It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Believe Something Will Happen On December 21?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
So here we are less than a month away from December 21. Over the past years and decades much has been written on the topic. However, much of that has focused on what people believe is going to happen. We haven't really investigated why people believe something will happen. So I'm hoping that in these last few weeks we can investigate what over the years has convinced people that something will happen next month. Maybe we can learn a little bit more about the 2012 phenomenon by investigating what has spawned the beliefs. And maybe we'll be able to learn a little bit more about why people believe in predictions like these in general.

So, like the thread title says, why do you believe something will happen on December 21?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I could well be wrong, but i always picture Americans doing the most believing/prepping?

I personally haven't come across or heard of any English people believing or prepping, will be interesting to hear some people's thoughts on this.

Edit: Sorry, i forgot to mention that i don't believe anything will happen.
edit on 27/11/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

It's a good question. I don't know why I feel something may happen maybe it's because I read too much stuff on conspiracy websites.
Most "experts" agree that it should be just a normal day.
I know in my head nothing should happen but in my heart I feel something may happen.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
To be honest the idea has been promoted to death over the last few years to the point that I have completely forgotten what got me interested in the date from the get go. Where did I hear about it? What did I believe was going to happen? I have become desensitized to the date. In me it sparks nothing but an eagerness for it to be over and done with already so we can all focus on what REALLY matters in the world. The Middle East Crisis. The global financial crisis. Real stuff.
edit on 27/11/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/11/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I also don't believe anything earth shattering will happen on that date. No nibiru, no physical pole shift, nothing like that. Possibly blue beam might occur just to take advantage of all the built up "hype", but honestly I don't think it is yet time for that either.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mycomputer

It's a good question. I don't know why I feel something may happen maybe it's because I read too much stuff on conspiracy websites.
Most "experts" agree that it should be just a normal day.
I know in my head nothing should happen but in my heart I feel something may happen.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That's actually quite a good point.

We have been bombarded with everything from doom and gloom to a new age of enlightenment surrounding 2012. It's become such an encompassing meme that it plants the idea in people and makes everyone uncomfortable.

Even Hollywood has gotten in on it with a stream of movies and end of the world documentaries.

I don't see it as new, but instead the latest incarnation of the end of the world scenario. It seems to me it's repeated over and over in every generation one way or another.

I've come to see it as being an extension of the natural fear of the unknown. Question is do we let ourselves be drug into the fear aspect or see it for what it really is?

I'm certain when 2012 is over a new one will arise immediately to replace it.

Problem is many choose to profit financially off our natural fear of the unknown and perpetuate myths and fear needlessly. It's a part of how we are made and they know that just like that fear leading to myths, it's a pathway to peoples wallets if they play on our natural fears.

I honestly believe many of the sources of these end of the world idea's do not believe in it themselves, but push them for the agenda of profits or it gives them a feeling of power to scare others.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/27/2012 by Blaine91555 because: fix error

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I want something to happen. A bit like finding a lottery ticket blowing up the street, and waiting for saturday to see if you win, but knowing more likely than not you'll just end up throwing the ticket away... you still stop to check.

I'd love it if woody harrelson was standing on a mountain peak as it erupted casting boulders down around everywhere as the earth opened up and spat out lava..

I rekon that'd be neat. Well it'd be interesting anyway. Good way to spend a Friday Afternoon.

It's a Friday by the way. 21/12/12.

But it'll end up being the friday that came and went. Like everything else. And the goal posts will be moved, because after all the hype, you cannot expect the people who are so dead certain that something will happen, will let it go.

Still... Angus T Jones has become a god-fearing born again christian wot hates two and a half men and wants out. The world has already cracked open and the madness has spilled forth.

edit on 27-11-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

My two sources have told me similar, yet different cryptic messages several years ago when I asked.

The first told me, "Everything will be revealed"

The second one told me, "The cord will be unpluged"

Now, I have had several years for those to rattle around in my brain and I still can't figure out what it could all mean.

Honestly, I think I'll wake up the next day and life will continue. Perhaps a major scientific discovery will happen that will take decades to be fully realized?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The only thing that has me spooked is a horrible dream I had. I don't know what the date was supposed to be in my dream, but there were missiles in it, and an explosion, and then nothing. It spooked me so much!! In the dream I was at a person's house who in real life I hadn't spoken to in over a year. Not long after this dream that person contacted me, and now we are friends again, and while she doesn't live in a house facing the ocean like in my dream, she did move into a house with a big picture window (like in the dream). I have had a couple of dreams come true in the past, though I guess only a couple out of hundreds of dreams I remember isn't much, right? I realize it's probably from watching stupid documentaries or random things on the internet, and probably nothing will happen...but still nervous anyway.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sorry wrong thread, my bad.

edit on 11/27/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Perhaps a major scientific discovery will happen that will take decades to be fully realized?

Like this....Self-filling waterbottle announced

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It's going to be hard to top the 2012 phenomena simply because there's that pesky mayan calendar "thing".
And as we all know on ATS, every other month it seems there's a new "world ending" event predicted.
My prediction is the sun will come up and set as normal and the world will continue on without a hitch.
BUT - there are plenty enough people caught up in various psychoses that some fool or set of fools might possibly go ballistic and do some really stupid things - let's just hope none of them are in the military or government.

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I need to be on record as one who also does not expect anything drastic or overtly unusual to happen.

Caveats: there is always the possibility that something could "begin" that day and take weeks, months, years, etc to make its impact.

Secondly, I also would probably like to see something happen because the world we now have is not good enough to be what I want my children to inherit.

Last, don't forget that some things could happen, the world would end, but there would be no sensory advance warning and we would never know the difference.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I don't think something will happen on Dec 21st any different than any other year, my reasoning is simple.

Whenever this is a hype like this over a "prophecy" it tends ot get muddied over time by all the people trying to make a quick buck, and while there may be isolated instances of people committing suicide when they find out they've been taken, the hucksters, like Nancy Lieder will just come out with a new date and continue to get their flocks to blindly follow.

Remember that minister that kept predicting the end of the world? And people would give up their life savings to get his message out even though his dates kept changing time and time again? (I cannot for the life of me remember his name offhand) same thing here...

Just my humble opinion anyhow, take it for what it's worth..

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Don't think anything major is going happen. Once this passes they'll have a new date, new excuses, new theories, new DVDs, new books and the list goes on and on.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I dont think it will be the end of the world but,..I do think something(s) will happen that will not be pretty.

There are parties scheduled that will be BIGGER than New Years Eve! Some will be going wild and crazy and parting like there is NO tomorrow.

Some crazy folks may take this moment to make a big bang, simply to blame it on the date.

Me and my family plan stay at home and play scrabble.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think there will be a disturbance in the noosphere.

noosphere.princeton.edu...

Many people will become enlightened. Many more won't. Other than that, not much will happen. The planet won't blow up...an asteroid won't strike...no plague of locusts...ect.

Why do I think that? Because I'm a UFO contactee, an astral traveler, and occasionally a psychic. So I know that anything is possible, and enlightenment can strike like a thunderbolt.

edit on 27-11-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I have no idea if something will happen or not. I'm just curious about this ancient date.

My curiosity stems from my belief that some extinct civilizations knew some things that we don't or noticed things that we haven't because they had nothing better to do but observe whereas our lives are full of man-made distractions.

Our lives have been shaped by different forces of civilization than that of those that came before us. Their extinction does not mean everything they knew was wrong. If a future civilization arose from the ashes of ours would they discount everything we thought just because our civilization was gone? That arrogance leads to repetition of tragedies.

What I think is that if there is anything to December 21, 2012 Mayans may have noticed some type of long universal cycle we have not and interpreted it using their own limited knowledge accurately or not. We'll find out very shortly now anyway.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Why do I believe? Lets watch Obama. See where he spends the event. Denver? I'm thinkin!!! In fact trace his Denver visits back to prior events rumored here on ATS.

If he goes under ground, shouldn't we? Think about it....Isn't this really the biggest "Tip Off" of all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join