It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drove 3 hours on Thanksgiving only to be rear-ended turning into the driveway of my destination!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Car Insurance is a Crock of "Shih Tzu"

Three cars were involved- following too closely. My car was propelled into a stand of young trees, as I lost traction on impact. We waited by the road for 1.5 hours for the Highway Patrol to mosey on over. I missed the meal with my extended family and the annual group picture.

The verdict-- Me: Not at fault. The other two cars: YES and YES at fault. My car has substantial body damage, no right blinkers, no tail lights, and leaking... something. Thankfully, no one in any of the cars was injured.

I spent the rest of the "Holiday" on the phone, demanding a rental car to get home, towing for my car, and repairs. Here's how that went:

Called my Agent (State Farm) ..."Our offices are closed for Thanksgiving. Here is the 24-Hour number if you need assistance..."

24-Hour person: "Do you want to make a claim?"
Me: "I guess. I have never, ever had to call before. I am not at fault. Will my rates go up if I make a claim?"
24-Hour person: "I can't answer that."
Me: "Even if I'm not at fault?"
24-Hour person: "I just can't guarantee. You might want to call the other driver's insurance company and make a claim."
Me: "Wait... why am I paying you again???"
24-Hour person: "Ma'am, you can make a claim with us. Do you want to make a claim?"
Me: "You already told me you can't guarantee my premium won't be raised, even if I PROVE I am not at fault."
24-Hour person: "That's right. Only an Agent can advise you of that."
Me: "Let me speak to an Agent then."
24-Hour person: "This is Thanksgiving. There are none available."
Me: "REALLY??? On the busiest travel day of the year? I am stranded 150 miles from my house and I need to get home!"
24-Hour person: "I'm sorry. You can make a claim, or you can call the other driver's insurance company, or you can call back at 7AM in the morning and speak to an Agent."
Me: "I'd rather speak to MY Agent. Will they be open tomorrow (gave name of town and Agent.)"
24-Hour person: "I'm sorry, I have no way to know that information. Some offices are taking Friday off too b/c of Thanksgiving."

Next Day:
Long story short... my Agent's office was closed Friday. I left 4 messages and have YET to hear from them. 24-Hour Claims Agent said nothing different than the flunky I talked to Thursday. Would not even LISTEN to me unless I initiated a claim. Would not guarantee my rates would not go up if I did so. Sooo....

Called other insurance company. Spent countless hours on the phone to their Agent describing the accident, damage, and reciting info off of the police report. Went to local City Hall and faxed Hwy Patrol's report. Called to confirm receipt of it b/c the Agent told me if everything I said matched the report, they would accept the claim. After calling that Agent's extension 8 times and waiting on hold for 5 - 15 minutes each time, I called and chose the option "...if you don't know your party's extension" just to get a warm body...

At that point, the first words out of my mouth were.. "I need you to pull up this Claim number I was given and see if it went thru."
Agent: "Umm... looks... like... we don't have all the information yet..."
Me: "Check the FAX machine."
Agent: "Oh yeah, here... wait... this isn't Form number..."
Me: "LOOK. Kinie (other agent) told me if I faxed the police report and it matched with what I told her, the claim would go thru. I did my part. Now you do yours. MAKE IT HAPPEN."
Agent: "Well, she's only talked to one of the drivers, I see here. They're saying THEY were hit from behind which may have..."
Me: "YEAH... BY HIS WIFE!!! --who is ALSO covered by your insurance."
Agent: "Oh. Well, the problem is, we haven't determined which policy will pay..."
Me: "That's YOUR problem. Either way, your company is paying for my repairs, a rental and towing. How or when you determine which policy to assign it to is not my problem. I am stranded. Do you get that?"
Agent: "Yes. I'm very sorry about that. Did she hit him before or after he hit you?"
Me: "I don't know, and I don't care-- and I'm not doing your detective work for you. I was struck from behind by one of your clients, while making a legal right-hand turn. You WILL ACCEPT my claim and get this ball rolling so I can go home."

Conclusion: I am currently driving a 2013 Hyundai Rental car; my car is being towed 150 miles on a flatbed to my choice of auto/body mechanic shop in my own home-town. THEN it will be appraised and all repairs paid directly to the shop. I will turn in the rental to the local branch in my town when my car is completely repaired with new parts like it came from the factory, not 'untwisted' beat-out, damaged parts.

BUT... I stayed on the phone for untold hours, with a high level of stress, plus I had to get really rude to get my due. That's just not right. WHERE WAS MY INSURANCE COMPANY IN MY ONE TIME OF NEED???

Yesterday, I went to State Farm to turn in the police report (b/c Hwy Patrolman said we all had to) and I read them the riot act. I made them sit and listen to the entire chain of events, because I documented every step of the way. I told them I had YET to receive a return phone call from them, and for all they knew, I was STILL stranded 150 miles away.

They stuck me in there with the 'head honcho' to try to smooth it over (or maybe so the other customers wouldn't hear me rant?) My final words: "After all the money I've paid out to you... the ONE TIME I needed you: Like a good neighbor-- you WEREN'T there!!! AND, just so you know... Direct General (other insurance) is looking pretty good to me right now. They've agreed to everything I've asked for. But more importantly... they were accessible when I needed them, on the busiest travel weekend of the year."

Thank you for listening...

Feel free to:
A) Console me and tell me how wronged I was.

B) Post your own Car-Insurance-Horror-Story-RANT

C) Post stories of your AWESOME experience with your Auto Insurance Company. ('cause believe-you-me, this chick's shopping around!!!) Note: DON'T actually 'advertise' for an insurance co... prolly against T & C. But nothing bad can come of you telling of a good experience!
edit on 11/27/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Nice rant. Make me furious just thinking a bout it. I hit a deer once and got attitude starting from the cops who at first didn't believe I hit a deer until I told him "to use those things that are attached to your legs ..you know, what do you call them?..yeah.. I remember, feet use 'em and walk around to the other side of the car." He wouldn't even inspect my car. just gave me lip. I got attitude all the way to the auto-body shop. Very bad experience. I empathize with you.
edit on 27-11-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
And I bet you were not indicating for at least 3 seconds before you put your brakes on to turn?

Sure it's the other cars fault, but if you had done that they would have had warning. Two things were at play here.

1. Car follows too closely and can't stop in time but is not expecting someone to stop suddenly as they are not indicating.
2. Car no indicating and slowly slowly instead of breaking hard to frighten the cars following... ( come on, we all know we do it)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
And I bet you were not indicating for at least 3 seconds before you put your brakes on to turn?

Sure it's the other cars fault, but if you had done that they would have had warning. Two things were at play here.

1. Car follows too closely and can't stop in time but is not expecting someone to stop suddenly as they are not indicating.
2. Car no indicating and slowly slowly instead of breaking hard to frighten the cars following... ( come on, we all know we do it)

You bet??? You bet??? Why not just ask me. I knew the turn was approaching. I turned on my blinker. THEN I let off the gas. THEN I applied brakes and commenced to turn.

The other two drivers did not contest this statement to the highway patrol. That is why the form states that both of them contributed to the accident, but I did not.

Edit to Add:

If you cannot avoid rear-ending someone on a road when they stop suddenly, for whatever reason, you are following too closely. Period.
edit on 11/27/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Bummer.

I almost got rear ended on the highway yesterday, after driving 400 miles to get my car that had been in the shop getting fixed for the last 40 days. It was heavy traffic and the dude was looking the other way. luckily I have cat like reflexes and was able to get out of the way in time.

But I tell you what, that guy was about 6 inches from getting shot in the face.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Bummer.

I almost got rear ended on the highway yesterday, after driving 400 miles to get my car that had been in the shop getting fixed for the last 40 days. It was heavy traffic and the dude was looking the other way. luckily I have cat like reflexes and was able to get out of the way in time.

I have learned to keep a wide berth between me and the car in front of me on the Interstate to take up the slack of the people behind me. People who tale-gate are only asking for trouble!

So you had just picked your car up from the shop? Geez...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Sorry to hear that. Up north here, if you get rear ended, it's automatically the rear cars fault. No questions. I guess that and 4 days would get you to your State farm agent though.

We had a house not far from me where the owner parked the car in the garage, then the car caught fire and burned down most of the house. They had State Farm for both Home and Auto. It took almost 1 year to get paid. They had a sign out by the road with State Farm and the number of days since they filed their claim. I don't know what the hang up was, but that was enough to make me glad I have nationwide. They are nice and even didn't raise my rates when my teenager bumped into another car.

If you want, I can send you some leftover turkey?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Sorry to hear that. Up north here, if you get rear ended, it's automatically the rear cars fault. No questions. I guess that and 4 days would get you to your State farm agent though.

We had a house not far from me where the owner parked the car in the garage, then the car caught fire and burned down most of the house. They had State Farm for both Home and Auto. It took almost 1 year to get paid. They had a sign out by the road with State Farm and the number of days since they filed their claim. I don't know what the hang up was, but that was enough to make me glad I have nationwide. They are nice and even didn't raise my rates when my teenager bumped into another car.

If you want, I can send you some leftover turkey?

I'm glad Nationwide is on your side, lol.
Yes... do U2U me some turkey ASAP!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Bummer.

I know what you mean. I also have cat-like reflexes: I panic, claw the driver's eyes, jump into the backseat, race from side to side, and pee myself.

You should read my interviews with the police....

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

You should get someone to record one of your episodes.

I would pay money to see something like that.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Bummer.

I know what you mean. I also have cat-like reflexes: I panic, claw the driver's eyes, jump into the backseat, race from side to side, and pee myself.

You should read my interviews with the police....

I most definitely want to read the interviews. I so want to!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You poor thing! I hope someone saved you a big plate of the Thanksgiving meal. Now, did you do it right and sing the 'Like a good neighbor state farm is there' song? You would've magically ended up at the family gathering all safe and sound.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Really good reason to rant, and congratulations on staying the course!! Probably your insurance rates will go up, as mine did, after being hit by by a veering car who slammed on their brakes, under wet snow conditions. The police report assigned fault to the other driver, I filed on their company, didn't help me. Times have changed. Insurance companies are no longer our friends. We are required by law to have, and considering the outrageous costs of repairs, need to have......is a racket.

Really rotten Thanksgiving, hope Christmas makes it all better.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

You were supposed to sing the song.

"Like a good neighbor........"

I'm just glad you are okay and healthy.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

In your situation, that was terrible and not good advertisement for them for sure. Hope you go to another company. On the busiest days of the year 'Holidays' agents aren't available?!? Hmmmmm!?! Time to keep shopping.....for another Ins. Co. Good luck with your claim. I hope it all goes easier from here forward.

edit on 27-11-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
You poor thing! I hope someone saved you a big plate of the Thanksgiving meal. Now, did you do it right and sing the 'Like a good neighbor state farm is there' song? You would've magically ended up at the family gathering all safe and sound.

Now see, that's what I hate-- those microscopic clauses they tack onto the policy agreement before you sign. Of COURSE I know now- thanks to you- that all I had to do was belt out their heart-warming jingle to the top of my lungs at the moment of impact! Every State Farm agent within a 20-mile radius would have immediately abandoned their mountainous plates of food and raced to my side to take care of everything!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Really good reason to rant, and congratulations on staying the course!! Probably your insurance rates will go up, as mine did, after being hit by by a veering car who slammed on their brakes, under wet snow conditions. The police report assigned fault to the other driver, I filed on their company, didn't help me. Times have changed. Insurance companies are no longer our friends. We are required by law to have, and considering the outrageous costs of repairs, need to have......is a racket.

Really rotten Thanksgiving, hope Christmas makes it all better.

Are you kidding me??? You filed a claim with the other driver's insurance company, but YOUR rates still went up?
What the h*ll justification could they possibly have? You weren't at fault, they didn't have to pay out on a claim... how can this be?

Thank you for telling me. If this happens to me... I am going to become their worst nightmare.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

You were supposed to sing the song.

"Like a good neighbor........"

I'm just glad you are okay and healthy.

I know I know, but landing in the trees rattled my brains and I accidentally sang, "Nationwide... is on your side" instead. Think I ticked 'em off or som'n?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo

In your situation, that was terrible and not good advertisement for them for sure. Hope you go to another company. On the busiest days of the year 'Holidays' agents aren't available?!? Hmmmmm!?! Time to keep shopping.....for another Ins. Co. Good luck with your claim. I hope it all goes easier from here forward.

edit on 27-11-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

Thanks for understanding my outrage, DaphneApollo...
I hope now that they finally accepted my claim and provided a rental & towing, that they will come thru with paying for the repairs like they promised. (You just made me realize I have absolutely NOTHING from them in writing. Just my own anecdotal notes.) Oh well. This is my first experience making a claim.

Anybody know if they can lie to me over the phone about what they plan to do? (Like, vow to pay for all repairs and then back out and leave me with the tab.)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012

Sorry but quite clearly, the brake lights tell you the car is stopping. See break lights, slow down. It does not matter what else happens! Two cars following way too close or not paying attention, sounds like it runs in the family.

P

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join