know what the voice of touchy turtle sounds a lot like droopy dog voice.

A dog sword fighting a kid.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Actually you would be surprised how many of them are blissfully unaware of such things.

No, not surprised at all, but then I wasn't making any sweeping statements...was I?

Given the alternatives its the least crappy path I would think. But then again just how many women were captured by pirates compared to men? The majority living in the thick of cities I do not think they just wandered upon pirates daily, unless its a coastal area which is not defended then really, what did they expect when they signed up on being a pirate. Not that life in the cities were much better back then, but still. It's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, then complaining that it's hot. But either way like everything else the story and accompanying movie which is soon put out in theaters is much more nicer to watch and friendly on the minds eye then the real actual thing. And what can I say the war machine sucks, I mean its a wonder why women have supported it from before Babylon to now a days so constantly and thoroughly.

As you said before, women are required for procreation purposes, and many went out to the colonies for marriage as well as work. They had to travel by ship, as it was too far to swim. I wasn't quantifying, merely qualifying. And in the good old days, wives, and servants, would accompany the army on campaigns...that was just the way they did things, officer class predominantly. There were also nurses later on. I suppose those women who support war, do so because it pays their husband's wages, and therefore supports them.

I was actually mostly joking. But I will take you at your words, sooo when and were in that whole ordeal did you lose your eye and get that awesome eye patch?

During my early experimentations with shape shifting , my curiousity overcame me and I decided to assume the form of a cat in order to ascertain where exactly my cat, a magnificient, if short-tempered, Seal-point Siamese queen, spent her nights. She being a highly intelligent animal soon detected that I was tailing her and through a complex series of loops and turns, shook me off, leaving me in an unfamiliar garden some way up the street. I can only assume that she sought to teach me a lesson, for as I made my way through a gap in the fence, I stepped onto something metallic, heard a dull click and then felt excruciating pain as sharp metal teeth snapped around my ankle. The gin trap that caught me, I later found out, had been placed by the garden owner in response to Jenny, the aforementioned Siamese, using his prize Dahlia patch as her littler box. Anyway, no matter how hard I tried I could not extricate myself from it’s iron jaws, and with dawn fast approaching, and far more fearful of being caught in the altogether in some strange garden, I resolved to chew my leg off and thus free myself in that way. It was no easy task but once accomplished, I limped my way home, whereupon returning to my human form with the first rays of dawn, I cauterised my stump by means of a makeshift flame thrower, a can of hairspray and a disposable lighter, before hopping down to the garage where I was able to cobble together a temporary peg leg using an old leather belt and the redundant leg of a broken old stool. Funnily enough, the gardener in question never reported finding a stray lower part of a leg in his garden, I can only assume it was due to his illegal use of a banned trap.

The eye patch, is merely affectatious. It looks cool and serves to distract from my pronounced limp.

A dog sword fighting a kid.

That is pretty awesome...my boy will love it.

Talking of which, we watched Hero last night (number 4 on Xoanon's list) and despite his initial concerns about the subtitles, he sat absolutely mesmerised throughout...

I just had to post this clip, although it is a rubbish sword fight, it is an absolutely beautiful scene...and it is, evidently, also Ziyi Zhang's birthday today...so there you go...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

No, not surprised at all, but then I wasn't making any sweeping statements...was I?

I assumed you were. I may have assumed wrong, but that to is an assumption.

As you said before, women are required for procreation purposes, and many went out to the colonies for marriage as well as work. They had to travel by ship, as it was too far to swim.

To far to swim indeed.

During my early experimentations with shape shifting , my curiousity overcame me and I decided to assume the form of a cat in order to ascertain where exactly my cat, a magnificient, if short-tempered, Seal-point Siamese queen, spent her nights.

Nice try but shape shifting does not work like that. Great story however.

The eye patch, is merely affectatious. It looks cool and serves to distract from my pronounced limp.

So I take it your not going to say why your wearing an eye patch in that picture. That's OK, besides I can make a story as to why you got an eye patch which would be way better then the real reason. The real reason is probably lame anyways, no doubt you probably slipped on a banana peal while playing tag and fell on a pointy stick whereby you lost your eye, and from that day on all the kids started calling you little miss bad dept perception.

Talking of which, we watched Hero last night (number 4 on Xoanon's list) and despite his initial concerns about the subtitles, he sat absolutely mesmerised throughout... I just had to post this clip, although it is a rubbish sword fight, it is an absolutely beautiful scene...and it is, evidently, also Ziyi Zhang's birthday today...so there you go...

Its very colorful, dig the whole part were the whole world turns red, poetic if albeit in a exaggerated sort of way.

The only part that comes to mind out of that whole movie is the end scene with arrows. It was a bit anticlimactic.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
how can you forget this sword fight, from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad? Sinbad fights a battle with a reanimated skeleton.

This was done in 1958, no CGI, no blue screen, the actor, Kerwin Matthews, had to pretty much fight an invisible enemy, and with the talents of SPFX god, Ray Harryhausen, the fight was done seamlessly

|It was proved to be so popular, he recreated it on a larger scale in the movie Jason & the Argonauts

edit on 2/10/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Some sort of artistic performance done in front of a theater screen, a shadow sword fight.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Was surfing youtube and found out they made a Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X movie. I seen the anime movies and watched more then a bit of the anime series, though I never really got into it seen about half of the series. But definitely got to check up netflix or elsewhere to see if they have this movie. From the clips I seen it looks pretty entertaining, sword fights a plenty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join