It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye, USS Enterprise

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So I'm currently on the USS Enterprise and she will be officially inactivated on the first. It's a crazy ship with a very storied history. Anyway, curious if there are current or former members of the crew on here. Im curious what reactor department was like back in the day

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Excuse me, but this can't be right. There are dozens of ATS members who absolutely insisted the USS Enterprise was to be the cause of a "False Flag" event as it was sunk "by the Iranians" (cough!) in the Strait of Hormuz, thus disrupting oil shipments and being the cause of WW III. One of the underlying reasons this was going to happen was that the US did not want to spend the billion dollars it would take to deactivate the ship's eight reactors, so it was to be sunk in the middle of a sea lane to save the expense.

And NOW you are telling me the USS Enterprise is sitting in its home port of Norfolk, Virginia, never to sail again? You must be delusional. Where are all these ATS'rs who will set you right?

Crickets.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
No even gonna lie that's what we thought was gonna happen, but Iran was pretty well behaved. This deployment was definitely a lot less eventful than the last one.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I hate to see her go. She needs to become a museum somewhere, instead of just being scrapped. Something about ships named Enterprise in "recent" years seems to guarantee that they have an ignominious end. The Enterprise in WWII had the most amazing battle record of any ship in the war, (missed one battle by one day), and after the war she was cut up for scrap and sold to Japan. Now this one, with her long history, and all the firsts she provided, will probably end up the same way. Sad really.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yup, it's gonna be scrapped. The reason is that to get the reactors out they have to cut up the flight deck and lift them straight out. The newer CVN designs have two reactors instead of eight and can more easily be salvaged. But with this massive surgery there's not enough left to create a museum. It would be too costly to put it back together. As I understand it, after the reactors are removed it will be towed to the Inactive Ships Command in Bremerton. To me that seems like an unnecessary expense, but that was what I was told.

OP, if you have any "Enterprise stories" you'd find a ready audience here.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
He current enterprise would be a radcon nightmare to turn into a museum. There was talk of putting the tower in the smithsonian but it's not even the original one, so I guess they nixed that idea

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I don't really have any enterprise stories per se. I can say that like pretty much everything that could have broken this deployment did. Being in reactor department is never a hookup though. Tough work but rewarding in the end. We did follow sandy up the coast when we were coming home and that is probably the 4th most rocking I've ever felt in my life.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
damn it, that sucks. I would make it a point to go see it.

Why can't they cut the side of the ship instead?

It sucks.

The name "Enterprise" is just an important part of our era. We should keep her somewhere for posterity. I don't want to shave with bits of her or eat canned beans out of her.

link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Excuse me, but this can't be right. There are dozens of ATS members who absolutely insisted the USS Enterprise was to be the cause of a "False Flag" event as it was sunk "by the Iranians" (cough!) in the Strait of Hormuz, thus disrupting oil shipments and being the cause of WW III. One of the underlying reasons this was going to happen was that the US did not want to spend the billion dollars it would take to deactivate the ship's eight reactors, so it was to be sunk in the middle of a sea lane to save the expense.

And NOW you are telling me the USS Enterprise is sitting in its home port of Norfolk, Virginia, never to sail again? You must be delusional. Where are all these ATS'rs who will set you right?

Crickets.

How cute and smug of you with the trump card of hindsight to propose such a possibility as incredibly "asinine"...

They is nothing far fetched about how sinking the Enterprise and blaming it on Iran would have accomplished several goals and agendas simultaneously...so stop acting like it was a ridiculous idea to even contemplate.

Personally I am please the opportunity of a lifetime was passed up and not taken advantage of by the criminals who would love a reason to avoid the $$ of decommission and occupy Iran...

link   
Maybe they should send her back to 1941 to prevent Pearl Harbor.....again.

Anyone see Kirk Douglas?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have been on this ship but never served on it.

Beatiful piece of machinery it is and I think even after they cut out the reactors they should do some repairs and at least put it back together enough to give tours.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

HELL YES!

Love that movie.

I always think they will go through with it "this time" every time I watch it.
edit on 27-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Maybe they should send her back to 1941 to prevent Pearl Harbor.....again.

It was the Nimitz that was sent back....

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

How would they get the crane in to lift them up through the side?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

How would they get the crane in to lift them up through the side?

Use rails, and then lift from a deck you have built on the side. Or right onto a pier and use a large pier crane.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
[quoteote]Originally posted by schuyler
Originally posted by Sly1one

How cute and smug of you with the trump card of hindsight to propose such a possibility as incredibly "asinine"...

They is nothing far fetched about how sinking the Enterprise and blaming it on Iran would have accomplished several goals and agendas simultaneously...so stop acting like it was a ridiculous idea to even contemplate

Your post is amazing! Even after the whole thing is proven wrong you are still at it. If you had bothered to look at the previous threads on this issue you would have seen my arguments against the idea and the reaction to them. It was absolutely ridiculous, stupid from the get go on many levels.

So YES, now I get to say "I told you so." It was a ridiculous idea from the beginning and it's still ridiculous, the product of overactive imaginations and abject speculation using selective evidence, typical fare for ATS that will believe anything. These "goals and agendas" are made up. You may as well be talking Queen Elizabeth is a reptilian.

And now you don't even have the good grace to admit you were wrong. "woulda coulda" doesn't cut it. It didn't happen. Get over it. See you on December 22nd.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yup, it's gonna be scrapped. The reason is that to get the reactors out they have to cut up the flight deck and lift them straight out. The newer CVN designs have two reactors instead of eight and can more easily be salvaged. But with this massive surgery there's not enough left to create a museum. It would be too costly to put it back together. As I understand it, after the reactors are removed it will be towed to the Inactive Ships Command in Bremerton. To me that seems like an unnecessary expense, but that was what I was told.

Good summation Schuyler.

The Bremerton ghost fleet is an amazing sight. There is some serious history rusting dockside not to mention the mindboggling weaponry the collection represents.

CV's USS Ranger, USS Constitution, USS Independence, USS Kittyhawk, CGN USS Long Beach, CG USS Vincennes ( of Iran Air flight 665 infamy), DD USS Turner Joy ( Gulf of Tonkin incident ) plus over a dozen SSN's, SSBN's and SSK's.

Hands down the coolest sight ( for me ) was the U.S.S. Missouri before she was struck from the reserve registry and towed to Pearl Harbor.

OP, if you have any "Enterprise stories" you'd find a ready audience here.

I second that OP.

You mentioned this deployment was less eventful than the last, anything you can share with the groveling masses?

There is way to much imagination and uniformed speculation regarding Iran on this board, it would be nice to get some context and input from somebody who has actually been involved.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Uhhh last deployment we did a bunch of really cool stuff. One time we were having an all hands call on the flight deck and Iran decided to fly a p-3 over our flight deck. Like right over and low. The handler was like," if you look to the left you can see an Iranian p-3. Everyone give them your best greeting." so we flipped them off.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
Hands down the coolest sight ( for me ) was the U.S.S. Missouri before she was struck from the reserve registry and towed to Pearl Harbor.

Thanks for the memory. The USS Missouri was parked where it was since I was a small kid. My Dad would drive us up from Tacoma once in awhile. That was when Commencement Bay was filled to the brim with old Liberty Ships awaiting the scrap yard. I could see them from our house on Carr Street above Old Tacoma. I'd seen it many times before I got a job in Bremerton and drove past it twice a day. Then they towed it away from us. I know it wasn't "ours" and I know it's fitting that it is now moored next to the USS Arizona. It fits. But there wasn't a dry eye in town when they towed it away. Now we've got the friggin' Turner Joy. From greatness to infamy.

Story is a bicycling couple made a cross-country trek with the end point being the Missouri, and when they got there, it wasn't there. That would have been a bummer!
edit on 11/27/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
As for the taking the reactors out. They won't do that at the pier at all. It's going to be sitting in a dry dock. It won't completely destroy the hangar bay or the flight deck. If you look hard enough you can see the circles under the non-skid where they've cut holes before for refueling. Kind of neat. I don think the reactors could come out on tracks though. I would say it would be nearly impossible.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join