It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dying grandmother seeing spirits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
my grandpa was expirencing things like this 8 years ago just before he passed away. I remember going into his room one morning and half his face was limp (he must have had a stroke during the night) and he was talking strange. He held my left arm and said "what are all these strange markings on your arm" he said it looked like symbols/writing.... i dont have any tattoos on my arm or anything like that...

and of course i dont know if its dementia, something other, or a combination of things but it sounds crazy.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueAjah

Only thing i can say is that when i was working at the hospital there was one quite lucid older woman, but she had other problems that made her to pass away quite soon. At the end she would be lucid only half of the day, and then "hallucinate" the other half, or see things that were not there. She would ask why she had been moved to the storage rooms since there were crates and shelves all around her. She said she could see different people, a few times she knew who they were, other times they were "just people". She would not talk to them though, but she talked about them. She had no record of mental illness.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have witnessed an elderly (close to death) woman speaking to children that were not there. I was in hospital last year and the woman was in my ward. She had Parkinson's and was very frail and ill, but would often be perfectly lucid and aware of her surroundings, but then she would start talking to the children and like your grandmother was concerned for them, i.e, where their parents were etc (at first she asked if they were my children) but it really was like she was having a very real, two way conversation with them, quite freaky to watch.

She even described the children as having blonde hair/blue eyes and that they were beautiful, but it was the way she would stare intently at the middle of the room when she was "talking" to them, like I said it truly was like watching someone involved in a two way conversation, with her nodding, waiting for their answers etc.

I posted about this experience on a couple of other threads and there are a few accounts there as well of elderly patients seeing children/babies and talking to deceased relatives, the links are below if you're interested in reading them.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I don't have any definite answers but I can share a similar experience my uncle had just before he passed. He was a twin with his brother (my dad) who had passed away several years earlier from falling and hitting his head. Interestingly, the day my dad fell and hit the back of his head, his twin brother complained of severe pain in the back of his head while loading his golf clubs. It was so bad, he had to go inside and sit down. Anyway, several years later, my uncle had been diagnosed with a brain aneurism which he lived with for a few years. When he got more sick, my aunt told me that her husband, my dads twin, said that his brother was in the Hospitol room and was waiting for him to come with him. He died that day. My dad had been gone for abut 8 years.
I think your grandmother will be fine. There are generations of hers waiting to guide her through the process. Life goes on. Our bodies are nothing but vessels that are made to be recycled.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Thank you all for these touching and fascinating stories!
It makes death less scary to know that there can be some kind of comfort in the end.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i believe in he spirit world., i am sure she is seeing relatives whos there to walk her through to the other side. i had an incident about a yr ago here at my house. it was with the inscents burning in my home, but the thing was is i never burned inscents, i have a glade spray. which releases every 10mins, i know that smell because everybody used inscents back in the 90's.. i see and hear stuff but its something we will all have to learn. the things we see and hear and even smell, could be related to us ghost hunting etc.. aka "spirits i think its attached, but havent yet to be seen.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Not too long ago, my cousins grandmother passed away quite unexpectedly. About a week before she passed, she went over to my cousins house and was saying that she was seeing dead relatives of hers, most notably my cousins grandpa who had passed on about 10 years prior.

Two days before she passed away, my cousin had a dream in which his grandmother was asking him why he doesn't visit her and that she misses him and wants to see him. My cousin didn't heed the warning. After her passing, my cousins sister was discussing with her other cousin a similar dream they had had the week leading up to her death.

Stay strong, Blue. Your gamma is in good hands.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I absolutely believe that your 96 year old grandmother is in fact seeing and interacting with those who have passed and were close to her in life. When my grandfather was 93 and in a similar condition he began talking about seeing the "shadow people", and speaking with his long passed brother when he was in the shower one morning. Others in the family said that he was losing his mind but I suspected that his time was coming fast and the other side was reaching out to him.

When the end was very near and he was in the hospital in a semi-comatose state the doctor told us that it was taking him longer to pass because the pacemaker in his chest was forcing his heart to beat and keeping him alive. Then it all made sense to me that he was actually remaining here a little bit past his time and is why he seemed to develop a sudden connection with the afterlife, so to speak.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
OP... replying to your origional post, it is very common for a person to speak to the unseen in their last days. Go online to a hospice web site and read about the dying experience. There are a few other good indications to look for in a persons final days, like the picking they do. Picking is when they seem to be messing with unseen objects in the air around them. Reading about the signs is kind of comforting as you go through this journey with your grandma. I hope this helps you... its comforted me as I have been through this experience with some of my loved ones in the past. Btw, Hospice is an amazing organization!

dying.about.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I definitely believe in the spirit world especially since I've had a lot of interaction. Some of that interaction resulted in physical movement of objects.

I have an older relative who has either seen spirits and a couple of times she claims she saw Satan. I have no idea why she thinks it was Satan. She didn't have anything good to say about Satan but it sounded encouraging that Satan wasn't happy at least the first time she claims she saw him watching us.

My relative told me when she goes, she will be greeted by a lot of her family and friends who have already passed over. As we get older the number of family and friends waiting to meet us after we pass over grows larger and larger if we live long enough I've been told.

I once seriously thought I was going to die one night which didn't make any logical sense because I was home and in bed. I saw death coming for me floating down in the sky. It was dark outside but I woke up from this dream or vision. I did not want to go. I felt I was spared. A powerful tornado shook our house moments later not damaging it one bit not even a single shingle but it totally destroyed and swept away all the trees at the end of the house and large branches hanging almost on the roof. I never posted this next statement I believe on ATS before. I prayed not to be taken. I believe my mother was praying too. I imagined a giant hand reaching out over our roof protecting us in answer to our prayers. I guess for the atheists out there, they would probably say I was dreaming since I was trying to sleep. I had to be awake to pray. I believe in the power of prayer.

I met one atheist in college and thought it was amusing that he had a crisis because of all the extraordinary things he saw around me. He didn't even see all the really weird stuff. I thought maybe he wasn't the brightest person around easily beating him about 8 times in a row playing chess. Then he told me he was his High School chess champion.

I believe there is a lot going on in the spirit world. I don't usually see anything though unless it's really unusual or a spirit in my house being friendly. Even then I don't see anyone. I've seen something unusual in my vision when the spirit or ghost gets right in front of me and then touches me.

The most amusing encounter was when something opened a lobby door for me and some guy in the lobby saw something that scared the living daylights out of him. I was a bit concerned about what he saw that scared him so much. Maybe he saw something I didn't. Sorry if my post seems to ramble.
edit on 28/11/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Hi BlueAjah,

To answer your question--yes, your grandmother is seeing spirits. I know because my grandmother, who passed away at 90, had the identical experience.

In the two years before she died, my grandmother told me that she had seen my grandfather who had been gone for many years, that he "visited" her regularly. Also, she knew when her sister died and when her son died without anyone telling her. I don't know if my uncle visited her, too, but she told me she sensed it before I changed the subject.

I could go on but this is just to let you know that your grandmother is in between worlds right now. Please cherish all the time you have with her now. Talk to her, get her to tell you as many stories about her life that she can remember. But know that once she passes she will still be in your life--just on the other side of this reality!

edit on 29-11-2012 by markg713 because: What the # kind of message board is this?

edit on 29-11-2012 by markg713 because: I made a typo. # you, ATS.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Eternal Life? What a depressing thought.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

A few years before my grandpa died he had to go to a rest home to recover from a fall. I remember talking to one of his neighbors in the home about the puppies under his bed. He was very concerned about these puppies starving and kept throwing his food under the bed (to the nurses endless frustration).

The nurses called it dementia, but I saw it as one of the last tender mercies that this life could offer him. Instead of being cooped up in a joyless room, his brain created a world where he was still needed and loved.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

just make her feel lots of love.

well, you could use this opportunity for an experiment. Try to find a psychic in you're area who isn't a scammer. It would be quite interesting.

I'm on the fence whether talking to ghosts is a genuine phenomenon.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Yes, she is seeing spirits.

But the medical industry calls it dementia because those who control it try to suppress everything that has to do with the spirit world because if the masses discovered that the spirit world is real, those in power would lose their power very quickly...

edit on 29/11/12 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I work with the elderly... and you should know Dementia is NOT a normal part of the ageing process...

Now on the subject at hand...

Many if not most of my residents experience this... Many will talk to people that are not there, and have full conversations with people when no one is around.

Usually when people are close to passing they will see spirits of their loved ones that have passed in dreams... and sometimes even when they're fully awake.

What you are saying is not based on fact at all. Alzheimer's, a form of dementia, caused by plaque build up on the brain alone effects over 30% of whites, 58% of African Americans, and 62% of Hispanics over the age of 85.
www.alz.org... - Pg 16
There are also many other forms of dementia, and given this persons age it is highly probable that this is what they are suffering from.

Your Grandmother is speaking to spirits my friend... That IS a normal part of the aging process

*facepalm*, nice opinion, source please, giving this advice to people and presenting it is fact is dangerous, when these people speak to the spirits that tell them to do something dangerous are you going to sit back and let it happen because the spirits are telling them to do it? or are you going to look at the more plausible and scientifically and factually sound answer that dementia has set in and this person can no longer think rationally and therefore safely for themselves.

I myself do believe there is more to this world and believe it is possible that they do see spirits, but I have also seen the effects of dementia first hand and advise that If you really do care for the elderly, by all means let them have their beliefs but do not take their beliefs as fact for yourself when you are supposed to be looking out for their safety.
edit on 29-11-2012 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I’m sorry to hear about your Grandmother OP. Hope she had a good life and finds peace.

The only experience I have had of this kind was when I was visiting my older sister in our local hospital. I can’t remember why she was in – it wasn’t anything serious, just a precautionary stay over, but there was an old lady in her ward, must of been 80-90 at least and you could just tell she would never leave the hospital again. She was very brittle and in and out of consciousness. At one point, she started speaking as if to nobody, it still shivers my spine thinking about it! She was saying things like “Help me, Mother. I’m ready, come and get me,” then a long pause before “please.” She said more but I can’t recall it all word for word.
I’ll never forget that as long as I live (apart from the wording ). My entire family that was visiting my sister just stopped talking and we all had a look on our faces like somebody had just walked over our graves! I’m not sure what it was she was going through, be it a mental illness or not but it sure makes you stop and think when you witness something like that. Pretty spooky.

Another subject people have been posting about are there dreams where they meet loved ones that have previously passed. My mum once told me about one she had. It was about two years after my Grandpa had passed and my Granny was very ill. She said that in the dream she was in a field and close to a house that was brimming with people and laughter. The house was completely fenced off and she said that my Grandpa came walking down from the house and that he looked middle aged and healthy. With him was the two dogs that they, and she, had grown up with – Emma and Sandy (think it was Sandy). Anyway, he spoke to her over the fence telling her that everything would be fine and that Jenny, my Granny, would be joining him soon and not to worry about her anymore. My mum said the strangest thing was the fence, neither my Grandpa or the two dogs attempted to cross it or get near my mother. There was also something about water that she mentioned – either she was standing in it or he was, sorry I can’t remember! Either way, I’ll never understand whether it was my Mum’s sub-conscience trying to help her through a tough patch or whether that house really is somewhere in the cosmos but either way it must of helped her and I enjoyed reading everybody’s other experiences!!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I doubt you will find any hard facts that can support or discredit the idea of spirits or an afterlife. I for one believe in both. I also believe that past family and friends will come to the aid of one who is passing on to help them thru the transition. My grandmother passed away recently after suffering a sudden brain anuirism. During her time in the hospital, she had brain surgery and came out ok, though unable to speak. She seemed lucid and was able to respond to our questions by head movements. Then one day i walked in and she greeted me very warly eith a loud "Hi Mijo! Sit down coffee will be ready soon." we chatted as long as she was able. That night almost all of our family had dreams of family members who passed away coming to look for grandma. The next morning she took a turn for the worse and never spoke again. She died the next day and as she took her dying breath a tear rolled out of her eye. I believe her sister, dad and other family came to take her.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

What you are saying is not based on fact at all. Alzheimer's, a form of dementia, caused by plaque build up on the brain alone effects over 30% of whites, 58% of African Americans, and 62% of Hispanics over the age of 85.
www.alz.org... - Pg 16
There are also many other forms of dementia, and given this persons age it is highly probable that this is what they are suffering from.

Did i say it was based on fact?

What i said was based on opinion... and experience dealing with the elderly.... And the OP didn't ask what caused dementia in any case.

IF what i said was based on fact... i would have linked a source...

Like this...

Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias are not a part of normal aging

www.alzheimer.ca...

Like i said... its NOT a part of normal aging...

*facepalm*, nice opinion, source please, giving this advice to people and presenting it is fact is dangerous, when these people speak to the spirits that tell them to do something dangerous are you going to sit back and let it happen because the spirits are telling them to do it?

Try reading what i said... I didn't state what i said as a fact... This is comming from a very spiritually versed person... In Many cases the people that experience what i was speaking of have absolutely no mental health condition what so ever... Seeing "spirits" is a normal when someone is close to passing... Even when theres no mental health condition.

or are you going to look at the more plausible and scientifically and factually sound answer that dementia has set in and this person can no longer think rationally and therefore safely for themselves.

I would never mix my beliefs with my career... Regardless of what i believe... I have to keep things strictly on a professional level... Meaning i can not give my opinion to these people... i can only give comfort.

On the other hand this is a forum... and here i can freely use my beliefs in my posts at my own leasure...

I myself do believe there is more to this world and believe it is possible that they do see spirits, but I have also seen the effects of dementia first hand and advise that If you really do care for the elderly, by all means let them have their beliefs but do not take their beliefs as fact for yourself when you are supposed to be looking out for their safety.

Your advice is not wanted, needed, or appreciated....especially comming from the condescending stance you've taken here...

I have no reason to lie about what i do for a living... and i don't lie either way...

I was offering some comfort to another member of this forum from a spiritual point of view...

So to reiterate...... I didn't say what i said was based on fact... It was an opinion based on experience dealing with the elderly... and not all of them have mental health conditions. Yet almost all of them experience this phenomenon...

Thanks for the reply... Try reading what you're replying to next time

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
My guess is that the 'Veil' opens slowly to those on their way to the afterlife. but that's only an opinion.
But remember back earlier this year when Steve Jobs died... He appeared to be looking ahead at something and said "Oh Wow" ....... then he passed. It would seem he saw someone that was there to meet him, or something ultimately magnificent, something he had possibly never imagined, as he seemed awe struck.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join