It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge orders tobacco companies to admit deception

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Well it's about time. I remember when I was a teenager how Camel cigarettes targeted kids through their Camel Joe advertisements, I bet they have millions hooked by now. Anyways the judge ordered the tobacco companies to run advertisements on their websites and in various media outlets for two years describing their deceptive practices.

Here is a sample of the wording to be used:

"A federal court has ruled that the defendant tobacco companies deliberately deceived the American public by falsely selling and advertising low tar and light cigarettes as less harmful than regular cigarettes."

Source

The ruling sets out what might be the harshest sanction to come out of a historic case that the Justice Department brought in 1999 accusing the tobacco companies of racketeering.

U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler wrote that the new advertising campaign would be an appropriate counterweight to the companies' "past deception" dating to at least 1964.

(Alternative source)
edit on 27-11-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
That's just stupid.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A judge just stated on the record that ads,
do brainwash people.
Ordered a reset in the mindset,
of the brainwashed public.
I have just been sentenced to,
court ordered commercials.
Can I be held in contempt of court,
if I refuse to watch or mute,
court ordered commercials?

Why are we being punished for what a corporation did for profit?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It is worth noting that there are still NO conclusive studies that prove that smoking tobacco kills. Bearing that in mind, the de-normalisation of smoking is social engineering.

Or is it more to do with the war between Big Pharma and Big Tobacco.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Such baloney. How about we also target candy companies for targeting little kids and making them fat. Let's tax the crap out of candy and fatty foods, because it makes you fat. Then lets ban fatty foods, and lets make fun of fat people for eating these foods. And if they want to eat those fat foods, Lets make them eat it outside in the cold because delicious food smells terrible to me and just looking at fat foods and what it produces just makes me gag.

I just believe these are our problems. I made the decision to smoke. I also have made the decision to enjoy it. I don't drink alcohol, I don't take medication for anything. But I enjoy my cigarette. So what?! Maybe things were different 20 30 years ago with advertsiing. But I am 30 and since I was younger to now, the only advertising were in magazines. And we had tv, who wanted to read a magazine anyway.

This problem is my own and my own alone. And a judge making the tobacco companies spend more money, to make some useless commercials is going to do nothing. It just makes people think its not their problem or their fault. Well it is.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If tobacco is as dangerous as they claim,
why don't we force people on death row, sentence to death, to smoke until dead.
It would save taxpayers millions.
I always wondered why criminals were not allowed to smoke in jail anymore,
and we wanted them to live longer healthier lives.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
It is worth noting that there are still NO conclusive studies that prove that smoking tobacco kills. Bearing that in mind, the de-normalisation of smoking is social engineering.

WTF omg your post angers me greatly because of its slight truth and the deceptive way your presenting it.

Smoking cigarettes laced with 5000 chemicals the general public barely understand DOES KILL and edits the way you think whilst smoking them.

Smoking tobacco most likely isnt good for your lungs. HOWEVER tobacco is the raw untreated product before "Big Pharma AND the Tobacco companies add there 5000+ death mind control chemicals.

THAT is the truth. Not what you said........

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Judges are doing some dumb things these days.

Who exactly do you hold accountable for this order?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mandrakerealmz

Originally posted by deessell

WTF omg your post angers me greatly because of its slight truth and the deceptive way your presenting it.

Smoking cigarettes laced with 5000 chemicals the general public barely understand DOES KILL and edits the way you think whilst smoking them.

Smoking tobacco most likely isnt good for your lungs. HOWEVER tobacco is the raw untreated product before "Big Pharma AND the Tobacco companies add there 5000+ death mind control chemicals.

THAT is the truth. Not what you said........

Prove it! Most studies are based on Richard Doll's 1955 study, which was inconclusive.

Those 5000 chemical that are in tobacco are also in vegetables.

Again, I ask you to provide PROOF that smoking kills.

If I sit in my car-shed for 3 hours smoking, will I die? No, if I sit in my car-shed for 3 hours with the engine running, will I die? Yes!

Fumes from cars kill! That can be proven

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I don't think it will change much of anything now but still good that they do at least admit guilt. People who get duped into smoking and then get hooked are warned through ads and negative ads but nothing compares to the strength of persuasion when both or one of their parents smoked. No amount of negative ads or people living in iron lungs are going to stop that. Years ago cigarette companies got scientists to go along with their science that cigarettes were harmless. People say that is where we are with climatology now. When they apologize and accept guilt down the road it will be too late. Its already too late. Same with cigarettes. Too late for some who did not have all the information until it was too late.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

That's all they get.. a slap on the wrist for killing people? That's Insane.

To those who don't think it's been proven smoking kills your deluded. Smoke is in itself a carcinogen, a cancer causing agent. This has been proven and it's been proven that long term exposure to carcinogens - gives you cancer and there fore kills you.

I smoked for 22 years then switch to the better tasting non harmful electronic cigarette two years ago. It was my life saver because nothing else I tried could get me to quit smoking. I still get my nicotine in a harmless form and still get to blow out big clouds of thick white vapor that resembles smoke. It's fun, high tech, trendy and can save your life. If you can't quit any other way, I urge you to check them out.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by Daedal

That's all they get.. a slap on the wrist for killing people? That's Insane.

To those who don't think it's been proven smoking kills your deluded. Smoke is in itself a carcinogen, a cancer causing agent. This has been proven and it's been proven that long term exposure to carcinogens - gives you cancer and there fore kills you.

I smoked for 22 years then switch to the better tasting non harmful electronic cigarette two years ago. It was my life saver because nothing else I tried could get me to quit smoking. I still get my nicotine in a harmless form and still get to blow out big clouds of thick white vapor that resembles smoke. It's fun, high tech, trendy and can save your life. If you can't quit any other way, I urge you to check them out.

So, John you smoked for 22 years? Did you die, no? You are living proof that smoking does not kill -- you smoked for 22 years and did not die. Are you unusual, no? Many people smoke all their lives and do not die, therefore we can conclude that smoking does not kill. If it did, then you would be dead.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have a better idea...

Make the tobacco companies take all of these added ingredients out and return it to just tobacco.

Rather than making them admit they make it as addictive as possible, which we all knew, and let them continue to do so, make them unable to do the crime anymore.

I'm a smoker, and if some company released readily available cigarettes that were just plain tobacco I would smoke that brand without question. If I did not like the taste of said brand I would quit. It would be much, much easier to just quit tobacco than all the additional ingredients they get us addicted to.

Why would we not fix the problem than fix a symptom?

Pred...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Tobacco absolutely DOES KILL.

It killed my husband. He was a smoker for many years. He tried to quit and was never able to. The products are designed to be addictive, making it very hard to stop.

There is a special box right on death certificates to be checked when the death is cause by tobacco. That is how deadly it is - it has its very own checkbox on death certificates. There is another checkbox for cancer. If something is so deadly that it has earned its very own checkbox on death certificates as a contributing cause of death, then it is not something that anyone should be doing voluntarily.

And yes, that checkbox was checked on my husband's.

Tobacco companies are murderers. They are greedy and evil.

Still doubt it? Check out the facts: www.thetruth.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
That's just stupid.

Seems we're living in the age of stupid when GMO's don't have to be listed on food products they've been added to. Okay to add stuff that might grow ya a third arm or shrivel your d!@%, but those tobacco companies must tell the truth in advertising!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah

It killed my husband. He was a smoker for many years. He tried to quit and was never able to. The products are designed to be addictive, making it very hard to stop.

There is a special box right on death certificates to be checked when the death is cause by tobacco. That is how deadly it is - it has its very own checkbox on death certificates. There is another checkbox for cancer. If something is so deadly that it has earned its very own checkbox on death certificates as a contributing cause of death, then it is not something that anyone should be doing voluntarily.

You are understandably too close to fully comprehend the situation. Those boxes on death certificates are checked when the person has admitted to smoking at some point in their lives. If they have, then their death is recorded as a smoking related illness. This directive comes from the guidelines supplied by the American Cancer Society. This does not imply that it is a smoking related death, only that the deceased smoked at some point in their life. Do you see the problem here?

I am obviously not privy to your husband's medical records however, I am sure that there are other factors that have not been taken into consideration.

The willingness of the medical profession to blindly observe "guidelines", issued by the Cancer Society generates a continuous stream of death certificates, validating the official line that cigarette smoking causes everything from heart disease to uterine cancer; yet, there is no shred of scientific evidence to validate any of the certificates; they are based on nothing more than official instructions to put down smoking as the cause of death!

www.lcolby.com...

First they came for the smokers...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Sorry for your loss, Blue. I lost a sister and my brother to cancer. I believe this allows me to say this:

These people smoked anywhere from 1 to three packs a day. That's every day for over forty years. One pack a day times 40 years equals 292,000 cigarettes. Do you think people would be unharmed if they ate 292,000 cupcakes, or drank 292,000 shots of whiskey?

The awful truth is that it's not the substance, but the addictive personality. If my sister and brother didn't smoke, they would have found something else to be addicted to.

Same with me. Without smoking, gambling, or caffeine I would have found this life to be intolerably boring. Probably would have turned to illegal drugs, greasy foods, and lots of dangerous ESS - E - EX!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

No. The specific cause was directly caused by tobacco use, according to the coroner. It was the tobacco use that directly caused the condition that resulted in his death - at a very young age. He would not have had the condition if he had not smoked.

I don't mind talking about this. I would never refuse the chance to spread the truth and inform others. Some people I know personally have quit, or are trying to quit, as a direct result of knowing what it did to my husband. If knowing the truth can save even one person, then it is worth speaking out.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm sorry for the losses in your family.

It is true that many addictions can be dangerous.

The problem with tobacco is that the tobacco companies intentionally put substances in their product to make it more addictive. They WANT people to get hooked. This is why they targeted young people in their ads, back when they were allowed to do so. Get them hooked when they are young and vulnerable - and have customers for life. (as long as their life lasts, that is). There is a reason why it is so very hard for people to quit smoking. Tobacco companies intentionally use nicotine to make it addictive. What other purpose would they have for putting such things in tobacco? The plant itself would likely not be nearly as deadly if tobacco companies did not add things.

Yes, it is also hard for an alcoholic to stop drinking, but the fact is that most people can drink and not get hooked on drinking to the point of alcoholism. The same with caffeine.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I'm sorry for the losses in your family.

It is true that many addictions can be dangerous.

The problem with tobacco is that the tobacco companies intentionally put substances in their product to make it more addictive. They WANT people to get hooked. This is why they targeted young people in their ads, back when they were allowed to do so. Get them hooked when they are young and vulnerable - and have customers for life. (as long as their life lasts, that is). There is a reason why it is so very hard for people to quit smoking. Tobacco companies intentionally use nicotine to make it addictive. What other purpose would they have for putting such things in tobacco? The plant itself would likely not be nearly as deadly if tobacco companies did not add things.

Yes, it is also hard for an alcoholic to stop drinking, but the fact is that most people can drink and not get hooked on drinking to the point of alcoholism. The same with caffeine.

Blue, if you were to remove the words tobacco companies and nicotine and replaced them with pharmaceutical companies and medication, it would reveal that you are repeating the meme that is enabling social engineering.

As I wrote earlier, this is part of the war between the tobacco industry and the pharmaceutical industry. This is BIG!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join