It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge orders tobacco companies to admit deception

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
A few facts for the tobacco company sympathizers:

599 additives are on the composite list released to the government in 1994 by tobacco companies of what may be added to cigarettes. This list includes all ingredients that are used although it does not tell which companies they are used by or which brands they are used in.

Cigarette smoke contains about 4800 chemicals.

2-Naphthylamine, 4-Aminobiphenyl, Benzene, Vinyl Chloride, Ethylene Oxide, Arsenic, Beryllium, Nickel, Chromium (only hexavalent), Cadmium, and Polonium-210 are human carcinogens found in tobacco smoke.

Nicotine is in tobacco smoke.
Nicotine is addictive.
Ammonia is in tobacco smoke.
Ammonia boosts the impact of nicotine.

Benzene is in tobacco smoke. Benzene causes cancer.

Arsenic is in tobacco smoke.

Acetaldehyde is in tobacco smoke. Acetaldehyde is a hazardous air pollutant.

Carbon monoxide is in tobacco smoke. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas which can cause death.

Chromium is in tobacco smoke. Chromium contributes to cancer.

Radioactive Polonium-210 is found in cigarette smoke. Polonium-210 contributes to cancer.

Hydrogen cyanide is in tobacco smoke. Hydrogen cyanide exposure causes cardiovascular and respiratory illness.

Hydrogen cyanide has been used in prison executions. It's also found in cigarette smoke.
There's hydrogen cyanide in rat poison. The same stuff is in cigarette smoke.

Sodium hydroxide is a caustic compound found in hair removal products. It was found in cigarettes in 1994.

There are 11 known human carcinogens in cigarette smoke.

An ingredient in mothballs- naphthalene- is also found in cigarette smoke.

Urea is found in cigarettes. Urea is also found in Pee.

Cadmium is found in cigarettes. Cadmium is also found in batteries.

Toluene is found in cigarette smoke. Toluene is also found in gasoline.

Cinnemaldyhyde is found in cigarettes. Cinnemaldehyde is also found in pet repellant.

Methanol is found in cigarettes. Methanol is also found in antifreeze.

Hydrazine is found in cigarettes. Hydrazine is also found in rocket fuel.

Acetone is found in cigarette smoke. Acetone also removes nail polish.

Geraniol is found in cigarettes. Geraniol is also found in pesticides.

Formaldehyde is found in cigarette smoke. It's also used to preserve dead animals.

Toluene is found in cigarette smoke. Toluene is also found in explosives.

Acetanisole is found in cigarettes. Acetanisole is also an ingredient in some perfumes.

Acetic Acid is found in cigarettes. Acetic Acid is also found in floor wipes.

In the U.S., 443,000 people die a tobacco-related death every year.
In the U.S.,128,922 people die each year from lung, trachea, and bronchus cancers caused by smoking. 3,400 of these deaths result from secondhand smoke.
In the U.S., 35,326 people die each year from cancers other than lung, trachea, and bronchus caused by smoking
174,497 people die from smoking-related and secondhand smoke related cardiovascular diseases each year.
103,338 people die from smoking-related respiratory diseases each year (pneumonia, bronchitis, emphysema, chronic airways obstruction).
In the U.S., 3,400 people die each year from secondhand smoke-related lung cancer.
In the U.S., tobacco kills more Americans than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, murders, suicides, drugs, and fires combined.
Since 1964, there have been more than 12 million tobacco-related deaths in the U.S.

www.thetruth.com...

So - yeah, it is not the tobacco itself.
It is what the tobacco companies do to it.
Do you really want to smoke all that???

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by Daedal

That's all they get.. a slap on the wrist for killing people? That's Insane.

To those who don't think it's been proven smoking kills your deluded. Smoke is in itself a carcinogen, a cancer causing agent. This has been proven and it's been proven that long term exposure to carcinogens - gives you cancer and there fore kills you.

I smoked for 22 years then switch to the better tasting non harmful electronic cigarette two years ago. It was my life saver because nothing else I tried could get me to quit smoking. I still get my nicotine in a harmless form and still get to blow out big clouds of thick white vapor that resembles smoke. It's fun, high tech, trendy and can save your life. If you can't quit any other way, I urge you to check them out.

So, John you smoked for 22 years? Did you die, no? You are living proof that smoking does not kill -- you smoked for 22 years and did not die. Are you unusual, no? Many people smoke all their lives and do not die, therefore we can conclude that smoking does not kill. If it did, then you would be dead.

I did not die because I quit smoking. I have no doubt if I had not quit there would be a much greater chance of my dieing from a smoking related disease in the future. Why? Because my body is now healing from the harm of smoking. This has been confirmed by my doctor.

How old are you? Do you smoke? If so, How long have you been smoking?

I'm 44. I have had lung damage from the smoking that is now healing. I can breath much easier than I could before I quit smoking. I have more stamina, more energy. There is proof smoking caused this damage and proof if your healthy enough when you quit, the body can heal itself.

Answer my questions and we will go from there.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

JohnPhoenix, congrats on quitting. You did the right thing.
I have been telling everyone I know who smokes that if they quit now, they may have a chance to heal their bodies.
It is possible, if the damage is not too far gone.
Hang in there! It sounds like you are on the right path. Don't ever give up!

My husband - was one year older than you are now when he died.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I did not die because I quit smoking. I have no doubt if I had not quit there would be a much greater chance of my dieing from a smoking related disease in the future. Why? Because my body is now healing from the harm of smoking. This has been confirmed by my doctor.

How old are you? Do you smoke? If so, How long have you been smoking?

I'm 44. I have had lung damage from the smoking that is now healing. I can breath much easier than I could before I quit smoking. I have more stamina, more energy. There is proof smoking caused this damage and proof if your healthy enough when you quit, the body can heal itself.

Answer my questions and we will go from there.

John, you state that you have no doubt that had you not quit there would be a much greater chance of dying from a smoking related disease in the future.

So smoking did not kill you, but it may in the future. So you are now admitting that smoking may or may not kill. Now you are introducing qualifiers into the statement 'smoking kills'. Now we are talking about the introduction of risk. There are risks involved with everything.

I have smoked for twenty years. I regularly need health checks for work permits and not once has a doctor been able to determine that I am a smoker.

I am happy for you that you feel have made the right decision to stop smoking, me I will continue to smoke moderately, for my health.

Yes, I smoke tobacco for the health benefits!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Some people have a genetic predisposition to either be more harmed by smoking or not. You don't know which type of person you are until it's too late. There is nothing in my statements that disqualifies "smoking kills" because it absolutely Can kill you or anyone else. You might be lucky and smoke for 80 years and wind up dying from a non smoking related disease or get hit by a car. The facts are as BlueAja said, there are tons of chemicals in smoking tobacco and more created through combustion. These can effect your health in a negative way with enough exposure, as can smoke itself that's grown naturally without all the added chemicals. The chemicals in commercial cigarettes just cause the process to take effect more quickly. .These are proven facts although this process effects everyone differently.

I hope you never have to find out what it's like not to be able to run a block because you can't breath or have no energy or other smoking related symptoms of disease. For me, I Loved smoking. I did not want to quit and found no matter what i tried i could not quit. This is why i choose to use a non potentially lethal electronic cigarette. It gives me everything I want from smoking by "vaping" ( we inhale and exhale a vapor with liquid nicotine exactly like a nicotine inhaler - only much better - it looks, feels and taste exactly like smoking) without the down side. My doctors tell me my body is healing at a rate of someone who quit cold turkey. Works for me and is just as enjoyable as smoking. If you ever find yourself being effected by smoking in a negative way, you may want to look into these electronic cigarettes.

To BlueAjah: Thank You !
edit on 27-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I love the blackmarket here in Australia and one reason why I have respect for some of the Muslims here is because of their bravery to provide raw tobacco. They are providing a great service in their new home
:up
edit on 27-11-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I think cancer in general is a major killer. I have smoked since I was 15 years old. My dad a lot longer and no sign of lung cancer etc. His brother wasn't so lucky. One visit to the doctors and black spots all over the inside of his body. He never smoked and lived off the land. The world is a funny place sometimes. He was gone about 12 months later. My dad continues on.

Smoking may be a killer over time but there are surely worse thing you can come into contact with wihci will kill you much quicker.
edit on 27-11-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
It is worth noting that there are still NO conclusive studies that prove that smoking tobacco kills. Bearing that in mind, the de-normalisation of smoking is social engineering.

Or is it more to do with the war between Big Pharma and Big Tobacco.

Sure..that is what I would like to believe too as a daily smoker. The words ignorant and deny are applicable in this matter.

The following picture are sets of healthy and smokerlungs. And yes..they really are. Still doesn't say anything about the set on the left having cancer but would you not agree that there is a slightly more chance cancer would develop when smoking?

edit on 27/11/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Its different for everyone. Not every smoker will be diagnosed with cancer down the track. I refer to an old friend who died not so long ago. She was in her 80's, had smoked since she was 17 years old. She died of natural causes 3 years ago. Not one sign of lung cancer or any other cancer.

You do run a risk smoking but there are worse things you can be exposed too.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I am staggered by the number of people that are supporting the tobacco companies here.

After 40 hard years of trying to stop, I finally managed 2 years ago.

I had almost forgotten how the addiction manipulates the mind into thinking that the victim actually enjoys the cigarette.

I really don't want to preach, and I accept that I am very lucky to have freed myself from this slavery.

I see the judges ruling as a first step, against a massively powerful cartel.

Do you remember, years ago, all those tobacco company executives, lined up, in court, swearing, under oath that they truly believed tobacco was not addictive, what BS.

After the new ads have been run, there may be a couple more knocks to the corporate giants, before the big one.

Hopefully, they day will come when they will face the full force of the law, and be held financially responsible for their actions over the years.

Oh, and for those that have said they would gladly switch brands if one was ever sold without all the dangerous chemicals added, do you have a garden?

Tobacco grows like weeds do, in nearly any climate.
edit on 28-11-2012 by Watchfull because: Remove bad icon

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
I'm a smoker, and if some company released readily available cigarettes that were just plain tobacco

"Natural Spirit"

It comes in a yellow and blue box with American Indian imagery on the package. Sold in all 7-11s.

Not that I'm advocating smoking as an x-smoker. But there you go.

Be forewarned: You'll miss those 5,000 other chemicals.

Also, to the person who went to the electronic cig: First, good job, second, you can wheen (sp?) yourself off the nicotene if you so desire with those.........that's how I quit. Almost 2 years nicotene free now.

edit on 28-11-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The excuses everyone is giving here, "I know so-and-so smoked for years and was fine"... etc. etc. - you sound just like my husband. Those are the same things that he said when I, and others, tried to get him to quit.

All of you may not be around long enough to regret your denial. It will be your family members who face the regrets.

I hope you never have to hear a coroner telling you that the cause of your loved one's sudden death was caused directly by years of smoking. I hope your family does not have to live with hearing that, including your children who would then be growing up without their father or mother.

And congrats to everyone who had the guts to quit!
edit on 11/28/12 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Originally posted by predator0187
I'm a smoker, and if some company released readily available cigarettes that were just plain tobacco

"Natural Spirit"

It comes in a yellow and blue box with American Indian imagery on the package. Sold in all 7-11s.

Not that I'm advocating smoking as an x-smoker. But there you go.

Be forewarned: You'll miss those 5,000 other chemicals.

Also, to the person who went to the electronic cig: First, good job, second, you can wheen (sp?) yourself off the nicotene if you so desire with those.........that's how I quit. Almost 2 years nicotene free now.

edit on 28-11-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

These are what I smoked till I quit as well. Nat Sherman's are another brand like American Spirit if you are more of an east coaster.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Big Tobacco took the fall for Big Pharma, Big Chemicals and all the other polluting-and-killing industries. A handy scapegoat.

I'd like to see everyone held accountable - and forced to pay for disseminating actual truth.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Sorry, there's no tar, nail polish remover, or rat poison in vegetables. Furthermore, if you eat veggies your entire life you'll likely turn out rather healthy. The same can't be said for smokers. If smoking was so harmless as you make it out to be, why is it that so many smokers develop so many health problems? Lung cancer doesn't usually cause itself, just saying.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Zatera

Your pictures are an absolute hoot!

Don't you know that when lungs are removed from the human body and exposed to air, that over a short amount of time, the lungs will turn from pink to grey?

What is my proof that smokers don't have grey or black lungs?

Because smokers provide over 40 % of all lungs used in a lung transplant. Do you really think grey or black lungs would be used for transplant?

www.mirror.co.uk...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by zatara

Zatera

Your pictures are an absolute hoot!

Don't you know that when lungs are removed from the human body and exposed to air, that over a short amount of time, the lungs will turn from pink to grey?

What is my proof that smokers don't have grey or black lungs?

Because smokers provide over 40 % of all lungs used in a lung transplant. Do you really think grey or black lungs would be used for transplant?

www.mirror.co.uk...

Tired of Control Freaks

That's not proof that smokers lungs are not grey or black.

Should the lungs of smokers be included in lung transplants? A new study suggests their inclusion may be warranted.

The study found that lung transplant patients who receive smokers' lungs still are more likely to survive than those who refuse such lungs and remain on the transplant waiting list.

The lives of patients who receive smokers' lungs, however, tended to be shorter than those who receive the lungs of non-smokers, the British researchers added....

The issue is not just a British one -- speaking to the Associated Press, Dr. Normam Edelman, chief medical officer for the American Lung Association, said smokers' lungs are also used for transplant in the United States, although he did not have data on how common the practice might be.

But the bottom line from the new study is that "patients awaiting lung transplantation in the U.K. are likely to survive longer if they are willing to accept lungs from any suitable donor, irrespective of smoking history," lead author Dr. Robert Bonser, of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham and the University of Birmingham, said in a journal news release. "Donors with a positive smoking history provide nearly 40 percent of the lungs available for transplantation [in the U.K.] Rejection of this donor-organ resource would increase waiting-list mortality and is ill-advised."
consumer.healthday.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Yes, I can ween myself off the nicotine as it comes in every strength you can imagine from zero to full cigarette strength. But - there really is no need to because the strong attraction I had to smoking is gone. It turns out those 5000 chemicals in burning tobacco is more responsible for getting you addicted than nicotine via compounds called Whole Tobacco Alkaloids.

Nicotine since it was found out about ( data first released by Big Tobacco) was used as a scape goat for all the other chemicals the tobacco industry did not want you to know about. It wasn't until years later we learned of all the other chemicals.

Electronic cigarette users who make the switch cleanly notice after the first couple of weeks that they don't have the cravings they used to have - the addiction is mostly gone even though they use the same amount of nicotine ( or higher) they used while smoking. Some people who tried electronic cigarettes found that it did not satisfy the cravings - Looking into why this happens is how Whole Tobacco Alkaloids were discovered. These people were so addicted to these other chemicals in tobacco that nicotine alone would not satisfy them.

I enjoy my nicotine and have no desire to give it up even though I don't have a strong physical addiction to it. I use it recreationalaly just like I do with coffee. You have to understand the effects of nicotine in this purer form without all the other chemicals effects the body differently than it does with smoking. You can actually feel the stimulant effect on your system like as if you drank a strong cup of coffee. I enjoy this. It can be strong enough that it can keep you awake at night. You don't get this effect at all from smoking cigarettes. Scientist and doctors who study this say nicotine in this form is only very mildly addictive, no more than caffeine and it is also like caffiene both a central nervous system stimulant and a vascular constrictor ( can constrict blood vessels) but no more than caffeine does. They say, if you are healthy enough to drink coffee, your healthy enough to use an electronic cigarette and have the same health risks associated with using caffeine. This risk ex smokers like me deem very acceptable for the pleasure of having a smoking like product that won't kill us.

I'll add that it's not the nicotine that kills or causes health problems, it's the smoke itself as it is the carcinogen. Many quit smoking programs call nicotine the NicoDemon and do other things to demonize nicotine but they are in error. Used responsibly nicotine in it's liquid form without all the other chemicals from tobacco poses very little health risks. The vapor from electronic cigarettes does not harm the lungs, heart or body at all.
edit on 28-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

Tobacco companies are murderers. They are greedy and evil.

Lol.

"They are greedy and evil because they killed my husband."

Blah blah blah.

That's basically what you sound like.

Your husband chose to smoke.

let me fix your statement for you

My husband is a murderer. He was selfish and evil.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LewsTherinThelamon
reply to post by BlueAjah

Tobacco companies are murderers. They are greedy and evil.

Lol.

"They are greedy and evil because they killed my husband."

Blah blah blah.

That's basically what you sound like.

Your husband chose to smoke.

let me fix your statement for you

My husband is a murderer. He was selfish and evil.

You seem to be missing the point.

Tobacco companies are greedy and evil because they put profit before the health of others.
They intentionally put addictive chemicals in their product to make it very difficult to quit.
And they marketed to teens, when they were allowed to, when my husband was young for example, in such a way to make smoking seem glamorous and cool.
They killed millions of people, not just my husband. That is evil.

What other product would be allowed to be on the market for generations, when it has been proven to kill people?
The money, greed and power of the tobacco industry are what keeps them going.
They have been allowed to hide the truth and minimize the harm.
This is a conspiracy site. It would be a good project to research how in the world this has been permitted for so long.

My husband tried unsuccessfully many times to quit when he was older. In the beginning, it was the propaganda spread by those who wish to gloss over or minimize the risks, such as you see in this thread, which encouraged him to keep smoking.
So - by saying the things that are being said here in support of tobacco companies, you are just encouraging others to ignore the facts.

Your opinion about what you think I sound like has nothing to do with the facts.
It may sound preachy, but if it makes one person think twice about what they are doing, and try to find a way to quit, then it is worth speaking up.
What is the option? Just shut up, and live with knowing how this can impact someone and the lives of their loved ones?
Sorry - but I will go for the option of spreading the truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join